New College Basketball/Sports blog

whats good everybody? Started up a college basketball blog and thought some of you might be interested. Feel free to comment/email me about it. And PLEASE letme know if I'm being impartial enough. I'd like to be able to write professionally in the future, and I don't want to give away my duke bias!

http://theletterofintent.blogspot.com/

Tell your friends!
happy.gif

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Saturday, August 1, 2009[/h2]
http:// [h3]Kentucky's Shame...[/h3]

Well folks, here's post 2 for The Letter of Intent, and I've gotten a lot of props for post 1 so thanks to all who showed feedback. I've had this on my mind for a while, and I've argued day and night about it so I thought I'd bring it to the LOI.

Kentucky. Home of the Wildcats. Home of Adolph Rupp, one of the winningest (and most racist) coaches of all time. Home of the infamous Ashley Judd. Home of 7 National Titles. Where Jamal Mashburn, Antoine Walker, Tayshaun Prince, and Rajon Rondo donned the blue and white.

There is no doubt Kentucky has it's place in history. They've been known for their winning...and for other things as well. After the 1989 season with Eddie Sutton, UK was slapped with NCAA sanctions stemming from their involvement of extensive payments to recruits and improper assistance on college exams.

They were also the "other team" in the infamous 1966 National championship game that lost to the all-black starting 5 of Texas Western. Ultimately cementing themselves in the pantheon of other teams you love to hate including, the 1980 USSR hockey team, the 2004 Lakers, and the 2009 New York Yankees. Well actually, make that just the New York Yankees period.

That's right Kentucky has their fair share of pride and history, but also a history of turning an eye to questionable practices.

Enter...John Calipari.

Now regardless of your stance on John Calipari, the one thing you must admit is that the man wins ball games. At UMASS he finished with a 189-70 record overall, 3-time A-10 coach of the year, a NPOY in Marcus Camby...

...And sanctions from the NCAA for Camby receiving $28,000.

At Memphis he was equally as successful, acquiring a 252-69 record overall, 3-time C-USA coach of the year, 2008 National Coach of the year, and a record 4 STRAIGHT 30-WIN SEASONS...

...And potential sanctions from the NCAA for a certain 2007-08 player who got a little "help" on his SAT's (Cough, Derrick Rose, Cough, Cough). Not to mention a certain little job he got Dajuan Wagner's Father as Coordinator of Basketball Operations in 2001 so that his son would show up on campus.

Catching onto the pattern here?

This guy is the ultimate slime ball. A coach who literally will do anything it takes to win, even if that means crossing the line. When you start paying players, and you turn a blind eye to tampering with entrance exams you develop this reputation yourself. Many of the coaches I have found myself surrounded with all laugh when they hear his name come up. He's a JOKE. In every sense of the word. But what does he do year in and year out? Top 5 recruiting classes. Easily.

Look at his 2009 Class...keep in mind he's been on these kids for a couple months at most.

http://kentucky.scout.com/a.z?s=48&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2009

#1 PG ***** John Wall
#2 C ***** Demarcus Cousins
#4 C ***** Daniel Orton
#6 PG **** Eric Bledsoe
#10 SF **** Jon Hood
Juco SF *** Darnell Dodson

That incoming class is downright silly.

The fact of the matter is, this is what the state of recruiting is in 2009. This slime ball has finally gotten the job that he has wanted in one of the premiere hoops programs in the country and look what he does. How do classy programs with no NCAA blemishes keep up with this?

"Well, Son. You could come to (Insert Big 10 School here) and work your butt off in the classroom, earn your way onto the floor by beating out upperclassmen, and go through the rigors of the big-10 season...OR..."

You could go to Kentucky. Where no one expects these kids to go to class. No one expects these kids to graduate, or even give anything back to the community. They are expected to WIN, at any and all costs. And after a year of showcase, you tiptoe to a lottery pick in the NBA and a career of making millions.

It's disgraceful. And as a passionate lover of the game of basketball it sickens me to see what he is able to accomplish. To let him off the hook at UMASS and Memphis, and allow him to just do what he wants is despicable. the NCAA needs to crack down on this, and soon.

And to add insult to injury, I logged into my twitter today to find this gem from Coach Cal,

"...Create relationships that go beyond your family and take pride when good things happen to others as if it were your own success."

W. T. F.

I hope that one day Coach Cal finally gets his due. I hope that every single time he makes it to the championship game he chokes it away ala 2008.

I once asked a close friend of mine that if I were offered a job in Kentucky's program under John Calipari, should I take it?

His Response...

Never. Once you become associated with that clown, you become forever tainted. You represent all that is wrong with college basketball, and you'll never live it down.

Kentucky's Shame?

I think it's only just beginning...

indifferent.gif

- you need a history lesson on Adolph Rupp.

- that "other team" in 1966...well, they're were zero black players in the SEC, not just UK...and it was also the first season in which therewere black players in the ACC...a grand total of two, i believe. it's well documented that it wasn't easy to get black players to attend southernschools due to all the hardships these players would face.

- UK has "a history of turning an eye to questionable practices"??? and you proved that by going back 20 years and 4 coaches ago. a coach who wasfired and contributed really nothing to UK's history of success.

- Calipari reported the Camby situation to the NCAA himself....and you didn't mention the exact same situation regarding Corey Magette, a player who tookmoney from an agent, admittedly, and played in the Final Four. but UMass's FF was vacated, yet Duke's was not...

- Coach K and Calipari have the same # of NCAA violations in their coaching file...

- and yeah, nobody expects the kids at UK to go to class, and "give back to the community," and blah, blah, blah....
eyes.gif

Na, Adolph Rupp was a racist WildKYcat, ain't no denying that. And don't give me the it was the times, and other schools didn't know have blackplayers either at the time. That might me be true but dude was a racist period.

"Harry, that son of a @%%#* is ordering me to get some @++$!+@ in here. What am I going to do ? He's the boss."- Adolph Rupp

i'm not saying he was or he wasn't....but there's just as much "evidence" to support claims that he wasn't racist as there are to sayhe was.

it's kinda pointess to get into it...but i always remember this quote about Rupp:

"I know there have been a lot of people who thought he was a racist. But I think the times can dictate how people act -- where you're brought up, how you're brought up. If he was a racist, he wasn't alone in this country. I'm never going to judge anybody. . . . That's a long time ago, too . . . You learn from the past, and you go on." - Orlando "Tubby" Smith

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

i'm not saying he was or he wasn't....but there's just as much "evidence" to support claims that he wasn't racist as there are to say he was.

it's kinda pointess to get into it...but i always remember this quote about Rupp:

"I know there have been a lot of people who thought he was a racist. But I think the times can dictate how people act -- where you're brought up, how you're brought up. If he was a racist, he wasn't alone in this country. I'm never going to judge anybody. . . . That's a long time ago, too . . . You learn from the past, and you go on." - Orlando "Tubby" Smith

Yea, as I said he was a product of the times, 95% of white males his age in the south were racists, still doesn't justify the fact. And it ain't likeTubby Smith knew the guy exactly. And y'all weren't exactly fair in your treatment of Tubby either, and lets not pretend skin color wasn't involvedin that either.

i'm not saying he was or he wasn't....but there's just as much "evidence" to support claims that he wasn't racist as there are to say he was.

of course he wasn't the only one who harbored a racist state of mind, that doesn't excuse the fact that he had one at all. Wrong is Wrong Cat
smh.gif

yo, i ain't ever said anything was right, i was just commenting on how this was presented...
Adolph Rupp, one of the winningest (and most racist) coaches of all time
because he was the better coach amoungst all the other "racist" coaches that makes him the "most racist"???

as far as Tubby goes, y'all know i was a big Tubby fan...but UK fans loved Tubby Smith, the person, the man. he's said he will come back to live inKentucky when he's done coaching and he'll have a banner in Rupp Arena with his name on it one day. but UK fans grew tired of Tubby the coach...theprogram was on a downward spiral at the end of his tenure, no denying that...i think it's similar to Michigan and Tennessee football fans and theirfeelings toward Lloyd Carr and Phil Fulmer (earily similr to Fulmer's situation.) Fans loved the guy...just wanted some change. the fans who'sdislike for Tubby due to race were minimal and in no way, shape, or form represented the generel consensus.

the whole point is that if this guy wants to do this proffessionally...better come with something better than a bunch of garbage...no one's going to pay toread or have written a guys opinions spewed in this manner.

The fact of the matter is, this is what the state of recruiting is in 2009. This slime ball has finally gotten the job that he has wanted in one of the premiere hoops programs in the country and look what he does. How do classy programs with no NCAA blemishes keep up with this?

"Well, Son. You could come to (Insert Big 10 School here) and work your butt off in the classroom, earn your way onto the floor by beating out upperclassmen, and go through the rigors of the big-10 season...OR..."

It's disgraceful. And as a passionate lover of the game of basketball it sickens me to see what he is able to accomplish. To let him off the hook at UMASS and Memphis, and allow him to just do what he wants is despicable. the NCAA needs to crack down on this, and soon.

And to add insult to injury, I logged into my twitter today to find this gem from Coach Cal,

"...Create relationships that go beyond your family and take pride when good things happen to others as if it were your own success."

W. T. F.

I hope that one day Coach Cal finally gets his due. I hope that every single time he makes it to the championship game he chokes it away ala 2008.

I once asked a close friend of mine that if I were offered a job in Kentucky's program under John Calipari, should I take it?

His Response...

Never. Once you become associated with that clown, you become forever tainted. You represent all that is wrong with college basketball, and you'll never live it down.

does it "sicken" you that the NCAA let Duke off the hook for Magette? how "dispicable" is that? that "closefriend" of yours' opinion holds a lot of weight.
eyes.gif

I'd like to get you, nolan (allen) and I working on a little college bball joint together in the future... i've got a lot of the structure of the sitebuilt already, just need content (i.e., you and him
laugh.gif
)...

get at me sometime if you're interested.

give me a month to get fball outa my system craftsy...plus after that post article..ima fan for the time being and nothing more

objective opinion on the blog:

writing style reeks of amatuerism.

(Cough, Derrick Rose, Cough, Cough).

Many of the coaches I have found myself surrounded with all laugh when they hear his name come up. He's a JOKE.

W. T. F.

His Response...

seriously?

most of it reads like an angry 6th grade english report.

real journalist dont use terms like the ever so eloquent "W.T.F" .

continued citing of 'the coaches around you' and 'your friend' lend no legitimacy to the article because Coach Schmoe of East High's JVsquad and Dave at the 7-11 dont count.

sit yourself down and read an article by any reputible sportswriter and seriously ask yourself if it reads anything like yours at all.

as obvious as this should already be, if you want to write professionally, your going to have to be professional in your writing.

simply put, this is an atrocious offering.

sit yourself down and read an article by any reputible sportswriter and seriously ask yourself if it reads anything like yours at all.

Well - I for one find most sports writers to be idiots who care more about journalism than sports. But that's just my opinion.

I prefer somebody having a writing style unique to their own personality over somebody who follows all the rules of journalism... take passion overprofessional anyday.

That being said - You make a few good points, but i think you're being a bit harsh.. this is a blog, after all. Just because dude said he wants to writeprofessionally someday doesn't mean that everything he writes, including his first attempts at blogging, have to be done in a strictly professional manner.

I remember when I started blogging in like 8th grade... i still look back at that garbage sometimes now and just cringe and get douche chills... I have a veryconversational tone in all my writing, but I wanted to punch the person speaking in those early writings because he was a pompous @!$!+%@+@. I probably have alot of that in me still according to most here, but the point is, it can take awhile to get the hang of blogging because it's kind of just a conversationwith yourself until you figure out who your audience is.

give me a month to get fball outa my system craftsy...plus after that post article..ima fan for the time being and nothing more
I didn't hear - what happened with the post article?

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

That being said - You make a few good points, but i think you're being a bit harsh.. this is a blog, after all. Just because dude said he wants to write professionally someday doesn't mean that everything he writes, including his first attempts at blogging, have to be done in a strictly professional manner.

sports journalism is a competitive business.

you dont get better by having people coddle you.

i read it, and then i stated my honest objective opinion.

i obviously wasnt critisizing because im a memphis fan.

spun things the wrong way and the last thing id ever wana do is reflect georgetown negatively

Originally Posted by Al3xis

spun things the wrong way and the last thing id ever wana do is reflect georgetown negatively

I didn't think the guy made you look bad in particular... but i guess being included in that type of list of names the way he wrote it, it's a prettybad look for you.

You didn't know he was going that direction when you got interviewed?

i had a half hour convo with him and i wasnt thrilled those were the quotes...i knew it was about independent recruiting info sites but not the shadydealings...i mean my blog doesnt fall in line with those other sites anyway. oh well.

there's a difference in talking/posting about one's team a lot and being a homer.

someone wants to take shots at UK, by all means....just have some backing.

this particular entry in dude's blog has one clear agenda...to hate on Cal and UK, which is fine, it's his blog...

what is "this"??
You could go to Kentucky. Where no one expects these kids to go to class. No one expects these kids to graduate, or even give anything back to the community.

based on what? UK's best player, Patterson, will graduate after this season, his junior season, btw.

W. T. F.

"w t f" is right...as in what the $*@$ are you talking about? who's "injured" that this "insults"???

[Mike Gundy]IT'S GARBAGE![/Mike Gundy]

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

this fool wildcat will defend anything about Kentucky

I can deal with his homerism though...manamazing on the other hand...

laugh.gif
no %$*!

wildcat the homie tho i just call a spade a spade thats all
wink.gif
laugh.gif

G, i was more or less asking the author of this entry (a duke fan) how he feels about the Magette situation...seeing as how he felt that what happened atUMass with Camby was "dispicable."

Coach K is aight in my book, you gotta respect the man. any hatred towards Duke i put out is just good ol'-fashioned ribbing, at least when it'sdirected to you guys (cake, dre, malta, haiti)...y'all know that.

your boy Laetner reached into my 11-year old body and pulled my heart out thru my !++ (nh?)...so with all due respect, !+@+ duke.
laugh.gif

Coach K is aight in my book, you gotta respect the man. any hatred towards Duke i put out is just good ol'-fashioned ribbing, at least when it's directed to you guys (cake, dre, malta, haiti)...y'all know that.
your boy Laetner reached into my 11-year old body and pulled my heart out thru my !++ (nh?)...so with all due respect, !+@+ duke.
laugh.gif

laettner_387x550.jpg

Back
Top Bottom