New College Basketball/Sports blog

OKAY! Let's go, folks! I saw my thread falling off the front page, so I figured it had come and gone, until I stumbled upon it again and found so manypeople responded to it. Let me see if I can explain myself a little bit.

First of all. WildKYCat. Now, we've had our tiffs in the past, and I understand where you're coming from here. But calling my stuff trash, when I'mgiving you facts is kind of ridiculous. Hate on me all you want for my opinion, which it's just that, MY OPINION. But don't call my stuff nonsense whenI have facts to back it up.

Second of all, it is a BLOG in every definition of the word. I do want to eventually get my writing to a more formal level. However, this is just thebeginning. A way of getting my ideas out and seeing what people think of it!
Coach K and Calipari have the same # of NCAA violations in their coaching file.
Not quite...you see unlike Calipari, Coach K has stayed at the same job essentially his entire career. He doesn't cheat, and then leave whenthings get hot like at UMASS and Memphis. The sanctions get place on the PROGRAM but the coach is really the one responsible for it. After all, that is acoach's place to know what is going on in their program at all times.

About Adolph Rupp, pick up a book and read about some of the things he did back then. I really don't have time to explain his racism to you.
but UK fans loved Tubby Smith, the person, the man.
Tubby Smith is one class act. I got the chance to meet him this past year in Minnesota, and I left impressed. The way Kentucky handled hissituation was straight up disrespectful. They wanted a new flavor of the week...and well they got it with Gillespie. Sure worked out, didn't it?

I'd like to get you, nolan (allen) and I working on a little college bball joint together in the future... i've got a lot of the structure of the site built already, just need content (i.e., you and him
laugh.gif
)...

get at me sometime if you're interested.

Absolutely Ryan, get at me on PM or shoot me an email through the blog. I'd be happy to talk.

continued citing of 'the coaches around you' and 'your friend' lend no legitimacy to the article because Coach Schmoe of East High's JV squad and Dave at the 7-11 dont count.
See this is where I get in trouble. I agree with you 100% but in my place within the team I work for, I can't divulge names or identities. Ifyou have an idea as to how I can anonymously cite coaches and players better than that, I'm all ears. And as for the "atrocious offering"...Isaid it earlier, it's a blog and I'm not writing it professionally. I mentioned how I want to eventually but right now I'm looking at finding acontent stream. Nevertheless, I appreciate the input!

G, i was more or less asking the author of this entry (a duke fan) how he feels about the Magette situation...seeing as how he felt that what happened at UMass with Camby was "dispicable."
You mention this Maggette situation numerous times. The truth of the matter is I'm not an NCAA official. Believe it or not, they know just asmuch about what transpired with Corey as they did with Marcus. The fact that nothing has been charged shows that they simply don't have enough evidence orreason to go through with the proceedings. To suggest that K somehow is "paying them off" or is somehow in a higher position because of his personais ridiculous.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's opinion on the blog! It is very much a work-in-progress, and something that I might be looking to expand and do a bitmore professionally in the future. I just ask that you take my opinions with a grain of salt, and keep reading, because the only way I can get better isthrough feedback from people I respect that read this board as well!

OK...let's get FACTUAL, shall we?

you called Rupp "the most racist" coach...how do you quantify this? you're either racist or you ain't. but somehow, you decided that Ruppwas the most racist of all....ok.

nobody expects kids at UK to go to class, graduate, or give back to the community...where did this come from? where's your facts?

FACT is...Calipari has zero NCAA violations under his name. none. Calipari's name was not included in the NCAA's report on Memphis...that's aFACT. The NCAA cleared Derrick Rose to play college basketball...that's a FACT.

here, just read this...it's from one of your own, Jay Bilas:
UMass' 1996 Final Four season was vacated because Marcus Camby took money from an agent. Calipari was not named in the investigation and not named in the findings. And with such a low burden of proof (i.e., none) for the NCAA to satisfy, the NCAA would have named him if they could have.

In this latest case, Calipari was not named in the allegations or in the findings. Call me old-fashioned, but when I imply that a coach was masterminding academic fraud and conspiring with accounting staff to undercharge for charter flight services, I require credible proof. There is none. And when there is no proof, I try not to use coded terms like "plausible deniability" to call a guy a cheater.
Originally Posted by DevilDynasty32

You mention this Maggette situation numerous times. The truth of the matter is I'm not an NCAA official. Believe it or not, they know just as much about what transpired with Corey as they did with Marcus. The fact that nothing has been charged shows that they simply don't have enough evidence or reason to go through with the proceedings. To suggest that K somehow is "paying them off" or is somehow in a higher position because of his persona is ridiculous.

yeah, i mentioned it...and you failed to answer the question...was it as "dispicable" as the Camby/UMass situation?

back to FACTS:
For those unfamiliar, here's the deal: A summer basketball coach named Myron Piggie made cash payments to Maggette when the elite recruit was still in high school, and that money came from a revenue pool that included donations from at least two sports agents.

Connect the dots, and it's clear Maggette benefited from money supplied by agents, meaning his amateur status was compromised. Still, none of this was public knowledge at the time. So the NCAA cleared Maggette to play at Duke, and he helped the Blue Devils reach the 1999 Final Four before entering the 1999 NBA Draft.

Less than a year later, a federal grand jury handed down an 11-count indictment of Piggie that details the payments to Maggette. Piggie cut a deal and admitted to making the payments; Maggette admitted to receiving the payments. So none of this falls under the he said/she said umbrella, and the NCAA's Jane Jankowski was quoted in April 2000 as saying that the NCAA "will have to determine if Duke, in fact, had an ineligible player in the NCAA tournament. And, if so, what monies would have to be returned for use of an ineligible player."

Fast-forward nine years, and no money has been returned. The banner still flies.

So I asked Paul Dee about strict liability Thursday. He's the chairman of the NCAA's Committee on Infractions.

I wanted to know whether a school that played a player who was later found to have taken cash would also be at risk of the strict liability clause and thus forced to vacate anything and everything made possible by said player.

At first, Dee said he wasn't aware of any case that fit my description. But then I told him the story of Duke and Maggette, at which point he said, "I don't know that a case was brought against Duke for that, whether he admitted it afterward or not, or whether somebody brought the case or not. And I'm not familiar with that particular case or that particular issue."

To answer Dee's questions:

[size=+1]•[/size] Yes, a case was brought against Duke.

[size=+1]•[/size] Yes, Maggette admitted taking the money.

Still, it took nearly four years -- and a push from Yahoo! Sports' Dan Wetzel, who wrote a splendid column about the situation at the 2004 Final Four -- for the NCAA to address the Maggette situation. In what can best be described as a strange press conference, NCAA president Myles Brand called NCAA Vice President of Enforcement David Price to the podium in San Antonio.

Here was his explanation: "Our executive regulations specify that if an individual plays while ineligible in the NCAA championships, we can either vacate the team's participation in the championship and/or assess a fine for the money that they received. The standard for that is whether either the institution knew or should have known that Maggette was ineligible or if Maggette himself knew that -- or should have known that he was ineligible. After a lengthy investigation, we came to the conclusion that there was insufficient evidence to determine that Maggette knew or should have known, and we believe firmly that the institution did not know and should not have known."

How the NCAA could determine that Maggette didn't know he was taking money from Piggie is tough to understand, particularly when Maggette had long ago testified under oath that he, you know, took money from Piggie. Hilarious, right? But the key point is how the NCAA basically said Duke wasn't penalized because it did not know and should not have known that Maggette was ineligible.

To that point, it's important to remember that the NCAA has made no allegation in the Memphis case that the school knew or should have known that Rose was ineligible, but for some reason that doesn't seem to matter. The NCAA is now throwing around the term "strict liability" and explaining how the only thing that matters is that the Tigers used an ineligible player, and that's why the school's Final Four banner is coming down just 16 months after earning it.

Meanwhile, Duke's 1999 Final Four banner still flies high.

And when people claim the NCAA uses selective enforcement, this is what they're talking about.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/12096928

Coach K has stayed at the same job essentially his entire career. He doesn't cheat, and then leave when things get hot like at UMASS and Memphis.
eyes.gif
Cal left those places for better jobs.

About Adolph Rupp, pick up a book and read about some of the things he did back then. I really don't have time to explain his racism to you.
how about a DVD?

FF_126571_s.jpg

yeah, i got it.

The way Kentucky handled his situation was straight up disrespectful.
how so? what exactly did Kentucky do to disrespect Tubby? Tubby resigned and took another job.

But don't call my stuff nonsense when I have facts to back it up.
the only fact is you hate UK and Coach Cal.

[Mike Gundy]IT'S GARBAGE! GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT![/Mike Gundy]

I've been a professional sports journalist the last five years, so allow me to offer some of my insight:

1)It's important to remember that it's his blog. Disagree with his opinion, fine, but he can say what he wants because I doubt he's trying toportray himself as a legit sports journalist (and if he is....well, not much I can say there).

2) The writing is horrible. As others have said, it reads like that of an amateur. If you're a rookie writer, particularly blog writer, the presentation ofyour thoughts and opinions is CRUCIAL. Since it's opinion writing, presentation is a big deal in regard to credibility because obviously you won't begoing by straight facts, or you'll be ignoring other facts, since it's a blog and, essentially, your own personal writing outlet.

3) The only way to get better is to keep writing. Develop a style and personality, and in my honest opinion, No. 1 priority should be to cut the elementarystyle of writing and hone that skill first.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

OK...let's get FACTUAL, shall we?

you called Rupp "the most racist" coach...how do you quantify this? you're either racist or you ain't. but somehow, you decided that Rupp was the most racist of all....ok.

nobody expects kids at UK to go to class, graduate, or give back to the community...where did this come from? where's your facts?

FACT is...Calipari has zero NCAA violations under his name. none. Calipari's name was not included in the NCAA's report on Memphis...that's a FACT. The NCAA cleared Derrick Rose to play college basketball...that's a FACT.

here, just read this...it's from one of your own, Jay Bilas:
UMass' 1996 Final Four season was vacated because Marcus Camby took money from an agent. Calipari was not named in the investigation and not named in the findings. And with such a low burden of proof (i.e., none) for the NCAA to satisfy, the NCAA would have named him if they could have.

In this latest case, Calipari was not named in the allegations or in the findings. Call me old-fashioned, but when I imply that a coach was masterminding academic fraud and conspiring with accounting staff to undercharge for charter flight services, I require credible proof. There is none. And when there is no proof, I try not to use coded terms like "plausible deniability" to call a guy a cheater.
Originally Posted by DevilDynasty32

You mention this Maggette situation numerous times. The truth of the matter is I'm not an NCAA official. Believe it or not, they know just as much about what transpired with Corey as they did with Marcus. The fact that nothing has been charged shows that they simply don't have enough evidence or reason to go through with the proceedings. To suggest that K somehow is "paying them off" or is somehow in a higher position because of his persona is ridiculous.

yeah, i mentioned it...and you failed to answer the question...was it as "dispicable" as the Camby/UMass situation?

back to FACTS:
For those unfamiliar, here's the deal: A summer basketball coach named Myron Piggie made cash payments to Maggette when the elite recruit was still in high school, and that money came from a revenue pool that included donations from at least two sports agents.

Connect the dots, and it's clear Maggette benefited from money supplied by agents, meaning his amateur status was compromised. Still, none of this was public knowledge at the time. So the NCAA cleared Maggette to play at Duke, and he helped the Blue Devils reach the 1999 Final Four before entering the 1999 NBA Draft.

Less than a year later, a federal grand jury handed down an 11-count indictment of Piggie that details the payments to Maggette. Piggie cut a deal and admitted to making the payments; Maggette admitted to receiving the payments. So none of this falls under the he said/she said umbrella, and the NCAA's Jane Jankowski was quoted in April 2000 as saying that the NCAA "will have to determine if Duke, in fact, had an ineligible player in the NCAA tournament. And, if so, what monies would have to be returned for use of an ineligible player."

Fast-forward nine years, and no money has been returned. The banner still flies.

So I asked Paul Dee about strict liability Thursday. He's the chairman of the NCAA's Committee on Infractions.

I wanted to know whether a school that played a player who was later found to have taken cash would also be at risk of the strict liability clause and thus forced to vacate anything and everything made possible by said player.

At first, Dee said he wasn't aware of any case that fit my description. But then I told him the story of Duke and Maggette, at which point he said, "I don't know that a case was brought against Duke for that, whether he admitted it afterward or not, or whether somebody brought the case or not. And I'm not familiar with that particular case or that particular issue."

To answer Dee's questions:

[size=+1]•[/size] Yes, a case was brought against Duke.

[size=+1]•[/size] Yes, Maggette admitted taking the money.

Still, it took nearly four years -- and a push from Yahoo! Sports' Dan Wetzel, who wrote a splendid column about the situation at the 2004 Final Four -- for the NCAA to address the Maggette situation. In what can best be described as a strange press conference, NCAA president Myles Brand called NCAA Vice President of Enforcement David Price to the podium in San Antonio.

Here was his explanation: "Our executive regulations specify that if an individual plays while ineligible in the NCAA championships, we can either vacate the team's participation in the championship and/or assess a fine for the money that they received. The standard for that is whether either the institution knew or should have known that Maggette was ineligible or if Maggette himself knew that -- or should have known that he was ineligible. After a lengthy investigation, we came to the conclusion that there was insufficient evidence to determine that Maggette knew or should have known, and we believe firmly that the institution did not know and should not have known."

How the NCAA could determine that Maggette didn't know he was taking money from Piggie is tough to understand, particularly when Maggette had long ago testified under oath that he, you know, took money from Piggie. Hilarious, right? But the key point is how the NCAA basically said Duke wasn't penalized because it did not know and should not have known that Maggette was ineligible.

To that point, it's important to remember that the NCAA has made no allegation in the Memphis case that the school knew or should have known that Rose was ineligible, but for some reason that doesn't seem to matter. The NCAA is now throwing around the term "strict liability" and explaining how the only thing that matters is that the Tigers used an ineligible player, and that's why the school's Final Four banner is coming down just 16 months after earning it.

Meanwhile, Duke's 1999 Final Four banner still flies high.

And when people claim the NCAA uses selective enforcement, this is what they're talking about.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/12096928

Coach K has stayed at the same job essentially his entire career. He doesn't cheat, and then leave when things get hot like at UMASS and Memphis.
eyes.gif
Cal left those places for better jobs.

how about a DVD?

FF_126571_s.jpg

yeah, i got it.

The way Kentucky handled his situation was straight up disrespectful.
how so? what exactly did Kentucky do to disrespect Tubby? Tubby resigned and took another job.

But don't call my stuff nonsense when I have facts to back it up.
the only fact is you hate UK and Coach Cal.

[Mike Gundy]IT'S GARBAGE! GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT![/Mike Gundy]

*DEAD*

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom