New Overtime Proposal for NFL Playoffs PASSED

Good change. A 60+ yard attempt in OT to end the game never sat well with me. Even with good coverage it's easy to get that far in field for one.

Originally Posted by BayBuryYa

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

King stole that from Clayton, John been speakin on that for weeks now. 

I get that point, but if that's the problem, and you wanna change rules for OT, fine, change the kickoff to whatever you want then.  Make the team drive 50 yards instead of 45 and now the percentages will average back out again and more games will go further along.

All this coin flip drama is a bunch of whining over nothing.  GB won the coin flip last year, how'd it work out for em?  And yet, they had the play before where all they had to do was get that long completion, they just didn't make it.  In the end it comes down to make the plays. 

Don't like losing on a field goal?  Don't give up a field goal.  It's that simple. 

This is a stupid rule change.  I wanna see the NBA change playoff Overtimes to 10 minutes.  Or MLB switch playoff games to 12 innings instead of 9. 

Another stupid knee jerk reaction pushed thru by Goddell, quickly becoming one of my least favorite men in sports.  Get Tags back in office asap before Goddell moves the NFL to Tuesdays.

I agree.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
And I'm SURE it's a coincidence this rule change gets a complete passing the one offseason after Brett Favre was eliminated from the conference championship on an OT field goal
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
This is why I'm not for the rule change.  Nobody ever cared about OT complaints until Brett Favre didn't get a chance to lead yet another magical comeback drive.  @%+! outta here, NFL.

Well didnt the Vikings vote "no" for the change?  So...

I don't know. I have mixed feelings because there are some positives to it in the sense that a coinflip doesn't put you in the drivers seat to just get near the redzone and kick a FG, but overall, it just doesn't sound like real football to me with this "If X then Y, but not Z" crap.

^ The thing I like about it is that it makes defense and the endzone more important than a FG, as it should be.

If you win the toss and you kick a FG then I get my chance and I hit the endzone, I win, as it should be.

If you win the toss and I get a pick 6 off you, I win, as it should be.

If you win the toss and hit the end zone, you win. Now, THIS scenario still rubs me the wrong way, but not completely. I still have a problem with the team that lost the coin tss never having a chance to let their offense take the field, but the reason I don't have a HUGE problem with it is this: that team's defense let the team that won the toss march right into the endzone. See, I have a problem with a team winning the toss, getting the kick, moving forward 30-40 yards and ending the game on a FG. I don't have as much of a problem with a team winning the toss, moving forward 60-70-80 yards and dancing in the endzone. I feel bad for the losing team's offense never hitting the field in OT, but I still have to ask the losing team's defense 'Really? It's overtime and you just let them get a kickoff and march into the endzone? Seriously?'

If you win the toss and hit a FG then I get my chance ad kick a FG, it's back to sudden death; first to score anything wins, as it should be. Both of our offenses took the field in OT, so both of our offenses had a chance to hit paydirt, and failed. We can't be here all day, so now whoever gets any kind of score wins, period. I had a problem with 'Whoever scores after the coin toss wins', because it favors the luck of the coin toss. I don't have a problem with THIS because the offense and defense of both teams took the field in OT at least once.

Boo. Leave the rules the way they are. I guess I was the only one that preferred sudden death.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

I agree.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
And I'm SURE it's a coincidence this rule change gets a complete passing the one offseason after Brett Favre was eliminated from the conference championship on an OT field goal
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
hand_reaching.jpg

Back
Top Bottom