New York Giants Season Thread!...The Tommy Cutlets Era

What should the Giants do in the first round?

• Take a QB

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Barkley

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Chubb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade down

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't even know what to say... last season was bad enough but this is sinking even lower than I thought. What terrible management and lack of direction in how this was handled and what the last couple seasons and future will look like.

Why?

We already have a slot in Shep. Tate played slot last season.

:smh: They’ll gonna let Shep leave next offseason too. Watch...

Last edited:

Tate is a strange fit for a team in the middle of a rebuild, even if the Giants want to pretend otherwise. He's a tough receiver and a willing blocker, but his best spot in the lineup is in the slot, where he caught 150 passes from 2015-17. That was the sixth-highest total in the NFL over that time frame. The Giants already have a slot receiver in Sterling Shepard, who is far cheaper than Tate; the Oklahoma product has 149 receptions in the slot over his first three seasons in the league, which is third in the NFL. We already saw what happened last season in Philadelphia when the Eagles traded for Tate and were stuck trying to fit Tate, Nelson Agholor, Jordan Matthews, and Zach Ertz in the slot for targets. Tate got lost in the shuffle.

Furthermore, Tate turns 31 in August. He's smart enough to get by without every ounce of athleticism, but the Giants guaranteed him enough money to make this a very expensive two-year deal or a reasonably expensive three-year pact. The Giants are blindly backing Eli Manning, who will receive a $5 million bonus Saturday, for 2019; even if we assume that they'll have a new quarterback in 2020, Tate is not going to be a long-term solution for a team that needs to be looking for long-term solutions right now. General manager Dave Gettleman is papering over the holes in this offense with trades and free-agent signings, just as Jerry Reese did with the defense years ago.

To add insult to injury, the one positive coming out of the Landon Collins situation is that the Giants were going to get a third-round compensatory pick for their star safety, who left for Washington. By signing Tate, the Giants will cancel out the compensatory pick and instead send another third-rounder to the Eagles, who are already getting one for Nick Foles

Okay, I like Tate but now I'm really lost. We gave our 3rd round pick to the Eagles to sign this guy when we have a slot guy. I'm really lost.

signing tate could be end of shep run here as well. maybe they dont want to sign him either.....don't understand the move....3rd round is a great find to find starting WRs many star WRs found in that round.

giants really want to give the start of the season a shot.......they figure with this up and down division we start off hot we could make playoffs......going to be hard with this defense......

we didnt give up a 3rd round pick to get tate.....when you lose guys in free agency the NFL gives you a pick in the next draft.....if we didnt sign anyone likely we would have gotten 3rd round pick for losing landon but since we got tate likely it would be 4th or 5th round and eagles get 3rd round.....but it was going to happen regardless some team was going to some tate wasnt like he was going to be unsigned.

Man, I can't believe we traded away the face of the NFL, the best WR in the game and the best WR we've ever had. I can't ****in believe it. What a ****in joke. We're basically paying him for this season, might as well keep him this season. I'm ****in sick, ****in sick, ****in sick.

IMG_6491.jpg

Let go of Beckham, acquire Tate and overpay him at that, whos running the show in this front desk man...lmao

Man, what in the world are the G-Men doing? I saw my dude @johnnyredstorm goin' off on OBJ and I don't quite agree. I don't believe that Odell is a 'cancer' or bad teammate. Dramatic? Yes. Diva? Sure. Almost comes with the WR position nowadays. The best cure is winning and production. The Steelers beat the Broncos and/or win the AFC North, none of the Big Ben and AB intensifies to the magnitude it did. Winning and success solves nearly everything in a locker room. No owner would be happy shelling out $21.5M for five wins and a star player who played 12 games. It was OBJ's 'worst' year since his rookie season, if you don't count '17, the year he fractured his ankle. But it was clear Gettleman and Shurmur were never fully on board with OBJ's $95M extension a year ago. They were looking for someone to scapegoat. It's not rocket science, the market resets itself every time a star player at the position gets a new deal. A.J. was pretty early at a good price for Cincy. Then "Nuk" for $81M. The dominoes begin to fall. Mikey for a little more, Beckham for a lot more. AB just got his with Oakland.

So my problem is not with the Giants trading OBJ. It's debatable whether they should or not. My issue is the return they got for a 26-year-old receiver entering his athletic prime. OK, Gettleman's thinking is Jabrill Peppers becomes a like-for-like replacement for Collins. A poor man's version to fill the hybrid LB/SS in-the-box role. Plus Jabrill got ties to Jersey, being that he went to PC. But beyond Peppers, the pick compensation is lowly and putrid. Only #17 and #95. Especially when you're trading with a team, the Browns, who are asset rich when it comes to draft picks. They have #49, #80 and #119 in this year's draft. G-Men didn't even get Cleveland's 2020 first-round or second-round pick(s). We're talking about perhaps the best WR in the game. AB is turning 31 before the season starts. Julio just turned 30. A.J. also turns 31 before the season starts. OBJ is only 26 years old! A guy under team control for another five whopping years. If you wanna go full rebuild mode, fine. But extract maximum value while you do it. OBJ was the Giants's best asset by far. Now that only leaves Saquon.

Then Gettleman follows up the bad trade by signing Golden Tate to a four-year, $37.5M contract. A guy that operates best out of the slot. When you already have one of the better slot receivers in the league, Shep, on the cheap in 2019. Didn't my Eagles already show you guys that Tate needs a team with a hole or deficiency in the slot. He was vying for targets with Ertz, Nellie and J-Matt, and it just didn't work in Philly.

Onto the aforementioned Landon Collins. How in the world do you not place the non-exclusive franchise tag on him?? At most, Landon gets $11.25M to play the 2019 season in a Giants uniform. I get that he's unhappy with that and may threaten to hold out, but he's able to negotiate with other squads under the non-exclusive. If someone like Washington signs Collins to an offer sheet, G-Men recoup two first-round picks for him. How do you just let him walk scot-free? He was your best defensive asset. Only just turned 25 and has an All-Pro season under his belt ('16). Yes, he doesn't cover well and had a mediocre 2018 but he just walked for NOTHING.

I'm normally a proponent of trading down when organizations are in full-on rebuild mode with numerous holes across the board, but you have to take Haskins if he's available at #6. I think he has as good as, if not better, NFL career compared to Kyler Murray. Or you dangle that #95 you just got from Cleveland in front of Arizona for Rosen. Then trade down from #6, unless Bosa or Quinnen Williams fall that low.

One last thing about the OBJ trade. Y'all know "Juice" was heavy in Dorsey's ear about potentially landing Beckham. Landry and OBJ been tight since their LSU days together in Baton Rouge. "Juice" was definitely getting his Mino Raiola on as an operative or liaison.

i wonder if the giants coaching staff saw something we didn't with OBJ. Has he lost a step since he injured his ankle?

Signing Tate and letting Collins go doesn't make sense though. The team may be REALLY bad next year

^i don't think the GM wanted him last year....it was ownership wanting to give the coach the best shot to win and keeping a HOF type talent.....this GM clearly has an ego......i think after the lil wayne interview the GM made his point to owners and thats what lead to this.......what i mean by GMs ego, he thinks teams win top down rather bottom up....and .he didnt like that OBJ was the face of the team....he wants barkley to be that face....he always talked about how he is a great kid on and on about it....OBJ didnt lose a step....look at production he did in 12 games with a QB that did nothing first half of season.....if he plays 16 games 1300 yards 10 TDs are low numbers for him.....effective offense next year 1500 yards 15 TDs easy.....

coaches want talent, no way pat wanted OBJ off this team........dont be shocked if years from now pat is gone because he fails that he states that he 1. didnt want OBJ traded. 2. wanted foles here......this is Pats last shot at coaching in the NFL.....i highly doubt he wants to risk his career on haskins or murray rather than going with foles.....

I don't mind lettting collins go, the way they did it was beyond stupid.....they were clueless to market....without a doubt if you franchise him you get anywhere from low 1st round pick to a 2nd round pick..... a team would have for sure wanted him on 11 mil deal in their system....our D coordinator/system is not good fit for landon.....we signed what 4 cards for D? clearly our D coordinator said i need my guys for this system to work....i'm not saying landon is a system safety just that teams need to put him at position to cover at his best....everything i read he covers well when he says with his man....but when he has to pick up someone elses man thats where his weakness comes into play....

our GM/front office does draft well.....hopefully he hits on some guys

Last edited:
I hope this BS about Giants not wanting Haskins is a smoke screen because no one needs a QB but us and Miami. Hopefully they're trying to make it seem as if we don't want him so we can grab him at 6.

I heard some people in the organization like Kyler but we can't get him.

If we don't get Kyler or Haskins, I think I might root against this team for the next few years until the GM and coaching staff is gone.

^^i agree, hopefully the giants are smart in hiding who they want...they seem to have a rep at sucking at keeping who they want as secret...if they can stay at 6 and get QB great.....but if they like murray they should go up and get him.....are the cards really giving up on rosen already??

cards/raiders didnt have anyone rep them at murrays pro day....odd that cards GM wouldnt be there

i can see the cards trying to play the we want murray game to see if giants or another team wow them for their pick.....there is chance that they dont get anyone to bite and they have to decide murray and trade rosen or bosa/allen and keep rosen.....i can see murray and haskins not having the market everyone thinks.....jags are out...giants/miami/broncos/skins/cards are the only teams i think are teams that might draft QB.

Last edited:
I don't think they're giving up, their new HC loves Kyler and probably wants his own guy. I don't think it's cause they think Rosen is trash or can't make it.

I really like Haskins arm. Being that accurate for his size and strength is pretty crazy. We better stay far away from Locke and Jones. They remind me of Davis Webb and Ryan Nassib. We will get laughed out of the league if we draft one of them at 17. Gonna be like when the Bills drafted Ponder at 12 or 13.

I don't think AZ is willing to trade that 1 pick and I think it's gonna cost a lot to get it. I rather just get Haskins at 6, feel like we would have to give up 2 1's and a 2 or 3 to get the 1 this year.

Everyone has a QB except us and Miami. Miami is at 13 and they're the only real threat for Haskins. I hope Miami trades for Rosen.

I hope this BS about Giants not wanting Haskins is a smoke screen because no one needs a QB but us and Miami. Hopefully they're trying to make it seem as if we don't want him so we can grab him at 6.

I heard some people in the organization like Kyler but we can't get him.

If we don't get Kyler or Haskins, I think I might root against this team for the next few years until the GM and coaching staff is gone.

I'm hearing the fans in NY are on edge. :lol: :smh:

They really testing people. If they don't pick Haskins or Murray I'm with you.

I don't think they're giving up, their new HC loves Kyler and probably wants his own guy. I don't think it's cause they think Rosen is trash or can't make it.

I really like Haskins arm. Being that accurate for his size and strength is pretty crazy. We better stay far away from Locke and Jones. They remind me of Davis Webb and Ryan Nassib. We will get laughed out of the league if we draft one of them at 17. Gonna be like when the Bills drafted Ponder at 12 or 13.

I don't think AZ is willing to trade that 1 pick and I think it's gonna cost a lot to get it. I rather just get Haskins at 6, feel like we would have to give up 2 1's and a 2 or 3 to get the 1 this year.

Everyone has a QB except us and Miami. Miami is at 13 and they're the only real threat for Haskins. I hope Miami trades for Rosen.
I thoroughly believe those 2 QBs will be off the board after 5 picks.

I thoroughly believe those 2 QBs will be off the board after 5 picks.

It's possible but I feel like Haskins is gonna be around because this is the first time in years no one needs a QB. Who do you think is moving up to take him?

Lions could try to part ways with their QB but I doubt it

Broncos got Flacco

Dolphins need a QB

******** got two QBs right now but they might want a young one.

Dolphins seem like the only team that could jump ahead of us and to jump from 13 to top 5 is gonna cost them a lot son.

1 1 Arizona Cardinals Kyler

1 2 San Francisco 49ers Defense

1 3 New York Jets Defense

1 4 Oakland Raiders Defense

1 5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Jameis

1 6 New York Giants Whole new team

1 7 Jacksonville Jaguars Foles

1 8 Detroit Lions ?

1 9 Buffalo Bills Allen

1 10 Denver Broncos Flacco

1 11 Cincinnati Bengals Red hair

1 12 Green Bay Packers Goat

1 13 Miami Dolphins ?

1 14 Atlanta Falcons

1 15 Washington ******** ?

1 16 Carolina Panthers

After the jags got Foles it's pretty much guaranteed that one of them will be available at 6. The Lions ain't spending that much money at the QB position, that would be crazy. Skins or Dolphins would have to trade a lot to move up that far.

I read online and heard on TV a few people think the Giants want Haskins. They said the interview went well and they’re trying to send smoke screens so he can fall to us at 6.

The team and GM are dumb enough for people to believe that we don’t want him so I hope this is true and we get him at 6.

Back
Top Bottom