New York Giants Season Thread!...The Tommy Cutlets Era

What should the Giants do in the first round?

• Take a QB

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Barkley

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Chubb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade down

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yea i can understand mcadoo going for it if we were a high scoring efficient. we are not. take the points. D has not been clutch. last week they kept vernon when he was clearly hurt big mistake looks like this will be a season long injury again for him. also JPP played every snap. these guys need rest for the 4th qtr DEs do a lot of running and hitting they need plays off.

crazy we could be tied for 1st if our punter and D were clutch and our QB would have added 2 more come from behind Ws to his total. but most teams that lose close games have those what ifs.

everyone was right that dallas would come back a bit. all teams in the NFC east have tough west coast trips and tough teams AFC west best division in football and their worst team has a good QB that can win games.

the division is not out of reach 2 games back from 2nd place qtr into season. if Dallas was 3-1 id think the season is over but philly being in first gives me some hope. don't think they will hold it. just like we lost 4 in a row that can happen to philly. take a look at their final 5 games. WOW..... won't happen to dallas. would love be 2 games back when we face dallas again.

next 2 games giants need to be all in and win and keep it going try to get to that 9 win mark. or lose out.

marshall has sucked because he is the 3rd or 4th read. that was the problem with cruz last season. and i'm shocked cruz didnt make the bears watched their game a bit at bar and wow their WRs are bad. if the giants had a better line like many of the top tier QBs/RBs have our offense/game plan would work. we don't therefor Eli has to get it out quick. first 2 weeks 8 sacks allowed! next 2 0. did the line get better? nah QB is doing short quick passes top in the league in completion % but thats short passes. we are taking 1-2 shots deep per game, blah

oh and i'm certain we lead the league in drops again.

oh and we didnt get blount, they brought him in but money wasnt there. i wasnt for that move but seems like the giants didnt sign him for money reasons yet have 10 mil in cap space. would have been a lot better for us to have him than philly right now. might have had us in 1st instead of them for just that small minor move.

Our record does not surprise me one bit.

We had 4 or so games last season that we won by very close margins, which could have easily gone the other way and we have a losing record at the end of 2016.

This year, those kind of close games are going the other way and we're losing them.

We were fool's gold last year.

Yeah the stats from 15 said we were unlucky, stats last year said we were lucky lol.

Just lose out, want that number 1 pick.

crazy season just about over 5 games in, wow.
end of the game did we really only have one WR? wow
you see why players hold out for contracts. ankle break is better than a tear i guess?
Gallman looks good. but why on earth do we go to him on 2nd drive when first drive dawkra ate up their D???? i'm lost

Giants won't give up on the season until after the broncos game. but soon they better try new line. flowers at RT and throw the 2 rookies at LT have them fight it out. because i don't trust this front office with using a high pick on oline in the next draft. might be a good idea to try pugh at LT as well.

sign cruz and king

Eli has at least given this team a lead in the 4th quarter the past three weeks, and the defense has not been able to hold it all 3 games which have turned to Ls'. Last year they would have been W's.

At this point the team is guaranteed a top pick in the draft and its only early October, but it could be a blessing in disguise with QBs of the future to choose from. Maybe Webb can get some reps late in the season to see what they have.

Reese has wasted the last 5-6 years of Eli's career with the crap he has out there. He kept the worst LT in football here and for that reason alone needs to be gone at the end of the season. This O-Line has gotten worse since 2012 and shows zero signs of improving anytime soon.

Broncos game will be a difficult one to watch, like really really difficult. Could get ugly.

this team is too good to get top 10 pick. D will improve like last year. O could turn things around if our run game improves.

playoffs!
win next 3 games, that can happen!
then our season on the line vs. the chiefs. a win would put us at 5-5, hot, rolling playing teams in our division and raiders/cards over final 6 games. if we make it to 5-5 wow.....

dont let go!!

good thing bye is coming up. another loss and the season would start to slip away.

tank for saquon!

wow another player suspended. What a joke this season has turned into. No respect for the head coach. is it his fault? I like McAdoo but maybe the giants made a big mistake. Don't forget mac and sprags both tried to get the job. They went with mac but did mac ever have the defense or do they align best with sprags??

i think mcadoo will go someone else and be a good coach. just wasnt fit here.

I have been big Reese supporter until this off season where he failed addressing oline. NO way should he have stayed with flowers at LT. But was it his call?
many people fail to realize that Reese is not the end all be all. He does not have absolute power i think. how can he? he has a Mara in the operations team(that mara ALMOST beat out reese for the GM job). I'm not talking about the owner i'm talking about the owners brother. His comments below seems like a guy who has the comfort of knowing this mess is not his. he doesnt name whitworth but does state his age. he makes it seem like it didnt make sense due to his age. why even say that unless he knows someone wanted a younger oline and he listened. To me its funny that he saids we wanted to build a younger line BUT the rams who have a young QB who were really shooting for a 8 win season thought differently. BOTTOM LINE clear house. No respect for the coach he lost the team and won't get it back.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017
Why Jerry Reese and Giants didn't bolster O-line in offseason
By Jordan Raanan

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- General manager Jerry Reese and the New York Giants' front office concocted a plan this offseason that included bringing back an offensive line that struggled last season. It was a head-scratching plan, at best.

The Giants cited continuity and familiarity for a young group they were hoping would grow into something more reliable. They went all-in on Ereck Flowers and Bobby Hart as their left and right tackles, respectively, despite no significant evidence either would be a substantial player at the NFL level. It was a flawed line of thinking.

"Well, the starting five we felt like had a lot of snaps together, and we felt like those guys, when you have some continuity in your offensive line, that's a help," Reese said of the offseason approach during his annual bye week news conference as his team sits 1-6 and in last place in the NFC East.

"We brought [D.J.] Fluker in," he said. "We drafted a young kid. ... And there weren't a lot of choices to go out there. We looked at a lot of different situations, but there just weren't a lot of offensive line help [options] out there from our perspective, and we had an opportunity to get somebody, but we looked at some different situations, and it didn't work out for us."

Fluker came cheaply. He was a one-year, prove-it flier. The draft pick was a sixth-rounder, Adam Bisnowaty, who sits on the practice squad.

The Giants didn't invest heavily in improving their offensive line. They doubled and tripled down on Flowers at left tackle, saying he was working out during the offseason -- as if that translated to improved technique or a sudden spike in instincts. The Giants re-signed John Jerry to play right guard. They signed Fluker to be a backup, barely giving him a shot to start during training camp.

Through it all, they bypassed the big free agents, most notably left tackle Andrew Whitworth, who signed with the Los Angeles Rams. Reese and the Giants never showed any significant interest in the 35-year-old. All he's done is stabilize the Rams' offensive line and enter the conversation as the single-best offseason acquisition across the NFL.

"Well, again, we want to be a younger football team, and everybody has an opinion about who was available and who wasn't," Reese said. "To us, it didn't make sense for us, and that's what we went with. We want to be a younger offensive line. Again, do you want to try to develop a 23-year-old guy, or do you want to bring in a 36-year-old guy? We chose to go with the young guy."

The number 36 was an interesting choice, considering Reese wasn't asked specifically about Whitworth, who will turn 36 this season. But Reese did re-sign the 31-year-old Jerry, and his top offseason acquisition was 33-year-old wide receiver Brandon Marshall.

The Giants clearly weren't fully intent on being a younger football team. It's a curious approach regardless, with a soon-to-be 37-year-old quarterback who lacks mobility and needs maximum protection to be successful.

"Yeah, well, again, we want to be a younger football team," Reese said. "We looked at all different situations with all the offensive linemen available. We stayed with what we have."

What you need to know in the NFL

Statistics
Scoreboard
2017 schedule, results
Standings

It was obvious in training camp the approach could be trouble. Flowers struggled badly. It became more evident as the season progressed. Hart injured his ankle and hasn't played well. He has subsequently been benched, and guard Justin Pugh has been forced to move out to tackle.

The Giants' offense has been handicapped by the offensive line. They are 27th in rushing, despite more success in recent weeks, and have to scheme to get the ball out of Manning's hands quickly because of the inevitable pressure.

But Reese remains all-in on Flowers and the line. He insisted Flowers was making progress and getting better. He emphatically stated Flowers takes too much blame and is not the reason for the Giants' 1-6 record. Reese said the blame should be on his shoulders, but then he denied overestimating what the Giants had with the offensive line entering this season, particularly at tackle.

"No. I think our offensive line -- we have some young players," he said. "They have improved. We've run the ball some, a little better than we have in the past. But you have to be consistent doing it. You have to commit to running the ball some. I think our offensive line is comparable. Do we want to upgrade our offensive line? Of course we do, but is our offensive line comparable to a lot of teams around the National Football League? Absolutely, it is."

No wonder they didn't feel the need to make any significant offseason upgrades on the offensive line. Being comparable to other bad lines seems to be enough.

why is this team trying to win!? ugh watch us end season with 5-6 wins :frown:
think eli and mac see this as lets win so i'm here next year haha

back to Eli....how is dak looking as a QB with LT that is playing worse than flowers and his star player not playing? not easy playing QB in this league without talent. same thing for watson sure right now looks like browns messed up but if this dude got drafted by that no talent team, failed it could have been just another bust QB for browns. Yes i'm on record as saying that Watson doesnt have 19 passing TDs on the browns. sorry

i'd like to use that pick on Barkley or LT or trade down draft all bama players so saben can be happy

about time they put wheeler in, he looked good.

interesting thing....richburg(who might be the reason we didnt sign LT wentworth) out for season due to concussion. 1. wow never heard of players being out for so long for a concussion before. 2. whos call is that? the player or team or docs? 3. don't think giants sign him now. thinking they keep cheaper brett jones and lock up pugh and give some kind of contract boost to OBJ.

Last edited:
The team was a few pieces here and there from actually contending and winning those early games to set the tone, when they weren't addressed the team/injuries just spiraled out of control.

Can't get mad at Eli for leading a game winning drive with a bunch of nobodies, but they really need to lose out

great read how bad reese has done. its pretty bad. teams need pro bowlers to win. i would bet the avg of 5 per super bowl winning team. and i'm guessing those giants teams 07 and 11 at most had 3.

edit: wait you can't post the skins team name red-skins on this board??? hahaha wow

This Giants mess is on general manager Jerry Reese
By Jordan Raanan

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The message sent by New York Giants co-owner John Mara about general manager Jerry Reese after the 2015 season was simple.

"Jerry knows this is on him. I've had that discussion with him," Mara said at the time.

The Giants had finished a 6-10 season, their fourth straight without making the playoffs. The pressure was placed directly on the shoulders of the general manager.

Two years later, what will Mara say to Reese after missing the postseason for the fifth time in six years? It could be "you're fired," and it would be warranted.

The Giants team Reese assembled this year wasn't good enough, and Tom Coughlin is no longer around to be scapegoated. That was the feeling among everyone close to Coughlin when the two-time Super Bowl-winning coach was fired and Reese remained.

Not much has changed. The Giants (2-8) head into a Thanksgiving night matchup with the Washington ******** in last place in the NFC East and Reese has a target on his back.

His future is among the most pressing subjects for Giants ownership to address after this season concludes. The future of coach Ben McAdoo will be the other major topic after a year filled with drama, losses, controversies and a roster that proved to be nowhere near good enough to compete for the Super Bowl some thought was possible.

Instead, it has become apparent the roster and the playoff berth that came last year during an 11-5 campaign were propped up by Reese's best draft pick, Odell Beckham Jr., who is out for the season with a broken ankle.

"Odell Beckham," ******** coach Jay Gruden said about the biggest difference in this year's Giants team. "He's the best receiver in the league."

He was Reese's first-round pick in 2014, which seems a world away. That's what happens when things come apart like they have for the Giants this season. The coach and general manager are under fire. Giants ownership issued a statement last week to explain they will "determine the reasons for our poor performance ... at the end of the year" when rumors about their coach reached volumes that could not be ignored.

It's a results-oriented business, and the Giants are among the NFL's worst teams entering Thursday's game against the ********. Nothing they can do can save the season, only potentially salvage their jobs.

Reese has to shoulder a good portion of the blame, which he admitted last month. He badly misjudged the state of the offensive line, whiffed on his most expensive free-agent acquisition (wide receiver Brandon Marshall never made an impact before being lost for the season) and some of his most precious draft picks -- inside the top 10 -- have, to date, flopped.

That begins with the underwhelming play of 2015 and '16 first-round selections Ereck Flowers and Eli Apple, both top-10 picks. They are the headlining mistakes over the past six years and have contributed to the Giants' depressed state.

DRAFT EFFECTIVENESS

Pro Bowl players drafted since 2007 (courtesy of ESPN Stats and Information)

Franchise Total
Cowboys 13
Chiefs 13
Vikings 11
Seahawks 11
Panthers 10
Packers 10
Ravens 9
Steelers 9
Patriots 8
Dolphins 8
Bears 8
Texans 8
Titans 7
Bills 7
Saints 7
Cardinals 7
Buccaneers 7
Bengals 7
Falcons 7
49ers 7
Lions 6
Chargers 6
Giants 6
Raiders 5
Broncos 5
Browns 5
Eagles 5
Rams 4
Jets 4
Colts 3
Jaguars 2
"This roster -- it's my roster. I'm responsible for everybody on the roster and I'll take ownership to where we are right now with this 1-6 start," Reese said during the Giants' bye week, before stating he thought there were good players and shifting blame elsewhere.

There is more than enough finger-pointing to go around, as McAdoo and the players haven't exactly held up their end of the bargain.

But the question the Giants will have to ask themselves at the end of the season is one shared recently by an AFC scout.

“How does [Reese] get the right to pick a top 3 draft choice?”

The draft record

It all started so with promise for Reese. His first draft class as general manager in 2007 was perhaps his best. All seven players made an impact, with second-round selection Steve Smith and fourth-round pick Zak DeOssie turning into Pro Bowl players.

The Giants also won the Super Bowl that season. Reese became the first black general manager to lift the Lombardi trophy. He did it again in the 2011 season. His current résumé: 11 seasons, two Super Bowls, seven missed playoffs.

After that second Super Bowl, the Giants' problems began. Reese drafted just three players who developed into full-time starters in 2012-13, and only one (Justin Pugh) remains on the roster. Only two players he has drafted in 11 seasons (Jason Pierre-Paul and Will Beatty) ever received a long-term extension. That's two out of 78 players to date.

When some of the older players from the Super Bowl years left there wasn't a next generation of young talent to succeed them. Reese has drafted six Pro Bowl players in his 11 years as general manager. That ranks 21st out of 32 teams. One of those six players -- Linval Joseph -- became a Pro Bowler after he left the Giants and the other was DeOssie, a long-snapper.

The others were Beckham, safety Landon Collins, Pierre-Paul and Smith.

A bigger problem might be Reese's lack of mid-to-late-round hits. The Giants have found three players in Rounds 3 through 7 from 2008 to '17 who have become full-time starters for more than a full season. They are linebackers Devon Kennard and Jacquian Williams and wide receiver Mario Manningham.

All this left the Giants' cupboard relatively bare after Reese's second Super Bowl and forced them to restock (especially defensively) by spending last year in the offseason.

Building a defense with players unfamiliar with the Giants way has backfired this season. They allowed 82 points in a two-game stretch to the Los Angeles Rams and San Francisco 49ers and had a pair of veteran cornerbacks suspended for violations of team rules. It has been an unpredictable debacle.
Who stays, who goes

Mistakes were made this offseason and this season. They were made in droves over the past six years.

McAdoo can't be held responsible for missing the playoffs five of the past six years, though he can be charged with being unable to keep everything under control inside the Quest Diagnostics Training Center this season. Neither can his mentor Coughlin, who was exiled after failing to qualify for the postseason in his final four seasons.

Next in line? Reese. He's the most prominent fireable figurehead remaining and has been responsible for assembling rosters lacking in competent offensive linemen and sufficient weapons to salvage the tail end of quarterback Eli Manning's career. The Giants have been near the bottom of the league in points scored three of the past six years -- even with a Super Bowl-winning quarterback.

The final six games will go a long way in determining everybody's fate. How Flowers and Apple play might be telling for Reese's future. He might need one or both of them to flourish in order to be charged with the task of selecting so high in next year's draft, because the success of those two players falls on the résumé of the general manager.

"Yeah, well, you're always on notice," Reese said last month. "I've been doing this over 10 years now and every single time -- I’ve been left for dead a lot of times since I've been doing this job and that's just part of the business."

This time it could -- and maybe should -- be for good.

So McAdoo told Eli that he wants to give other guys reps to finish the games out, what purpose does that solve with the offense the way it is currently constructed.

Eli decided not to play at all, and I don't blame him. Streak is over.

Webb isn't even close to ready, nor does it make sense you can't make a valid assessment with the players you have out there on offense.

McAdoo has done nothing but take shots at Eli while not saying anything about the secondary or OBJ doing whatever he wants. McAdoo is a nobody and it's even more embarrassing ownership let it happen. Scapegoating at its finest for no reason, when he is your best offensive player.

Might get rid of my season tickets. I never thought the Giants would ever be more dysfunctional and have less class than the Knicks, but here were are.

Back
Top Bottom