New York Post Editorial Cartoon Vol. Controversy

As someone who generally thinks our society is overly sensitive to racism (and that that has become part of the problem with eradicating it) i came into thisthread prepared to defend the image. To be honest, 3/4 of the 'racist' threads on this site are off-base to me.

However, there is no way that the cartoonist, editor, and everyone else in the production process could have missed the implications of a new black presidentand a politicians-are-apes comparison. Inexcusible.

Idk about dismissing all the editors, but the cartoonist should definitely be fired.

Mehhh i actually didn't view it as that offensive when i first saw the cover... but i knew where it would lead to and why some might be offended by it.There's no way the cartoonist couldn't think this would be interpreted as racist.... so in that aspect it was foolish of him to publish it.

Rupert Murdoch owned companies have a funny way of always implicating racial images when it comes to Obama though. Fox News calling his wife Michele his"baby mama" "terrorist fist jab" and etc

for those that dont know...

the history of white people has always believed that black people were just smart monkeys since theres no way we came from them with matted hair, lowforeheads, burnt copper skin tones and flat noses...

if it was about gays/transgenders, asians, jews or any other organized group of people all hell wouldve broke out already....

The Post should be banned by all those that come from any race or sexual orientation that has been type-casted, or sterotyped EVER..

people have to stand together as human to evole into the future

i actually don't find it offensive at all... i think the cartoonist was probably trying to (albeit horribly) tie in the recent story about Travis themonkey that was shot to death for mauling a woman in Georgia. plus, let's face it folks... the new bill is hardly just the largest spending bill in unitedstates history during a pivotal time of one of the worst economic situations many of you have ever seen... it substantially enlarges government and resultantlyrestricts our already limited post-911 freedoms.

I don't think that the cartoon was intended to be racist, but anyone who doesn't understand why people could construe it as racist is an idiot.

I was listening to a discussion about this very cartoon on NPR last night (yes, I listen to NPR), and a guest brought up an interesting point:

When the NY Post was considering running this cartoon, did someone mention the potentially offensive undertones yet they decided to print it anyway...

Or did nobody recognize anything wrong with the cartoon at all?

The latter is fairly scary, especially considering how easily the Post dismissed criticism of the cartoon.

Relating any type of primate to any thing related to black people is racist plain and simple. While the cartoonist drew the cartoon w/ a certain amount ofwiggle room as to what he can claim he meant, he had to know how it could be taken.

Bottomline...he should be fired

smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom