Next installment of Super Smash Bros. has started

Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. series has grown astronomically since it first debuted over a decade ago. Now considered one of the publisher's flagship franchises, the manic fighting series has more than quadrupled its playable roster, introduced characters from third party companies, featured a stage editor and even a robust, story-driven single-player campaign. Its latest installment, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is figuratively bursting at the seams with content. What, then, could franchise creator Masahiro Sakurai possibly do with the Wii U and 3DS versions?

I'm really just getting started on this so it's going to take time.
"As you noted, there is a certain dead end we come to if we just expand the volume of the game," Sakurai told me in a recent e-mail interview, clearly recognizing that simply adding more characters, items and stages wouldn't be enough. The Smash Bros. franchise, though repeatedly earning high praise from critics over its three entries, has effectively followed the same formula since its inception, evolving its style of play without shaking things up too much. So if merely expanding the idea isn't the only thing on Sakurai's mind... what is?

"I intend to change direction a little as we go," Sakurai said, indicating his desire to possbily find a new mechanic or idea to drive two new entries in the series. "The key to that's going to be its dual support for 3DS/Wii U."

Sakurai, as well as Nintendo global president Satoru Iwata, had previously acknowledged his interest in linking the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game, which were announced simultaneously at E3 2011. "I'm really just getting started on this so it's going to take time, but I'll come up with something that uses that link as the game's central axis, so I hope you're looking forward to it."

super-smash-bros-next-20120425062322372-000.jpg

Work on a sequel has finally started...

Sakurai's remarks came in the midst of a larger conversation about Kid Icarus Uprising, which was recently released for the Nintendo 3DS. The developer, who is also the Director of the Board for Project Sora, a subsidiary developer of Nintendo, mentioned he is now concentrating his efforts on the next two installments of Smash Bros. With development just getting started, it seems as though fans of the series will still have to wait some time before watching Mario and Link battle it out.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

brawl sucked compared to melee

hopefully they go back to melee type gameplay

Originally Posted by TNW

i aint gonna say brawl sucked but it did have its moments and did a few things right. I just hated how "floaty" the characters were

I put in sooooo many hours on ssbb.
Then I copped a ps3 and the Wii is collecting dust.

My Body Is Becoming Ready
I hope they stop with that story mode crap and focus on multiplayer and we desperately need some decent online play, brawl was horrendous online. I would like a 50 character roster with no clones but thats just dreaming.

Luigi>>>>>>>>>

Originally Posted by nawghtyhare

Originally Posted by TNW

i aint gonna say brawl sucked but it did have its moments and did a few things right. I just hated how "floaty" the characters were
This.

Originally Posted by Antidope

My Body Is Becoming Ready
I hope they stop with that story mode crap and focus on multiplayer and we desperately need some decent online play, brawl was horrendous online. I would like a 50 character roster with no clones but thats just dreaming.

Luigi Captain falcon>>>>>>>>>
fixed
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Mr DragonFly Jones

Hyped for this, but who else are they even going to add?

Honestly if they just added the people who they took out from the melee roster to brawl's and revamped online they really wouldnt need to add anybody

Am I the only one who likes both styles of play for Brawl and Melee? Sure they were different, but each had their own mechanics and techniques to provide for very competitive play.

Oh and Fox >>>

Originally Posted by theDEEK

Praying for Megaman.

It would have to be the one from the Battle Network games..or else he'd prob just be another Samus clone. 

Back
Top Bottom