NFL considering two possessions in OT

I like the first to 6 idea personally.  Not like college where we'd be going back and forth the whole game but it forces teams to for the TD instead of drive 40 yards and kick a game winning FG.

They should keep it the same but make it a 10 min OT period. 1st to score doesn't win. Just whoever is winning at the end of the 10min OT period wins the game. Same as if it were the 4th quarter. Like a basketball OT.

the only bad thing i see with the first 6 idea is that there will be a lot of Ties in the win/loss column..
i mean some games teams can go a whole quarter without scoring a touchdown.
what do you then?

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

I hate 'First to...' anything.

Give both teams a chance to have the ball somehow. Put a set time up there (like 10 minutes) or make it a match game like college (I get a field goal, you get the opportunity to either get a field goal or win the game with a TD); somehow, both teams deserve a chance with the ball.

'You have 4 quarters to win the game.' True, but because of a coin flip, one team gets 4 quarters plus another coupe minutes to try and score to win the game while the other team never even had a chance to score?

'You pay your defense millions to stop the other team's offense.' True, but BOTH teams pay their defenses millions of dollars to stop the ball, but only one team has to use their defense in overtime, because the other team won a coin flip? So the team who won the coin flip is paying their defense millions also, but doesn't have to worry about using them? Because they accurately called a coin toss?

It is broke.

Fix it.
I'm a traditional football guy. If my Bengals can't stop the Colts in OT then so be it. We had an unbiased coin flip and if we lose the flip, our Defense should be able to lock down for at least 1 drive to give Carson and company a shot to win.

What happens if teams end up going back and forth? Then people will be asking for more time and more OT quarters. Football is a game of chess. You put the right pieces in place that give you the best odds to win. If a team, the Bengals for example can't win the game in regulation and fall victim to an OT collapse. It is what it is. This is PRO Football guys. Not the 11-12 year old league. These are pro's. I want to see the best in the world work under pressure.

How many teams have won in OT on the first possession?
How many teams have had the lead or was in prime position to take the lead to win the game in the 4th quarter but failed and then lost in OT?

I hope UK loses in the finals.
grin.gif

Ehhh first to 6 sounds good but then if you really think about it... say your team drives 80yards gets to the 1 then gets stopped 4 times on the 1... the other team would have to drive 99 yards in order to get 6... there are a lot of different factors and doing this might result in the game taking wayyyyyy to long

RKO2004:
I'm a traditional football guy.
I was waiting for this word to come up. "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer."
wink.gif
When you've trapped yourself into the mindset 'We have to do it this way because it's always been done this way; it's tradition!', you've missed the point of why records have been kept all throughout history, going back to cavemen writing on walls. Use the past, use tradition as a guide to how to move forward, not as a strict blueprint for the way things must always be.
RKO2004:
If my Bengals can't stop the Colts in OT then so be it. We had an unbiased coin flip and if we lose the flip, our Defense should be able to lock down for at least 1 drive to give Carson and company a shot to win.
Yes, your defense should  be able to lock down Peyton and Co... and the Colts should be able to lock down Carson and Co right after that. It's only fair. Your defense shouldn't have to FIGHT to get the ball to Carson while Peyton got the ball because a Colt luckily called a coin flip. Your team had to fight their tail of to get the ball; the Colts simply had to say either 'Heads!' or 'Tails!'
RKO2004:
What happens if teams end up going back and forth?
All kinds of options. For example, you could throw 5 minutes on the clock, and after the 1st overtime period, no more FGs are allowed. It's endzone or lose after the first OT period. There are all kinds of options, so before you dismantle this one, realize it's just one of many.
RKO2004:
This is PRO Football guys. Not the 11-12 year old league. These are pro's. I want to see the best in the world work under pressure.
Me, too; I want to see BOTH teams perform under immense pressure, not just one. No one team deserves to play under the pressure that if they don't play defense, they lose, while the other team's professional NFL defenders were sippin' umbrella drinks, cheering their offense on. They're professionals, too; get 'em out there.
RKO2004:
How many teams have won in OT on the first possession?
If the answer is more than 0, then that's too many.
RKO2004:
How many teams have had the lead or was in prime position to take the lead to win the game in the 4th quarter but failed and then lost in OT?
This is really an irrelevant question, because what happened in the first 4 quarters is irrelevant when you're talking OT. The score was tied at the end of regulation, for whatever reason. If the score is tied with Vince Young on his way to end the game on a QB scramble into the end zone and the monkey from Family Guy attacked him, oh well; tie game.
laugh.gif

RKO2004:
I hope UK loses in the finals.
grin.gif

I just hope it doesn't come down to free throws. I've mentioned this to wildKYcat since we VERY FIRST picked Calipari up.
ohwell.gif
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

laugh.gif
@ people saying it's fine as it is. Dumbest rule in history of sports. Imagine one day two great offensive teams, but bad or mediocre defensive teams meet in the Super Bowl and they go to OT. The whole season would be decided on a coin flip.
Stats prove otherwise though, its pretty even in terms of who wins the coin flip.

If it were some drastic 70% of the teams win on the 1st possession then yeah fix it.

Even last season only 30+% of the teams that won the coin flip won the game.

If it aiint broke don't fix it. It's the NFL, play some defense.

Originally Posted by badboyf0life420

the only bad thing i see with the first 6 idea is that there will be a lot of Ties in the win/loss column..
what do you then?
This would not be anymore ties than there are right now which is maybe like one every 2-3 years.
Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

They should keep it the same but make it a 10 min OT period. 1st to score doesn't win. Just whoever is winning at the end of the 10min OT period wins the game. Same as if it were the 4th quarter. Like a basketball OT.
This is FOOTBALL.  These dude's have already been hitting each other for 60 minutes another full 10 is unnecessary and potentially dangerous.

Mez 0ne:
It's the NFL, play some defense.
Agreed! Both teams, play some defense!

Oh, wait... you were just the one team should play defense or suffer losing the game.

Well that's awesome for the defense that gets to just chill on the sidelines!
smokin.gif
You yell at them 'This is the NFL! Play some defense!", and they yell back 'We don't have to, 'cause we know how to call a tiny round piece of metal!' while sticking out their tongue.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

what do you then?
This would not be anymore ties than there are right now which is maybe like one every 2-3 years.

This is FOOTBALL.  These dude's have already been hitting each other for 60 minutes another full 10 is unnecessary and potentially dangerous.
10 extra min in a 60 min game is nothing. Seriously. Unless a team scores the very 1st drive OT is going at least 10 min anyway.

I was waiting for this word to come up. "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer."
wink.gif
When you've trapped yourself into the mindset 'We have to do it this way because it's always been done this way; it's tradition!', you've missed the point of why records have been kept all throughout history, going back to cavemen writing on walls. Use the past, use tradition as a guide to how to move forward, not as a strict blueprint for the way things must always be.
OK that makes sense.
Yes, your defense should  be able to lock down Peyton and Co... and the Colts should be able to lock down Carson and Co right after that. It's only fair. Your defense shouldn't have to FIGHT to get the ball to Carson while Peyton got the ball because a Colt luckily called a coin flip. Your team had to fight their tail of to get the ball; the Colts simply had to say either 'Heads!' or 'Tails!'
I'd take that. We should have to fight for the ball. That's the defenses duty. The Bengals would have the same chance during the coin flip though. Its 50/50.
This is really an irrelevant question, because what happened in the first 4 quarters is irrelevant when you're talking OT. The score was tied at the end of regulation, for whatever reason. If the score is tied with Vince Young on his way to end the game on a QB scramble into the end zone and the monkey from Family Guy attacked him, oh well; tie game.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I just hope it doesn't come down to free throws. I've mentioned this to wildKYcat since we VERY FIRST picked Calipari up.
ohwell.gif
embarassed.gif

Do his teams even practice free throws?
laugh.gif
I never understood it. You play a sport your entire life, free throws should be a breeze.

Oh and Cal better pray the NCAA don't find out his secrete with getting players. I have my suspicions of dude. How do you manage to get Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans and John Wall three years in a row followed by NCAA investigations?
eek.gif
laugh.gif

That man is the devil
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

what do you then?

10 extra min in a 60 min game is nothing. Seriously. Unless a team scores the very 1st drive OT is going at least 10 min anyway.
The league/owners will never allow that happen, games are long enough as it is.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

laugh.gif
@ people saying it's fine as it is. Dumbest rule in history of sports. Imagine one day two great offensive teams, but bad or mediocre defensive teams meet in the Super Bowl and they go to OT. The whole season would be decided on a coin flip.
Stats prove otherwise though, its pretty even in terms of who wins the coin flip.

If it were some drastic 70% of the teams win on the 1st possession then yeah fix it.

Even last season only 30+% of the teams that won the coin flip won the game.

If it aiint broke don't fix it. It's the NFL, play some defense.
One season's worth of data is not useful. From an article I read analyzing an 8 year period from 2000-2008, the team that won the coin flip won 60% of the time. And I don't even care if they didn't score on the first possession. That team will also be getting the 3rd possession. And who knows if that 2nd possession is starting at the 5 yard line? It's broke and it's baffling to me how people can't see it.

I'll put it this way: if it were currently a 25 yard dogfight(like college football) would anyone be suggesting it go to the current system?

No NFL game should come down to a coin toss deciding who may very well get the ONLY chance with the football after regulation.

No NFL game should come down to a coin toss deciding who may very well get the ONLY chance with the football after regulation.

It was never a problem before a few years ago so I dont know why people have an issue now.

A team has the entire game to score more points.  Its not like theyre being given a short stick. 

Originally Posted by Banks2Pierce

Originally Posted by RKO2004

If it aint broke, don't fix it
grin.gif

From the 2000 through 2007 regular seasons, there
have been 124 overtime games. In every single game except one (I
believe), the team that won the toss elected to receive. And those
receiving teams won 60% of the time (and tied once). That's a relatively
large advantage, particularly when compared to home field advantage.
It is broken. Some people are just too stuck in their ways and in love with dumb old traditions to realize it.

The Lions elected to kick off
roll.gif

Durden7:
A team has the entire game to score more points.  Its not like theyre being given a short stick.
One team has the entire game; another team has the entire game plus another possession.

catch 22 in effect IMO , kills the suspense but it should remain as SUDDEN DEATH overtime , whoever wants the W should go all out , leave the 2 sided possesion for COLLEGE

Durden7:
One team has the entire game; another team has the entire game plus another possession.
Its not like only one team is on the field.

^ Half of one team is.

Give both halves of both teams the opportunity to fail/or succeed, not just one half of each team.

Since NFL teams have offensive teams and defensive teams, having one team's offense and one teams defense take the field based on a coin flip would be like the Lakers winning the coin flip and electing to send Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol, and the opponent can only send the defensive guys with limited offensive skillsets, like Chris Andersen and Nene Hilario. If Kobe or Pau scores, Lakers win.

^ Half of one team is.

Give both halves of both teams the opportunity to fail/or succeed, not just one half of each team.

Since NFL teams have offensive teams and defensive teams, having one team's offense and one teams defense take the field based on a coin flip would be like the Lakers winning the coin flip and electing to send Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol, and the opponent can only send the defensive guys with limited offensive skillsets, like Chris Andersen and Nene Hilario. If Kobe or Pau scores, Lakers win.

Thats a bad analogy.

There was never a problem with OT rules until last year.

I really wonder if we would even be having this discussion if the shoe were on the other foot last year.  I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom