Originally Posted by Banks2Pierce

Originally Posted by RKO2004

If it aint broke, don't fix it
grin.gif

From the 2000 through 2007 regular seasons, there
have been 124 overtime games. In every single game except one (I
believe), the team that won the toss elected to receive. And those
receiving teams won 60% of the time (and tied once). That's a relatively
large advantage, particularly when compared to home field advantage.
It is broken. Some people are just too stuck in their ways and in love with dumb old traditions to realize it.

The Lions elected to kick off
roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
I forgot who that one team was. Figures...

Durden7:
23ska909red02:
^ Half of one team is.

Give both halves of both teams the opportunity to fail/or succeed, not just one half of each team.

Since NFL teams have offensive teams and defensive teams, having one team's offense and one teams defense take the field based on a coin flip would be like the Lakers winning the coin flip and electing to send Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol, and the opponent can only send the defensive guys with limited offensive skillsets, like Chris Andersen and Nene Hilario. If Kobe or Pau scores, Lakers win.
Thats a bad analogy.
= 'I got nothing.'

Of course there's no exact parallel. That's why the different sports are different. Is there an exact comparison in sports to the 1st inning of a baseball game? No, but saying that the two team's first cracks at each other is like the first inning of an MLB game is fine. Exact? No. Close enough to be used as a parallel in a debate? Yes.

Football has defensive teams and offense teams. Fact. The team that wins the coin flip sends their offense team nearly every time. Fact. ONLY the other team's defensive squad will take the field in that case.

Bottom line: one team is guaranteed to field the unit responsible for scoring points while the other team hopes to have that chance.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Durden7:
23ska909red02:
^ Half of one team is.

Give both halves of both teams the opportunity to fail/or succeed, not just one half of each team.

Since NFL teams have offensive teams and defensive teams, having one team's offense and one teams defense take the field based on a coin flip would be like the Lakers winning the coin flip and electing to send Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol, and the opponent can only send the defensive guys with limited offensive skillsets, like Chris Andersen and Nene Hilario. If Kobe or Pau scores, Lakers win.
Thats a bad analogy.
= 'I got nothing.'

Of course there's no exact parallel. That's why the different sports are different. Is there an exact comparison in sports to the 1st inning of a baseball game? No, but saying that the two team's first cracks at each other is like the first inning of an MLB game is fine. Exact? No. Close enough to be used as a parallel in a debate? Yes.

Football has defensive teams and offense teams. Fact. The team that wins the coin flip sends their offense team nearly every time. Fact. ONLY the other team's defensive squad will take the field in that case.

Bottom line: one team is guaranteed to field the unit responsible for scoring points while the other team hopes to have that chance.

But thats how the game is designed.

If you want to have a great chance at winning the game, score more points in regulation and dont let it get to overtime.  Its really that simple.

Do I like the fact that its a coin flip that determines who gets the ball?  No, but theres no better way to determine it.  The first to score 6 is a decent idea, but there really isnt a problem with how things are handled now.

(Also, the basketball analogy doesnt work because the players arent specialized.  They have to play both sides.  Football is all specialized positions.  It really makes it a bad analogy.  There isnt a good analogy for this)

I don't mind the way it is now, but I wouldn't mind an alternative. No matter, I'm sure the NFL will come up with something that works and is enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom