NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little off base but related, why is there like 5673 basketball threads?

Like...
- Name your starting five if the game was going to be played on a Tuesday.
- Starting a new franchise, who is your starting five if everyone could only dribble with their left hand?
- Lets discuss Player X's facebook page
- Who was the best all time rebounder in the third quarter of afternoon games?

And the list goes on and on...all the other sports keep the topics all in a couple threads. Thats partially why. For football we have the season thread and QB discussion thread.

And it goes without saying that TB12 is the GOAT and will not be disrespected like that....

roll.gif
Because basketball is the most popular sport on NT? It's a forum created because of basketball shoes, despite what individual members preferences may be. Not to mention your exaggerations.

To be that fan bro. The Niners defense was giving up alot of points late in the season. Great defense? Nah. A pretty good defense? Yes.

That gameplan against Rodgers was great though. But that Pats game comes to my mind, granted ya got that W.

Pats second half and Seahawks game was messy. No Justin Smith translated to 60+ points in 6 quarters. With that, we were still 2nd in the league in points allowed. Im just wondering if there were any "Great" defenses in the league, since ours clearly wasnt. No ones answered my question yet.

I honestly don't think there is a great defense in the NFL simply for the way how the league is so pass heavy/offense loaded. Idk, just my opinion on it. I would like to hear
more discuss this also.

Last GREAT defense the NFL has seen was the 01 Ravens.

Nah...Basketball threads draw more of the casual watchers of the sport on board. The guys we see in this thread are here every Sunday and there are rarely new posters. It's more controlled and discussion oriented.

Everyone feels like they have an opinion about something basketball related so there's some random *** posters, which also leads to those same posters coming up with a thread that they think is topic worthy, but fail to realize and come here consistently enough to know...It's an every day thing...Those "discussions."

A little off base but related, why is there like 5673 basketball threads?

Like...

- Name your starting five if the game was going to be played on a Tuesday.

- Starting a new franchise, who is your starting five if everyone could only dribble with their left hand?

- Lets discuss Player X's facebook page

- Who was the best all time rebounder in the third quarter of afternoon games?

And the list goes on and on...all the other sports keep the topics all in a couple threads. Thats partially why. For football we have the season thread and QB discussion thread.

And it goes without saying that TB12 is the GOAT and will not be disrespected like that....

:rofl:

Because basketball is the most popular sport on NT? It's a forum created because of basketball shoes, despite what individual members preferences may be. Not to mention your exaggerations.

Case in point is this guy...Has an opinion once he probably saw basketball in the thread preview or maybe lurks and saw basketball. Felt like inputting .02, but we never see him in here discussing football before.

I don't mean to pick on you, but I do. And regardless of Nike = shoes = this board = basketball lovers doesn't make the worthless threads and repetitive "discussions" any more tolerable.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think there is a great defense in the NFL simply for the way how the league is so pass heavy/offense loaded. Idk, just my opinion on it. I would like to hear
more discuss this also.

Last GREAT defense the NFL has seen was the 01 Ravens.

If the outlook is that there are no "great" defenses in the league, then I can see where yall are comin from.

But if thats your opinion now, there will never again be a "Great" defense because of the way the league has changed into a pass heavy league where the rules favor offenses. Some of the "Great" defenses from previous years wouldnt be as great now in todays league either.

Last edited:
They're cheap and it expresses to the organization that they've turned the page on the Sanchez era. They're not trying to solve a problem by bringing in veteran quarterbacks. Again...It's a bridge. It's done by a lot of successful teams. No point in going after a big name Q or drafting a successor in this years draft when they don't even really have the long-term answers to their RB or WR's. Defense is about to lose its best player so there's too much going on for them to worry about a QB. Garrard is the perfect guy for this situation because he understands his role and he's been successful before. The Jets will have a guy they don't have to worry about while they build a team. Sanchez doesn't have the leadership skills in order for it to work with him and even more...It's stressed in many businesses that changes are being made. That's where Quinn comes in if they don't go Garrard.

all very valid points.

but the way i see it, the jets have holes and terrible cap.

just tank all the way, dont give false hope :lol:

Case in point is this guy...Has an opinion once he probably saw basketball in the thread preview or maybe lurks and saw basketball. Felt like inputting .02, but we never see him in here discussing football before.

I don't mean to pick on you, but I do. And regardless of Nike = shoes = this board = basketball lovers doesn't make the worthless threads and repetitive "discussions" any more tolerable.
I'm a very selective poster (more accurately I only post when drinking alone and watching sports), but that doesn't make what I said any less true. 

And calling out posters because you haven't seen them post before is not a good strategy for encouraging participation.

Last edited:
Pretty much Paul. Obviously I get it's a Nike board, but some of those topics are hilarious and beyond redundant.

I understand things go in cycles, but i wonder if we see a time where the NFL goes back to what it once was.....

not so much air it out offenses and stout defenses.

Agreed. Which is why the view on what a Great defense is should also be different.

question.

are you talking about defenses in general or you looking for some type of clarification as to why this years 9ers defense wasnt or was great?

I understand things go in cycles, but i wonder if we see a time where the NFL goes back to what it once was.....

not so much air it out offenses and stout defenses.

This will happen the day the $$$$ is no longer the NFL's main priority.

question.

are you talking about defenses in general or you looking for some type of clarification as to why this years 9ers defense wasnt or was great?

Just wanted to know what everyone on here viewed as a Great defense. From what im hearing, there are no Great defenses left.

Whether the 49ers defense was Great is subjective.

Who knows...15-20 years from now we're gonna have DE's running 4.3's and built like Linebackers. Just the way **** has been happening to athletes.

I say that to say, there will be a time where defenses will adapt to these spread/juggernaught offenses.

Also, if the league goes through a major drought of subpar QB's, who knows.

Last edited:
Just wanted to know what everyone on here viewed as a Great defense. From what im hearing, there are no Great defenses left.

Whether the 49ers defense was Great is subjective.

fair enough.

like stated throughout the season, they were no great teams this year. just some very good ones.

that 9ers defense cooled off once Smith got hurt, TB12 was a defensive stop away from one of the greatest comebacks ever, and Seattle embarrassed them.

after Smith got hurt it wasnt a dominate nor great defense, it was a bend but dont break.

the secondary was the weakest part of that defense, and it got shown. First by the Falcons with Ryan who cooked them for 400 yards and then by Flacco and comp.

Right now the trend is to match the size of WR's with size at CB. Seattle were the first movers, but I've heard that a few teams in Pro's and college want to go that route. Only problem is that the rules are still heavily influenced to assist the offense and receivers.

Right now the trend is to match the size of WR's with size at CB. Seattle were the first movers, but I've heard that a few teams in Pro's and college want to go that route. Only problem is that the rules are still heavily influenced to assist the offense and receivers.

interesting point you bring up.

watching the combine they had some huge DBs.

the interesting is from my understanding is that most of these bigger DBs were WRs who switched over.

much like Sherman who was a WR.

fair enough.

like stated throughout the season, they were no great teams this year. just some very good ones.

that 9ers defense cooled off once Smith got hurt, TB12 was a defensive stop away from one of the greatest comebacks ever, and Seattle embarrassed them.

after Smith got hurt it wasnt a dominate nor great defense, it was a bend but dont break.

the secondary was the weakest part of that defense, and it got shown. First by the Falcons with Ryan who cooked them for 400 yards and then by Flacco and comp.

Our secondary is the weakest part of the defense no doubt, but even the best secondaries wouldve gotten cooked with the lack of pressure we were getting at QBs.

And I agree, once Justin went down, the defense was never the same.

But you take take away the best player from any of the Great defenses, none of them would be as dominant.

To be that fan bro. The Niners defense was giving up alot of points late in the season. Great defense? Nah. A pretty good defense? Yes.

That gameplan against Rodgers was great though. But that Pats game comes to my mind, granted ya got that W.

Pats second half and Seahawks game was messy. No Justin Smith translated to 60+ points in 6 quarters. With that, we were still 2nd in the league in points allowed. Im just wondering if there were any "Great" defenses in the league, since ours clearly wasnt. No ones answered my question yet.

How great can your defense be if one guy getting hurt turns the defense mediocre?

You said Houston got exposed but Cushing and j Joseph were hurt most of the season, an argument can be made that their injuries just happened earlier in the season.

Texan fans can easily make the excuse you are trying to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom