NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

:lol: My thoughts exactly. What's going on in here, dudes?

I don't think anything about the Niners D was exposed in the playoffs or Super Bowl. It was clearly known that the D was stacked, but if it lacked in one area, it was the secondary. And I agree with Dland in the fact that a if a defense doesn't have a pass rush, then the chances of them being successful are slim. Even more, if the pass rush is really good...As good as SF's was early on, then it can hide some deficiencies in the secondary making them look better then they may really be.

I'm pretty sure most noticed on here that when Justin Smith got hurt, it really killed Aldon and that whole D-Line. That carried into the postseason and Justin never was 100% and that definitely hurt the Niners. Did it cost them the SB? No way of knowing, but I'm sure it did...Injuries do happen and you gotta do your best to deal, but that's not what you would call being exposed. It was evident from the start that the secondary could be beat if the pass rush could be stopped. We need to have a dictionary thread so that folks don't get desensitized by a terms meanings due to overuse.

Last edited:
For the record, never thought the SF secondary was exposed in the SB. You replay the biggest catches made that game...the coverage was there. Culliver was on Boldin. But Boldin just went up and made the better play. Sometimes...the receiver wins that one-on-one battle.

Just for clarification.

Exposed = not very good.

The secondary was not very good and when it mattered look what happened.

:lol: That's not the definition of exposed so you proved my point my man.

Exposed - Make (something) visible, typically by uncovering it.

Nothing new was uncovered. Again..we already knew their secondary was the weakest link, if you will.

Last edited:
I don't think anything about the Niners D was exposed in the playoffs or Super Bowl. It was clearly known that the D was stacked, but if it lacked in one area, it was the secondary. And I agree with Dland in the fact that a if a defense doesn't have a pass rush, then the chances of them being successful are slim. Even more, if the pass rush is really good...As good as SF's was early on, then it can hide some deficiencies in the secondary making them look better then they may really be.

I'm pretty sure most noticed on here that when Justin Smith got hurt, it really killed Aldon and that whole D-Line. That carried into the postseason and Justin never was 100% and that definitely hurt the Niners. Did it cost them the SB? No way of knowing, but I'm sure it did...Injuries do happen and you gotta do your best to deal, but that's not what you would call being exposed. It was evident from the start that the secondary could be beat if the pass rush could be stopped. We need to have a dictionary thread so that folks don't get desensitized by a terms meanings due to overuse.

Well said.

For the record, never thought the SF secondary was exposed in the SB. You replay the biggest catches made that game...the coverage was there. Culliver was on Boldin. But Boldin just went up and made the better play. Sometimes...the receiver wins that one-on-one battle.

Thank you.

By the way... I never got into the Alex Smith to KC discussion, but I got KC as a team competing for the playoffs next year. Fresh starts like the one Andy is getting with the Chiefs can do wonders on a coach who may have lost focus his last few years in Philly. He's a great coach and I trust he knows exactly what he's doing.

There's talent on that offense in KC and while Alex will have to throw more than 20 times in a game now, I think his veteran savvy will go a long way and this change of scenery will help him out as well. So many cases in the past when a "mediocre" QB switches teams, or two, and ends up coming on very late in his career and ends up a very respectable QB (Rich Gannon is the first that comes to mind). It just could happen with Alex.

Smith will be playing with a huge chip on his shoulder as well. Alot of good can come from that, especially if you were playing good to begin with.

He wasn't ineffective without Justin, was he the same no but he still got pressure

19.5 sacks in 13.5 games before Justin Smith's injury

0 sacks in 5.5 games after Justin Smith's injury

I said getting pressure I didn't say sacks

Dont have access to the stats, but remember hearing his QB hurries and QB hits were down significantly too. And like jecca said, he was playing hurt too.

This 49ers front office has done the best job of assembling a football team I've seen in quite a while. All the cards are in place for a dynasty type situation. Respect.

This 49ers front office has done the best job of assembling a football team I've seen in quite a while. All the cards are in place for a dynasty type situation. Respect.

This,

Have drafted extremely well and built the team correctly.

And we were all blind to it because of one missing piece. Pretty much the same exact 10 loss team in 2010 was turned into a 3 loss team with the addition of Harbaugh. I can't stand him but he is a damn good coach. I remember in 2011 someone on here said the Niners could very well make the playoffs and pages of laughing emocons followed. :lol:

Even though I can't stand watching Harbaugh being pissed off throwing childish hissy fits its the exact reason I never want to see him happy so I hope he never wins a Superbowl. Where as there's Belichick who has been pissed off the second he was conceived, says 12 words a day on average, and I love watching him hate the world when he wins a Superbowl.

Last edited:
With that coach/QB combo, itd be hard to believe the Niners wont be knocking on the door of the SB every year for the next decade.

Stop it. That Niners Defense was exposed in the super bowl. Lets get real

I Gotta agree...

everyone gets injured..sounds like an excuse to me...

Ray wasn't 100%...suggs and ngata were coming off injuries, doubt they were 100%..

The injury argument = an excuse...they got the score ran up on them in the biggest game of the season, the likes of which we've never saw them allow.....

Sounds like they were exposed to me

Last edited:
How do 9er fans feel about aldon basically being totally ineffective without Justin Smith?
I always felt the pressure of being essentially an everydown backer would catch him. I think the injury to haralson was a huge blow. Then when Justin went down, my fears were confirmed.

And the same thing happened with Denver's defense, Von and Dumervil couldn't generate a rush, plus the fact you could run at them. And look at the end result.

qft. doom and von had one sack. they not only attacked the secondary they went after champ. defenses will go after him more this year. i knew denvers secondary was good but they were exposed. they are not as good as advertised and champ is not fast. he can still play cb at a high level but he cant cover those speedy receivers.

Ben, Antonio Brown and Timmons are done, Woodley may as well. Harrison is willing to restructure but NOT for any less money. I think they keep him one more year and see how he does. No vets released but that will come soon. Saw a mock having Pitt going NT first. I don't see it

troy is on the down as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom