NFL Discussion Thread: Pats win SB XLIX. Offseason begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn Borland retiring....

Good luck to dude.
Bobby Wagner @Bwagz54

No offense to anyone but I'm playing until I can't anymore. I love this game to much.
pimp.gif

Last edited:
Soccer?
Pshhhhhh I rather they say **** it and just make kick ball a real sport
My bouncies and rolly pollies used to be clutch
I find it funny that its always the US vs the World when it comes to the soccer disconnect. 

that's what people in here are saying

for every Chris Borland there's 5 Bobby Wagner's

We ain't poor over here.
Yes it's cheaper to play but we live in our own bubble in this country. Like nothing else matters outside of the states. We have that mentality. That's why people hate us so much. It's true.

Last edited:

Maybe I shouldn't have singled out secondary but what about all the rule changes and points of "emphasis" implemented during our life time alone. Spearing disallowed, hits with the helmet disallowed, hits to the helmet disallowed, defenseless receiver, etc. There's been serious intent to make the game less physical for decades.
But most of all this was avoidable going back that 20 years you brought up. In fact, 20 years ago I was in my 3rd year of playing football and up to that point -- and the many years after that -- they never ever taught tackling by way of helmet to helmet contact or leaving your feet and leading with your helmet. Somewhere the fundamentals are lost as kids get older and with big hits being glorified, but it was definitely avoidable. Basically, there needs to be a shift back to the tackling methods they teach all the way back in pee-wee, but even then...on the NFL level -- with the size, speed and power of these guys -- a lot of contact is simply unavoidable without completely changing the landscape of the game, which we've seen starting to happen for the past 10 years or so and that's without this wave of new understanding on brain damage.

I love the game, but I feel like I'd be way too gullible or naive to think that it wasn't in jeopardy.
Don't get me started on youth coaches and the lack of actual skill development. 
mean.gif

But I really don't think the game is in jeopardy like that. You said it yourself - the landscape has changed drastically in the last ten years alone yet revenues, viewership, gate attendance, sponsorship and merchandising continue to rise. 

Even with all the concussion concerns of the past five years Participation is actually falling at a slower rate than ANY other major sport except for Hockey. 

Any changes to the game will continue to be gradual - only the most devote 10% of fans (that's all of us here) will even notice - the game is going nowhere. 

Last edited:
Don't get me started on youth coaches and the lack of actual skill development. :smh:

But I really don't think the game is in jeopardy like that. You said it yourself - the landscape has changed drastically in the last ten years alone yet revenues, viewership, gate attendance, sponsorship and merchandising continue to rise. 

Even with all the concussion concerns of the past five years Participation is actually falling at a slower rate than ANY other major sport except for Hockey. 

Any changes to the game will continue to be gradual - only the most devote 10% of fans (that's all of us here) will even notice - the game is going nowhere. 

We'll see where it goes, but good discussion. Repped.

I wonder if Borland found out the NFL is that much more physical than the college level. Maybe the disparity is greater than you think until you actually experience it. If the sport itself is in danger and players are becoming more willing to pass on playing due to health risks, wouldn't we see it effect the collegient level first?

Chris Borland must have had a long conversation with Steve Young. Realized "damn this guy is all kinds of messed up in the head... I'm out".

^Nah, teams always ask for it back. Usually never receive any of it, they signed the contract & are entitled to that money.

Been gone a few days and I come back to the signing of DMC? :smh: ... Reggie Bush to SF? Borland retired? Eagles bring in the God for a try out? My goodness this offseason continues to deliver and we're only a week in :wow:

I forgot where I read it, but I remember it being brought up years ago.

Remember when warren sapp took out that Green Bay OL and the dude was ****** up?

They said that impact was the equalavent of a minor car crash.

The chad Clifton hit?

"Put a jersey on" :lol:

Borland etiring after one season when he didn't even have concussion problems? I don't get it. Props to him for foregoing a potential stellar career but I think he's too soft. Can't even say he set himself up for life because how much did he really make.

Like what the others said, the NFL won't be affected. Many others willing and waiting for the shot to replace him.

Borland etiring after one season when he didn't even have concussion problems? I don't get it. Props to him for foregoing a potential stellar career but I think he's too soft. Can't even say he set himself up for life because how much did he really make.

Like what the others said, the NFL won't be affected. Many others willing and waiting for the shot to replace him.
eyes.gif
 yes he's soft.  You realize that the research is pretty clear that even youth football can cause permanent brain damage, so it's a wise decision for him if his health is more important than the money/he's comfortable with what he has.

And you're naive if you think the NFL won't be affected if this continues.  Or is boxing still a tier 1 sport in America?  Because it was THE most popular sport not too long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom