Nike 30th Anniversary “Just Do It” Campaign.

Right, I know he definitely sacrificed his (very promising) pro football career. But he's certainly not struggling. With Nike backing him financially, I think that saying that he sacrificed "everything" is a bit of a stretch.
where does the advertisement infer struggling? it says believe in something. even it it means sacrificing everything. everything probably refers to the football career that he trained for from youth and throughout college, to land him a job that he held for over five years. from wikipedia, he started playing football at age 8. so let's just say he played football, recreationally and professionally, for about 20 years. sounds like a lot to give up to me. his nike deal has gone on for about seven years. 20 years of football that molded your personal and professional life sounds like a lot to give up (when it's not your own free will, i.e. retirement) to me. I am also unfamiliar with the details of his prior nike contract, so I can't speak on his financial status.

where does the advertisement infer struggling? it says believe in something. even it it means sacrificing everything. everything probably refers to the football career that he trained for from youth and throughout college, to land him a job that he held for over five years. from wikipedia, he started playing football at age 8. so let's just say he played football, recreationally and professionally, for about 20 years. sounds like a lot to give up to me. his nike deal has gone on for about seven years. 20 years of football that molded your personal and professional life sounds like a lot to give up (when it's not your own free will, i.e. retirement) to me. I am also unfamiliar with the details of his prior nike contract, so I can't speak on his financial status.

If you're implying that football = everything, then sure, he sacrificed everything.

In my eyes, sacrificing everything for him entails his career and any subsequent earnings that would benefit him from the result of his career. If he weren't a pro athlete, Nike would not be paying him however much they're paying him to be the face of this campaign and having it backdated to when he started protesting.

Again, I concede that he did sacrifice his career as a football player, and as a result, all the years that he spent preparing for life as a pro athlete that were for essentially for naught. But your career is just one aspect of "everything". He's still being paid very handsomely, and, as a result, cannot say that he sacrificed "everything".

Do you think he still would have held his stance this long if Nike hadn't been backing him? It's hard to say. But to truly have sacrificed everything, that means he would've had to sacrifice the paychecks that Nike's been sending him to publicly defend his beliefs and actions.

Can someone explain how Kap sacrificed "everything" if Nike's been cutting him checks since the beginning?

No pun intended.

Nike paying him wasn't his primary source of income. He was endorsed by Nike. He risked everything, everything being his career as a football player. Would you risk your career (even if you had side money coming in) for a cause that you believe would help others??

rapcoz2134 rapcoz2134 what has been his salary since his NFL career?

No one knows. I'm reading the same news you are.

What we do know (at least based on the info that came out yesterday) is that Nike is, and has been, paying him since he started protesting. That's fine. Good for Nike.

All I'm saying is that saying he sacrificed everything is a stretch. He sacrificed a lot, but certainly not everything.

oh ok so you don't actually know what he's being paid but you still said "He's still being paid very handsomely" alright then

Stop trying to dissect the message when it's clear. The man has a belief that we as a society would be able to work together to improve on something that tears families a part and he did this by speaking out when others with a platform wouldn't. He did this by risking something most WON'T. If you feel differently maybe you should look in the mirror.

oh ok so you don't actually know what he's being paid but you still said "He's still being paid very handsomely" alright then

So sensitive :lol:

Do you sincerely believe that Nike isn't making it worth his while to keep doing what he's doing? You don't think they're sending him million dollar checks? You're either being blissfully ignorant or obscenely naive.

Stop trying to dissect the message when it's clear. The man has a belief that we as a society would be able to work together to improve on something that tears families a part and he did this by speaking out when others with a platform wouldn't. He did this by risking something most WON'T. If you feel differently maybe you should look in the mirror.

Bingo.

Too me it's all about disrespect of the flag. There are plenty of other places and opportunities to show displeasure but DO NOT do anything except stand, salute or cover your heart when the Stars and Stripes are flown and OUR National Anthem is played. That's pretty simple and not asking too much. I'm assuming "sacrifice everything" means that Kapernick is donating ALL his NIKE contract money? If it's anything but, then it's a farce- he's not "sacrificing everything"

So sensitive :lol:

Do you sincerely believe that Nike isn't making it worth his while to keep doing what he's doing? You don't think they're sending him million dollar checks? You're either being blissfully ignorant or obscenely naive.

I don't know, so I don't act like I do.

We know that Colin’s life doesn’t suck and that he’s getting paid. We know he didn’t literally sacrifice everything. But he sacrificed a lot and it was a bold move

tenor.gif

No one knows. I'm reading the same news you are.

What we do know (at least based on the info that came out yesterday) is that Nike is, and has been, paying him since he started protesting. That's fine. Good for Nike.

All I'm saying is that saying he sacrificed everything is a stretch. He sacrificed a lot, but certainly not everything.
Oh ok, maybe they should change the slogan to”even if it means sacraficing most things”.

well, that's what rapcoz was doing. he saw the slogan with the photo and picked out the word everything as the only thing that was relevant. so I explained it to him.

Dude is literally hated by half the country. There are large populations of people in this country that hate kap more than liberals hate trump. Don’t care how much he’s being paid, that’s a sacrifice. That’s the thing about activism, it’s a collective. It’s not a single act or sacrife by one person.

All I know is I'm impressed with Nike not only taking a stand here with the JDI 30 ad, but in having enough respect for the man, his message and the movement to essentially fund his work in the community while the NFL blackballed him for the last 2+ yrs.

One additional positive about all of this (in addition to bringing renewed attention to the basis of his protests - holding police and the government responsible for systemic unjust treatment of black Americans), is that we get to see racists and willfully/malignantly ignorant people out themselves with their stupid "burning Nike" antics. Oh, you mean you're cool with cops shooting killing unarmed men simply because they fear the color of their skin? OK, gotcha.

Back
Top Bottom