Nike Air 180 OG

Check that left shoe on these originals

IMG_6403.jpeg
IMG_6404.jpeg

They said they used the AM1 BB air unit in these. Clearly they were using the AM1 units as of late on the last 180 retros.

Wonder what they'll be using in the 95s as that's a completely diff setup. Actually new units from the ground up?

wow, that shoe is over 30 years old about to fall apart and toe box still is in better shape than the brand new shoes we got on Friday with camel toe creases
I would say roughly 3 years old in that picture from 1995 taken at the Mount Baldy Monastery in California

I never understood the logic that you shouldn’t wear retro running shoes to run in. Take these for example. Unless they made them inferior to the pair originally released in 91/92, running in these today should offer the same comfort level as back in the day. If they were good enough for runners back then I’m sure they are fine for runners today. 🤷🏻

I never understood the logic that you shouldn’t wear retro running shoes to run in. Take these for example. Unless they made them inferior to the pair originally released in 91/92, running in these today should offer the same comfort level as back in the day. If they were good enough for runners back then I’m sure they are fine for runners today. 🤷🏻
I mean, sure. You can run in them...but to run/train in a retro running shoe compared to the current running shoe options with the latest materials/tech...I'd go with the newer tech.

I mean....you 'can'....but why would you?

Sneaker technology has come such a long way in the past 30 years. Guarantee it would not be beneficial for your body to run in these compared to a modern day release.

illustrayt illustrayt you're a runner....what do you think?

As someone who made the mistake running in the Air Max 2013 once back in 2014 to train for a half-marathon, this was the worst choice and I can say that it's not a good idea. Those 2013s... sure, Air Max was still touted as a running shoe, but it was definitely anything but that. It might've provided enough support, but the weight and comfort was really out-of-date or poorly executed.

The mindsets behind the designs at their respective times are very different. A good example is today's supercritical foam sneakers compared to yesteryear's offerings, and Nike's Zoom Air is still relevant enough (one may argue this) to provide performance benefits, but today's times concentrate midfoot and forefoot striking, which influences the Zoom Air pockets to be put in the front of the shoe. It might work for folks at the moment, but I find it making an impact on the long run (no pun intended). I've seen a few folks run in the Air Max 1 Ultras and Roshes, and it worries me because they're not aware of the much-more-suited options.

I mean....you 'can'....but why would you?

Sneaker technology has come such a long way in the past 30 years. Guarantee it would not be beneficial for your body to run in these compared to a modern day release.

illustrayt illustrayt you're a runner....what do you think?

You can run in any shoe. However, If you care about performance (hitting a certain pace / distance), I’d definitely look at modern day tech.

Speaking of which… I scooped up a pair of retro Vomero 5s to run in LOL. I trained in the OGs for my first full marathon. Zoom Air tech is still being used today, so I’m looking forward to see how I do in them. Runs will be in 8’00”-9’00”/mile pace range while trying to keep my HR under 140bpm.

Back
Top Bottom