"Nike air Flight Huarache" Still hoping, praying, and waiting for these to return. This year or n

Yeah, I still have mine, too (the white/blue/silver pair). They're from a totally different planet than those crap 2015 retros. The 2015s were like a poor facsimile of the OG design. In addition to the weird shape, the entire shoe was scaled down in size, even the outsole. Just a super-weird retro. I remember holding them next to my '03s--the difference was jarring.

The entire Fab Five (and Michigan team) did. It's impossible to overstate the impact the Fab Five had in terms of the look/style/culture of the game. A lot of what they brought out fashion-wise wasn't their invention, as it was already popular and normal in pickup games and on the street and in casual wear. But it was pretty much the first team with national exposure to really lean into it on the big-time stage. The extra-baggy shorts, the t-shirts rather than always wearing official warmup suits during pregame. And of course, the black socks. (It's always been funny to me that, as the story goes, I believe it was a friend of Ray Jackson or Jimmy King who actually came up with the idea, not any of the players. Where's that guy today? He deserves a billion dollars in black-socks royalties :rofl: )
They were so (at the time) brash and outrageous to the stuffy mainstream, they became a rock band. They were like the college version of the Bulls on the road--everyone wanted to see them. And as a result, anything they rocked became instantly cool and credible. If those guys hadn't worn Flight Huaraches, I doubt the shoe would've done what it did at retail. And the following season when they rocked the black/white Air Force Max, well, that instantly made it a shoe we all wanted, too. To this day, I always want retros of that shoe for no other reason.

Same pair buddy. That white/blue/silver pair was beautiful!! Absolutely loved it. My pair (and my black/sagen blue pair) are still wearable surprisingly. No separation and no PU, so I think they are fine. I'll never get rid of them though. Too good looking. 👍

I copped the black/grey colorway from Dr. Jays in the summer of '04 for $49.99. I wore the s*** out of them the next school year, fell in love with huaraches because of them:smokin

I knew they were worn by the fab five, but I didn't know the rest of the impact of the fab five. Thanks for sharing

Yeah, it was really something special and almost indescribably fun to be a young hoops player and fan to be around for. If they were a team today, they’d still be special but wouldn’t have the same impact because by today’s standards their antics wouldn’t be new. But of course, they’re partially responsible for that so it’s a space/time conundrum LOL
Things were so different back then. Not like otherworldly different, but enough so that when the Fab Five landed, it was a new-look thing for the mainstream.

I knew they were worn by the fab five, but I didn't know the rest of the impact of the fab five. Thanks for sharing

Watch the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on them. It's one of their best! I watch it all the time. I was in 8th grade the year they went to the championship as freshman. They were the talk of my junior high. Everyone eventually wore black socks and baggie shorts. And ALL the different Nikes they wore. 👍

They really had a huge cultural impact on young hoopers. I had to have black socks and got the authentic Navy Michigan shorts for my bday one year. I remember my dad was tripping on the black socks thinking that they would dye my feet when i sweat in them or something along those lines :lol:

edit: I translated the post and he's talking about being excited about the new release, so the pair on his feet may be the last release.

Last edited:
Blue looks spot-on. Purple looks better than the first images but can't tell as the lighting in that photo is absolute garbage.

They mentioned late last year that the black and yellow air flight huarache kobe edition would drop this year? Anyone have info on a release ?

That’s the last release for sure. The guy’s not wearing a new one apparently….
This is the new release, I guess.
96F17354-AC30-4702-9C91-2C9ADE18F8F8.jpeg

With these, I'm gonna need to see real-life pics to get a sense of the real shape and proportions. I think that guy above is wearing the old pair, though. And I hope some of the other colorways we've seen are actually, as they appear to me, photoshops using the previous retro as the base.

Back
Top Bottom