Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

Realizing I should have went .5 down. Roomy in the toebox for me.

Then again I think I'm just realizing that I'm a tue 10.5, not 11 because everything has been fitting .5 size small lately.

Bottom line: I'm salty

Last edited:
If you would have to pick: 2007 or 2011 version? Both are NIB with very slight yellowing.

If you would have to pick: 2007 or 2011 version? Both are NIB with very slight yellowing.

I'd pick the 2007's every time, unless you're planning to get some 2011's and beat them into the ground. For one, the upper material on the 2007's is basically that year's equivalent of Nike's Durabuck formula, which I liked better than the Nubuck they used on the 2011's. For two, even if the 2011's are DS, over time they tend to get a weird white, mold like residue on parts of the midsoles and outsoles. The 2011's are not collector's pieces. I sold all but 1 pair of mine when the OG black V's were released last year.

Yea 2011 upper was fuzzy trash compared to 2007. Jb was at its peak of quality around those times it was obvious. I wouldn't purchase 2011s for under retail. 2011-2012 where the worst quality wise from jb.

Looking for a backup pair at a decent price. Anyone ever do business with Sole Supremacy?

I've used Sole Sup. a few times over the years. Generally, I don't have a problem with them except if it's an ebay listing they do not post photos of the outsole and it doesn't matter the cost or if they are new or used. If you send them a them a message requesting it, you're outta luck, they don't respond.

I also had an ebay purchase a number of years ago (~2010) for a pre-owned Jordan 6 Retro and the shoe I received
was not the shoe in the photo. When I contacted them it it took a couple of messages before they replied and stated the shoe received was the same shoe in the listing. When I pointed out the UPC codes didn't match they agreed to a refund but never offered an explanation.

IMG_1304.JPG
Unds these ****ers today

Did these ever hit the discount rack?

I hope come next year, they do the BC3 in the same amount or even more than these, so folks who actually want it get it. Screw the resellers lol

I had meant to get back to you guys on these nostalgia comments before I got caught up in the craziness around finding the suit the past 2 days. This particular suit is a BIG deal to me. Still don't have one in hand, yet.

Anyway, ahh, the spring/summer of 1990. One of my favorite times in my whole life. I got a taste of things on both coasts in 1990. I spent most of that summer in Baltimore, where I'm originally from. But I had moved to NorCal in late summer '89, and culturally it was a magical time to be in California. We of course had the famous earthquake. The A's and Niners won chips, and most of the CA sports teams were at least good. Arguably the greatest era of pro basketball was being played. The Great One was setting the ice on fire down south. Pretty much all the music was banging. The memories are so vivid. If you guys want to reminisce about 1990, I'm your guy. LOL.

I'll start with the shoes. Since you know SI, RyGuy, do you remember this?

View media item 2481197
A classmate of mine brought the Buster Douglas issue of SI to school in about mid February of '90, shortly after Iron Mike was rendered mortal, and the whole class freaked when they saw the above pic. This was the VERY FIRST public pic of the Jordan V. Kids broke their damn necks to get to the malls or sports shops when these started rolling out at the end of the month. This shoe was so far ahead of its time, the release was insanity. I was kind of screwed because I had just spent my Christmas money on a pair of Lava Tech Challenge II's literally 2 weekends before I saw this SI. My parents didn't buy me anything more expensive than Chucks or Airwalks, ever, so I had to start saving again from scratch. 4 months later, after the huge disappointment of MJ's Conference Final Game 7 fall, I was able to get the black V's the day after I flew back to Baltimore, and I spent the greatest summer of my life with the greatest V's of all glued to my feet. Even at the beach. LOL.

When I opened up that black and silver splattered box, I was surprised to find this inside:

View media item 2481202
This catalog would forever make me link this specific suit with these shoes, but literally everything in the catalog was a piece of heat. I must've spent countless hours that summer just looking through it, wishing I could afford everything in it. LOL. I never was able to get the suit while it was in stores. I had to settle for watching Will Smith wear it from afar on TV every week in the fall.

Anyway, pop culture from 1990 was pretty fun. Music was a big thing to junior high schoolers. The jeeps in Baltimore were blasting 2 Live Crew and Big Daddy Kane much like I imagine they were in NY, but the Hondas and Mustangs in Cali were bumping NWA, Ice-T, Too $hort, Digital Underground, and even still MC Hammer at that time. Hammer actually lived about a half mile up the hill from where I lived, and I ran into him out and about on occasion. Me and a group of my schoolmates used to play pickup basketball a couple times a week at a local elementary school with a few of his bodyguards. One looked like a really short version of Joe Montana, LOL. Anyway, the old '90 summer playlist had some classics that people tend to forget about. Me So Horny, C'mon Babe, U Can't Touch This, Ain't No Future In Yo Frontin', It Takes Two, Bust A Move, Poison, Pump Up The Jam, The Humpty Dance (and Freaks of the Industry), The Power, Funhouse (Kid 'n Play), My Hooptie, sheesh, I could go on. And how could I neglect to mention that Ice Ice Baby was beginning to explode in the summer of '90? Some of these videos were hilarious too. Baltimore had this channel called the Video Jukebox where you could call in and request your favorite music videos to play for like a buck or two. My friends and I stayed up all night watching it and recording stuff on VHS, LOL.

Hmm, what video games were we playing in 1990? Super Mario 3 was about the hottest thing on the planet at that point, and do you guys remember the kinda heavy handed Fred Savage 100 minute advertisement for SMB 3, a.k.a. The Wizard? LOL. Besides that, I was still playing Dragon Warrior, me and a few other RPG geek friends were grinding through Ultima 3 yet again on the NES, I had just discovered Shadowgate, and Final Fantasy hit the NES that July. The Genesis and Turbo Grafx 16 were also starting to gain momentum as the next generation of gaming, and Altered Beast, Phantasy Star II, The Legendary Axe, Keith Courage, and Blazing Lazers were popular on those platforms.

'90 had some entertaining flicks, too. By the end of that summer I had seen Tremors (several times), Back to the Future II and III, House Party, Total Recall, Gremlins 2, The Wizard, Arachnophobia, Robocop 2, The Exorcist III, and Flatliners (a sequel is actually coming up soon).

Last but not least, who could forget some of the most notable TV of '90? The Fresh Prince of Bel Air tops the list. I had to go SOMEWHERE to get my Nike and Jordan fix. Besides that, there was also The Cosby Show, A Different World, 21 Jump Street, The Wonder Years, Doogie Howser, and Beverly Hills 90210. Both In Living Color and Twin Peaks started that year. Freddy's Nightmares and Friday the 13th (the show) haunted my screen late at night every weekend after episodes of Saturday Night's Main Event. I bet you guys don't even remember Parker Lewis Can't Lose. And I swear, you guys should've given Cop Rock a chance. LOL, maybe not.

I'm curious about how many of you are going to be burning up Wikipedia after you read this. LOL.

Anyway, that's my nostalgic, big haired, baseball capped, mullet wearing, neon soaked, not so short trip down 1990 memory lane. If that can't get you in a 1990 loving mood, I don't know what will. LOL.
Dont forget Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence.

Back
Top Bottom