Nike Air Pegasus ALL NEW MODELS 30, 31, 32 and up

$150

5CFDE7FC-C094-4D6F-B9BF-B835F79A83AF.gif
I was fearing they’d be $180 +. Glad they’re not.

I just need Nike to drop them so I can use my 10% off birthday coupon if there are no restrictions on the shoes.

Women's black/white peg 39 are already showing up at the outlet here. I was gonna buy them for my wife since she likes pegs but she thought they were a boring colorway.

Nike Pegasus Turbo Next Natures have released here in Taiwan (and most of Asia) and I have about 35kms in this show now (3 runs) since I got them on Thursday last week. I have some opinions...

TLDR: I like this shoe, a lot... but if you were expecting a Nike Turbo 1/2 you will be very disappointed. The Streakfly is a better Turbo for those who want a fast lightweight trainer. If standard pegs give you no trouble then stick with them for the all-arounder.

Background

I'm one of those people who didn't love the Nike Turbo. I only had one pair of the v1 but I had 4 pairs of the v2s (3 standard pairs and the odd Turbo Shield booty they released). Overall, according to Strava, I put about 1300kms on all the pairs I had. It's not that I didn't like the shoe, obviously, it's more it was that all around trainer that could do anything... but there were faster shoes (i.e. 4% & Next %) and for long runs I found the ZoomX foam would bottom out and rarely grabbed them for runs over 20k. But , it was that one shoe that could do it all.

I've also had a love/hate relationship with the Pegasus. I ran a lot in the Peg 36, over 1800km in 2 pairs (again ccording to Strava). I've also run about 1500kms in the peg 37/38/39, but that is 9 pairs of those three models. I've had endless issues with the damn airbags in the peg 37/38/39, deflating, popping, shifting forward or backward in the foam, hot spots on the ball of my foot, ankles issue form deflated bags in one shoe but not the other, air bags being over pressured and bulging in the shoe... basically the first pair of Peg 37s I bought I happily put 725kms on and then after than pair, nothing but issues. I love the peg, as when it feels good it feels AMAZING... but I can't seem to get more than 100kms out of a pair before I get a problem or foot pain. No other shoe has ever given me this drama.

So the idea of a traditional feeling trainer, the tis foam only, from Nike, sounds perfect. I swear if they just replaced the damn airbags in the peg 39 with ZoomX foam, I'd be happy.

My current rotation has been a peg 39 as the default... a streakfly as my alt all-around/fast shoe, Invincible as my recovery/long run shoe, Alpha Fly 2 as my long run/tempo... occasional runs in Next %2s just because that shoe ie special. I'm a marathoner and starting my build for fall racing now... so upping the miles. My last pair of Peg 39s died 2 weeks ago and I have been running in ZoomX shoes only for two weeks, my feet/legs feel great but I like to have a more traditional default shoe though.

So I went to my nike store last Thursday, to buy a new pair of peg 39s + Invisible 2s and saw the Peg Turbo Next Nature on the wall...was stoked as I've been waiting for it.

The feel in hand (Did Adidas make this shoe?)
The shoe does not feel like a Nike shoe at all. In fact if you told me to close my eyes and put it in my hand I would have guess Adidas. Adidas shoes just have a different feel than Nike shoes... I can't really describe it, but IYKYK.

The upper (It sucks)
The upper is very rough & scratchy material, like Adidas shoes... or on par with any recycled Nike ACG shoes I've ever had. It feels recycled, it does not feel premium at al. The Alpha Fly nature's upper felt nice and it felt premium. This upper feels like it should be on a Walmart shoe. The upper is also VERY heavy and VERY water absorbent. I'm not one to complain about hot uppers, even living in Taiwan where summer temps rarely drop below 31C (87F) and 70% humidity is considered bone dry here. But the upper on this shoe is insane the amount of sweat it absorbs... the shoe is noticeably heavier after a sweaty run. It also just "feels" heavy, especially compared to the amazing uppers on the Streak/Vapor/Alpha Flys. The laces are too stretchy and there are no extra eyelet holes for a runners knot. It is a fully gusseted tongue and that does hold the foot in place just fine. Lastly, it has the stupid racing stripe from the Turbo v1s, which I still hate but at least there is not stitching to give you blisters. On foot, the inside of the upper gives me no issues, it's softer inside but still very thick.

The Last (100% Adidas)
This is a long and narrow shoe. Total edge case to any other Nike that has come out this season, as they all have bene having more generous toe-boxes and overall lasts. The Peg Next nature is long and narrow, noticeably so for my narrow feet. It fits me fine, but I never have issues with Nike running shoes as well. Honestly, the fit of this shoe reminds me of the Bottom 9 or the original SL20...not a bad thing for me, but those who already have fit issues with Nike will have more with this one. I bought my normal size (US Mens 9.5) but honestly probably could have sized down a half size on length (something I never have done or felt the need to with a Nike).

The Midsole (Not what you'd expect)
SR02 foam + recycled ZoomX, works, but most will hate it. Those of you that had the Alpha Fly Nature know recycled ZoomX is considerably stiffer and has less bounce than fresh ZoomX... that is very true in this shoe. In fact, back to the Adidas comparison... the midsole feels a lot like Adidas's boost/generic foam combos found in the Boston 9 and Adios 5 (more on this later). This is also a stiff midsole. Im not sure why as SR02 is not very stiff foam... it must be the glue and the lamination between the two foams. In hand the shoe is much more stiff than a Peg 39.

The outsole (Random Nike waffle)
Honestly... its a waffle outsole, nothing special. Not a versatile as a standard Peg but not as fragile as a streak/vapor fly. The recycled rubber feels heavy and is wearing similar to the rubber Ron the peg 39 for me. It is fine. Nothing special.

The ride (Traditional with a capital T)
Seems like I hate the shoe, but I don't. Honestly, it's a breath of fresh air. I'm a Nike guy, 100%, always have been as a runner. However, the Adidas Boston 8/9 is maybe my favorite running shoe of the past 5 years, especially for a daily trainer. The Peg Turbo Next Nature doesn't feel 100% like the Boston8/9 but it is as close to it as I would expect in the era of ultra high stack shoes. In fact the Turbo Next nature feels like a combo of the Boston8/9, Adios 5 and SL20 v1... but better. The recycled ZoomX works better than Boost, plus I think there is more foam in this shoe, I don't know the specs but it is less than midsole than the peg 39 (The Peg Turbo was 28mm in the heel, 18mm in the forefoot, with a 10mm drop). The Turbo Next Nature feels around that, maybe a little more foam (32mm heel and 24mm in the forefoot with a 8mm drop maybe).

It feels as traditional as a shoe can get, which I love. Compared to the Invincible, which rolls your forward on a cloud, the Turbo next Nature just feels flat and rewards a good forefoot foot strike...the ZoomX does it's job. It's not ZoomX bounce... but it's better than react, a lot better, my feelt/legs feel as fresh as they do running in pure ZoomX foam. The shoe feels stiff through your stride, but not as stiff as you'd expect it too from it's in hand feeling. In fact, I noticed today that the shoe felt a little less stiff...after about 25k of use. The only shoe I can compare this too is the Boston 9, not exactly the same, but close... but Peg Turbo Next Nature is heavier, not quite a versatile but almost as fun to run in. The only Nike shoe I can think of that comes close to feel of this is the Rival 3, which is common here in Asia, but rare in the states, that shoe is all SR02 with the peg 35/36 style airbag, similar outsole geometry to the Peg Turbo next Nature, but the Rival 3 feels lighter and more nimble.

Bottom line (This shoe will not be popular)
I don't think reviewers are going to like this shoe much. Those who expect a Turbo 3, in the same line... will especially hate it. Those reviewers who do like lower stack and more traditional feel in a daily trainer might be ok with it but I think there are many non-Nike options out there now. If you liked the Adidas Boston 9, have had trouble with the Peg 37/38/39 airbags like me and/or miss how old-school runners felt... this shoe may be a good options.

Some pictures, with the pair of invincible 2s I bought with them... nothing to say about those... nothing has changed in them really, but it's a good contrast between ultra plush pure ZoomX and recycled ZoomX with the carrier foam. Oddly the Peg Turbo Next Nature stack looks fairly even to the Invincible side-by-side... but trust me they are not remotely close on foot in feel.

IMG_6818.png IMG_6819.png IMG_6820.png IMG_6821.png IMG_6822.png IMG_6823.png IMG_6824.png IMG_6825.png

Last edited:
RW is now showing a release date of 8/18 for the Peg Turbo Next Nature. Hopefully we see these on the Nike app tomorrow.

Nothing on RW or NDC in US. Unless they drop later today, it might be next Thursday for the Pegasus Turbo Nature.

Got the regular 39s recently from the Eastbay sale… they look and fit and feel closer to the 36 than 37/38, which is a good thing in my book.

Only problem is that the insole on the right shoe is somehow a little too small and doesn’t sit right on my inner arch. So they’ll be going back and I ordered a new pair in the meantime. Fingers crossed the quality is better.

I had to send my first pair of Streakflys back too, not a good recent trend, Nike…

^ anything paired with a flyknit trainer upper will look good. That’s really the best upper I’ve seen in the last 10 years.

I really wish the trainers had the swoosh placement of the htms/lunar 1s.

Back
Top Bottom