Nike Air Trainer Max 91 PICS (sneakernews)

Do these still have the banana boat syndrome shape wise? it usually seems to occur after a few wears. Im just wondering if Nike is getting better with the shapes over the years. They may use the same wrong colors and materials but if the shapes are improving, thats one big positive

Surprise Surprise.

Eastbay.com just dropped the BLACK.WHITES a few days ago.

One little tidbit threw me into a frenzy:
Other details include an Air[emoji]174[/emoji] unit in the heel for cushioning and a running-inspired rubber sole that's perfect for working out in a gym or taking it to the streets.
------------

Is this a joke? They called them the Air Trainer MAX because of the apparently large volume airbag used throughout the entire MIDSOLE and now you tell me, it's heel only?

I don't know what to say here. Maybe if Eastbay never revealed that, I would still be under the assumption that I had full length air technology.. Then again, My foot should tell me that right away. What a sneaky money grubbing move Nike. People like myself who knew the past technologies and what was in what shoe is EXPOSING you for the rats that you are.. I'm through with Nike Retros.. Who knows what else we are or aren't getting retro wise
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Am I overreacting is or this just a piss poor move by Nike? Don't call it something it's not.. False advertising. I'll get the BBB involved. Just because I'm an informed consumer does not mean you can do something like this for the vast majority

Don't believe the BO HYPE. These need to be renamed... AIR TRAINER MIN '91

Surprise Surprise.

Other details include an Air[emoji]174[/emoji] unit in the heel for cushioning and a running-inspired rubber sole that's perfect for working out in a gym or taking it to the streets.
------------

Is this a joke? They called them the Air Trainer MAX because of the apparently large volume airbag used throughout the entire MIDSOLE and now you tell me, it's heel only?

I don't know what to say here. Maybe if Eastbay never revealed that, I would still be under the assumption that I had full length air technology.. Then again, My foot should tell me that right away. What a sneaky money grubbing move Nike. People like myself who knew the past technologies and what was in what shoe is EXPOSING you for the rats that you are.. I'm through with Nike Retros.. Who knows what else we are or aren't getting retro wise
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Am I overreacting is or this just a piss poor move by Nike? Don't call it something it's not.. False advertising. I'll get the BBB involved. Just because I'm an informed consumer does not mean you can do something like this for the vast majority

I don't think Max suggests anything in the forefoot correct? Similar to Air Max 90, Air Max Trainer 94, Air Max 1 etc. Maybe it implies a maximum amount of air cushioning for that particular region.

I don't think Max suggests anything in the forefoot correct? Similar to Air Max 90, Air Max Trainer 94, Air Max 1 etc. Maybe it implies a maximum amount of air cushioning for that particular region.

Eastbay sometimes put sample pictures, is that false advertising? Maybe they put the wrong info. IMO, these are retro shoes. They will never be OG. You either deal with it and move on or complain about it which only goes unheard 'cause Nike don't give a crap about what people say anyways..ahaha... Maybe Nike don't want to make the retros to the very exact specification as the OG one 'cause it will take away a thing or 2 from the OG shoes being OG.

Anyways, just my my opion. Im just happy that I get a chance to buy shoes that I didn't get to buy in the past. Is it OG quality, probably not. Can I wear an OG shoes if I did find a pair, probably not. You win some, u lose some.

Eastbay sometimes put sample pictures, is that false advertising? Maybe they put the wrong info. IMO, these are retro shoes. They will never be OG. You either deal with it and move on or complain about it which only goes unheard 'cause Nike don't give a crap about what people say anyways..ahaha... Maybe Nike don't want to make the retros to the very exact specification as the OG one 'cause it will take away a thing or 2 from the OG shoes being OG.

Anyways, just my my opion. Im just happy that I get a chance to buy shoes that I didn't get to buy in the past. Is it OG quality, probably not. Can I wear an OG shoes if I did find a pair, probably not. You win some, u lose some.

Originally Posted by heelntoe wit my nyks

Nah. I know what i'm talking about. Nike's early catalogs are filled with 'biggest air bag yet. large volume air in TWO PLACEs'
http://my.opera.com/prideone/albums/show.dml?id=3887872
heck, your diamond turfs and carnivore OGs had double air. The retros?
laugh.gif

I'm through with it though. I feel like a victim of a crime being interrogated and blamed for what happened to me.. I'm not the bad guy here.

Originally Posted by heelntoe wit my nyks

Nah. I know what i'm talking about. Nike's early catalogs are filled with 'biggest air bag yet. large volume air in TWO PLACEs'
http://my.opera.com/prideone/albums/show.dml?id=3887872
heck, your diamond turfs and carnivore OGs had double air. The retros?
laugh.gif

I'm through with it though. I feel like a victim of a crime being interrogated and blamed for what happened to me.. I'm not the bad guy here.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Surprise Surprise.

Other details include an Air[emoji]174[/emoji] unit in the heel for cushioning and a
running-inspired rubber sole that's perfect for working out in a gym or
taking it to the streets.
------------

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Hmmmm, I wonder if my black/white retros are full length or heel only. It still amazes me at the cost cutting they do to save a penny or two per shoe.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Surprise Surprise.

Other details include an Air[emoji]174[/emoji] unit in the heel for cushioning and a
running-inspired rubber sole that's perfect for working out in a gym or
taking it to the streets.
------------

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Hmmmm, I wonder if my black/white retros are full length or heel only. It still amazes me at the cost cutting they do to save a penny or two per shoe.

its funny cuz the first time they retroed these they were 90 bucks retail. 15 bucks to remove the max air and painted midsole lol

i love this shoe though so i will pick up as many as i can on discount that is...

and wally sometimes eastbay does *%$+ up on the description but something tells me they didnt on this because we all know how nike is being so cheap these days with the tech. They know you got a bunch of young dudes buying retros just because they are "retros" so they dont care if its not like the exact same shoe we remember. just look at the barkley thread and all them dudes saying copped and admitting they never had the ogs..

times keep changing for the worse at nike...lol

its funny cuz the first time they retroed these they were 90 bucks retail. 15 bucks to remove the max air and painted midsole lol

i love this shoe though so i will pick up as many as i can on discount that is...

and wally sometimes eastbay does *%$+ up on the description but something tells me they didnt on this because we all know how nike is being so cheap these days with the tech. They know you got a bunch of young dudes buying retros just because they are "retros" so they dont care if its not like the exact same shoe we remember. just look at the barkley thread and all them dudes saying copped and admitting they never had the ogs..

times keep changing for the worse at nike...lol

Originally Posted by NobleKane

and wally sometimes eastbay does *%$+ up on the description but something tells me they didnt on this

I also believe the description is accurate, but just to be sure, I am checking around within the company for verification and hope to have an answer tomorrow.

EastbayRep - Ryan

Originally Posted by NobleKane

and wally sometimes eastbay does *%$+ up on the description but something tells me they didnt on this

I also believe the description is accurate, but just to be sure, I am checking around within the company for verification and hope to have an answer tomorrow.

EastbayRep - Ryan

Can't lie, chances are I will pick these up in the black and white color. It does suck that we are getting screwed over but then again this has been going on since 04/05. You can get these for 70 bucks through footlocker (that is with the 30 dollar off coupon). I remember in 2005 picking these up for 40 dollars a piece on Jamaica Ave. Wonder if that will happen this time around.....

Can't lie, chances are I will pick these up in the black and white color. It does suck that we are getting screwed over but then again this has been going on since 04/05. You can get these for 70 bucks through footlocker (that is with the 30 dollar off coupon). I remember in 2005 picking these up for 40 dollars a piece on Jamaica Ave. Wonder if that will happen this time around.....

^Eastbayrep, thanks for the potential confirmation.. I was just excited to finally see it in writing. An "EXPOSED" state of shock if you will. For years you can guess and question about what a shoe may or may not have because many times, it's never revealed.. But the cats out of the bag on this one
-----------------
Magic1978, That little quoted highlight about HEEL only air came from the eastbay description of the black/whites.
------------

NobleKane, I do see your point though. These were likely at the $120 threshold or higher upon original release. And years later, it's basically cheaper for a reason... The shoe itself is cheaper. It's true production means are better, and the R&D costs are non existent with second coming retros, but it just boils down to Nike not doing the consumer any favors. Along with production means being cheaper and zero R&D costs, you just have a cheaper quality item being built... A tri-fold of Success. A true optimist could assume with cheaper production and no R&D, that a product could be sold at a cheaper price with the same quality. (it's done in many other areas out there).

ie. $130 then as a first production air max model with leading top of the line technology. It could be translated 20 years later as a $105 dollar retro that is $25 dollars cheaper because of production means being more efficient with all of the bells and whistles still attached. Think of DVD players or TVs. First edition items were 4-5 times more than what they sold for just years later.

INSTEAD, we get $105 dollar retros that are worse in every possible category (shape, materials, cushioning). A total downgrade.  A top of the line DVD player that was $600 then is now a $500 dollar player with less features. Every buying sector out there except for NIKE RETROSappears to understand that. How is they are getting one by us is beyond me.

The scary thing is, I think I know what a full length air sole feels like. I've been under that assumption that a few of my retros have that. but for all I know, it could've been cheapened up from the onset... Will that lead to potential injuries as I go about doing something I THOUGHT these were intended for? Now I don't know about lawsuits, but it's a real sleaze ball move. Maybe the consumer should be held accountable as they assume that a product that is now currently cheaper would have the same technology. What kind of optimism is that?

It's only really ever revealed by a website like eastbay or by a person dissecting a beat up pair. The whole retro shoe genre has such great money making potential for Nike as we care less and less about whats in a shoe. So much so that NIKE PERFORMANCE has taken cues from them. We're telling the Nike top guys some great news when we buy these products.

Have fun guys. You're feeding the beast.

And don't get it twisted. Nike Retro appears just fine when 90% of a shoes stock goes to outlets, because Money is still being made. Think about how they feel when they sucker consumers in for that true MSRP. What's being made there? 3x the production cost?.. For outlet foder, they are still banking atleast 2x. No company should be content with shoes going to outlet, but they know exactly what they are selling and have given their okay. Connect the two together. More outlet stores than ever all around the USA in just about every state vs. the recent quality of shoes..

Now put these scenarios into thought:
2010 retro costs $105 MSRP. cost make to $25... bare bones model such as this trainer max 91 retro
vs.
proposed 2010 retro cost $120. cost to make is $40... Everthing top of the line.

Nike is content with a $105 model selling for $50 at outlets. They are in the business of pushing large quantities of a product out there. Making only $25 per shoe isn't all that bad considering the amount that get sold at that price... Nike may see that $120 dollar MSRP top of the line shoe sit at even $60 bucks at outlets, where it's a $20 dollar profit.. It's basically BETTER for Nike to make cheaper products than top of the line stuff.

Just some words for thought.

At  the end of the day, many consumers do get a decent deal, like trethousandgt says about them going for $40 last time around. We're basically getting them for a price that is more in tune with the quality on the shoe. So there are a few winners out there. If you are content with a collection of $40 dollar "retros", then you should be loving this trend.

^Eastbayrep, thanks for the potential confirmation.. I was just excited to finally see it in writing. An "EXPOSED" state of shock if you will. For years you can guess and question about what a shoe may or may not have because many times, it's never revealed.. But the cats out of the bag on this one
-----------------
Magic1978, That little quoted highlight about HEEL only air came from the eastbay description of the black/whites.
------------

NobleKane, I do see your point though. These were likely at the $120 threshold or higher upon original release. And years later, it's basically cheaper for a reason... The shoe itself is cheaper. It's true production means are better, and the R&D costs are non existent with second coming retros, but it just boils down to Nike not doing the consumer any favors. Along with production means being cheaper and zero R&D costs, you just have a cheaper quality item being built... A tri-fold of Success. A true optimist could assume with cheaper production and no R&D, that a product could be sold at a cheaper price with the same quality. (it's done in many other areas out there).

ie. $130 then as a first production air max model with leading top of the line technology. It could be translated 20 years later as a $105 dollar retro that is $25 dollars cheaper because of production means being more efficient with all of the bells and whistles still attached. Think of DVD players or TVs. First edition items were 4-5 times more than what they sold for just years later.

INSTEAD, we get $105 dollar retros that are worse in every possible category (shape, materials, cushioning). A total downgrade.  A top of the line DVD player that was $600 then is now a $500 dollar player with less features. Every buying sector out there except for NIKE RETROSappears to understand that. How is they are getting one by us is beyond me.

The scary thing is, I think I know what a full length air sole feels like. I've been under that assumption that a few of my retros have that. but for all I know, it could've been cheapened up from the onset... Will that lead to potential injuries as I go about doing something I THOUGHT these were intended for? Now I don't know about lawsuits, but it's a real sleaze ball move. Maybe the consumer should be held accountable as they assume that a product that is now currently cheaper would have the same technology. What kind of optimism is that?

It's only really ever revealed by a website like eastbay or by a person dissecting a beat up pair. The whole retro shoe genre has such great money making potential for Nike as we care less and less about whats in a shoe. So much so that NIKE PERFORMANCE has taken cues from them. We're telling the Nike top guys some great news when we buy these products.

Have fun guys. You're feeding the beast.

And don't get it twisted. Nike Retro appears just fine when 90% of a shoes stock goes to outlets, because Money is still being made. Think about how they feel when they sucker consumers in for that true MSRP. What's being made there? 3x the production cost?.. For outlet foder, they are still banking atleast 2x. No company should be content with shoes going to outlet, but they know exactly what they are selling and have given their okay. Connect the two together. More outlet stores than ever all around the USA in just about every state vs. the recent quality of shoes..

Now put these scenarios into thought:
2010 retro costs $105 MSRP. cost make to $25... bare bones model such as this trainer max 91 retro
vs.
proposed 2010 retro cost $120. cost to make is $40... Everthing top of the line.

Nike is content with a $105 model selling for $50 at outlets. They are in the business of pushing large quantities of a product out there. Making only $25 per shoe isn't all that bad considering the amount that get sold at that price... Nike may see that $120 dollar MSRP top of the line shoe sit at even $60 bucks at outlets, where it's a $20 dollar profit.. It's basically BETTER for Nike to make cheaper products than top of the line stuff.

Just some words for thought.

At  the end of the day, many consumers do get a decent deal, like trethousandgt says about them going for $40 last time around. We're basically getting them for a price that is more in tune with the quality on the shoe. So there are a few winners out there. If you are content with a collection of $40 dollar "retros", then you should be loving this trend.

Back
Top Bottom