Nike HyperAdapt: 1.0 and Adapt BB

To all of the folks who are dismissing the Adapt BBs as a “gimmick” or suggesting that the tech is neither needed nor wanted (I.e. the “solving a problem that doesn’t exist” theory) - do any of you even play basketball?

I find it hard to imagine that anyone who actually plays basketball would think any of the above. Even if you were in the minority for whom fit/lockdown are afterthoughts (cough KD cough) - if you play basketball, you’d at least know that you’re in the minority (I.e. I’d argue that fit/lockdown is a major concern for the majority of people who play basketball).

Personally, I haven’t been this excited about a new product PERIOD (whether it be a sneaker, an electronics product, etc) in ages - and it’s 100% due to my hopes for its utility, not its novelty.

Couldn’t agree more! I can only hoop in Kobe’s bc lock down is always A1 with Kobe’s

Last edited:
In my case there are models out there that lock me down perfectly and give me what I need without the need of adaptive lacing. If this shoe gets people the fit they want, I see no problem with it. More power to them.

Where I would really like this technology be used towards is for those with disabilities. I feel this tech has the opportunity to greatly benefit them.

412CBEE6-CF99-4ABE-9787-69009DAF743A.jpeg
View attachment 2254100 I have a reconstructed left hand so it gets annoying, if a shoe lace becomes un done on the b ball court! I can tie them back up but not as quick as I used too with 10 fingers lol

Got in terrible car accident when I was 22 and my vehicle flipped 6 times... Hand got crushed when I was flipping! 11 surgery's later and still killing peeps on the court :rofl:

View attachment 2254100 I have a reconstructed left hand so it gets annoying, if a shoe lace becomes un done on the b ball court! I can tie them back up but not as quick as I used too with 10 fingers lol

Got in terrible car accident when I was 22 and my vehicle flipped 6 times... Hand got crushed when I was flipping! 11 surgery's later and still killing peeps on the court :rofl:

Much respect gwizz

To all of the folks who are dismissing the Adapt BBs as a “gimmick” or suggesting that the tech is neither needed nor wanted (I.e. the “solving a problem that doesn’t exist” theory) - do any of you even play basketball?

I find it hard to imagine that anyone who actually plays basketball would think any of the above. Even if you were in the minority for whom fit/lockdown are afterthoughts (cough KD cough) - if you play basketball, you’d at least know that you’re in the minority (I.e. I’d argue that fit/lockdown is a major concern for the majority of people who play basketball).

Personally, I haven’t been this excited about a new product PERIOD (whether it be a sneaker, an electronics product, etc) in ages - and it’s 100% due to my hopes for its utility, not its novelty.
Just sounds like Nike got you and you're not good at ball lol. Sorry you might be nice as ever but you sound crazy with this do you play ball stuff if you don't agree about this stuff being a gimmick or not warranted.

Look the sneakers I get might not have the greatest lockdown but rarely has it been that much of a problem where I thought someone needs to make autolacing sneakers for that super extra lockdown. Come on my guy you sounding like someone on the payroll. How much is this lockdown your getting really going to change your game? I don't think I'm in the minority I just think folks mainly online like sounding like they are more knowledgeable about stuff. Again I don't know you so it's not just you just something I've noticed that doesn't get as much burn when talking the same thing offline with basketball sneakers.

Just sounds like Nike got you and you're not good at ball lol. Sorry you might be nice as ever but you sound crazy with this do you play ball stuff if you don't agree about this stuff being a gimmick or not warranted.

Look the sneakers I get might not have the greatest lockdown but rarely has it been that much of a problem where I thought someone needs to make autolacing sneakers for that super extra lockdown. Come on my guy you sounding like someone on the payroll. How much is this lockdown your getting really going to change your game? I don't think I'm in the minority I just think folks mainly online like sounding like they are more knowledgeable about stuff. Again I don't know you so it's not just you just something I've noticed that doesn't get as much burn when talking the same thing offline with basketball sneakers.

I see the whole adapt thing as both a gimmick AND a potentially useful feature. If I still played a lot of ball, the thing that would intrigue me about this tech isn't so much the fit and lockdown but the convenience of being able to quickly loosen and tighten the shoes when you go in and out of the game. Hardly a critical element for most people, but definitely a nice little thing to have available to you. Is it worth $350? Probably not, but if Nike really does stick with developing and implementing this stuff, the price will come down just like it does with all tech. I remember when DVD players were $800 LOL

I see the whole adapt thing as both a gimmick AND a potentially useful feature. If I still played a lot of ball, the thing that would intrigue me about this tech isn't so much the fit and lockdown but the convenience of being able to quickly loosen and tighten the shoes when you go in and out of the game. Hardly a critical element for most people, but definitely a nice little thing to have available to you. Is it worth $350? Probably not, but if Nike really does stick with developing and implementing this stuff, the price will come down just like it does with all tech. I remember when DVD players were $800 LOL
I agree with everything you said. I was just like my man I quoted was saying some stuff that was quite head scratching. I had the adidas computer 1bb or whatever they called it so I'm all for gimmicks and potentially useful. End of the day most sneakers do a good enough job of lockdown that this isn't really necessary esp for most people posting on here/in general playing at la fitness or some little gym league lol. The price will go down heck the first version of these were 750 or so so you're correct on that front also.

Wow man. Much respect from here as well.

The Adapt BB reminds me of the Command Force and Command Force 180. Back when you could pump your shoes to improve the shoes support.

We’ll see how committed Nike is to the tech after a couple of releases...Like others have said they immediately bring the Nike+ stuff to mind...

Let’s be honest here, at this point most people looking at this shoe are weekend warriors who might play a couple hour pickup game on the weekends...At some point they’ll weigh the pros and cons of this shoe and I guarantee the majority will say they’ll opt out of that price and just continue tying their shoes like they’ve done since they’ve been playing...

What Nike needs to do is first and foremost bring the price down...Secondly they need to market these to the people who are in legitimate need of a self tying shoe...People with debilitating injuries and/or diseases...They’ve already touched on this with the Flyease system and have received nothing but positivity and praise from what I’ve seen...The practical application of the tech, at this point and in relation to the price, just isn’t worthwhile to Joe Schmo...To some people the tech could literally be life changing...

The idea would be to slowly move the tech out there at an accessible price point, to people who actually need it, before moving it into a more mainstream role in the catalog...To put it bluntly, right now it’s a novelty, just like Nike+, just like the Adidas smart tech or whatever it was...Where are both of those now?

We’ll see how committed Nike is to the tech after a couple of releases...Like others have said they immediately bring the Nike+ stuff to mind...

Let’s be honest here, at this point most people looking at this shoe are weekend warriors who might play a couple hour pickup game on the weekends...At some point they’ll weigh the pros and cons of this shoe and I guarantee the majority will say they’ll opt out of that price and just continue tying their shoes like they’ve done since they’ve been playing...

What Nike needs to do is first and foremost bring the price down...Secondly they need to market these to the people who are in legitimate need of a self tying shoe...People with debilitating injuries and/or diseases...They’ve already touched on this with the Flyease system and have received nothing but positivity and praise from what I’ve seen...The practical application of the tech, at this point and in relation to the price, just isn’t worthwhile to Joe Schmo...To some people the tech could literally be life changing...

The idea would be to slowly move the tech out there at an accessible price point, to people who actually need it, before moving it into a more mainstream role in the catalog...To put it bluntly, right now it’s a novelty, just like Nike+, just like the Adidas smart tech or whatever it was...Where are both of those now?

Sort of as I said above, if they are committed to this tech then everything you say will be addressed. Just like when DVD players were $800, the price on NIke Adapt tech will come down. It's already half of what it was two years ago. They've seemingly been working on this for a LONG time, with a lot of resources put into it. From that standpoint alone, I have a hard time seeing them abandoning it within a year or three.

as somewhat of a sneakerhead (noob) i enjoy tying my shoes, that's part of the process, plus, i get to stare at them longer, hehe.

Self lacing isn’t the end all be all, at least the way they made it sound. The Hyperadapt 1.0 was a showcase for what they could achieve technologically... the Adapt BB is a showcase for how they can put the same tech in an actual athletic shoe... the next few Adapts should be adding more significant practical features, or at least that’s what they hinted at with the Apple-lite press conference.

They have a lot of room to expand so I don’t think these are like Nike+, which had a narrow purpose and little room to grow.

Last edited:
I hope there are people willing to pay $1,000 for these. Mine will be sold immediately if that's the case :lol:

Well two people bit at $950 on stockx already so you never know. didnt seem like pre-orders went with the quickness of a hyperstrike but they went eventually. Hard to quantify demand when supply is equally nebulous.

611F6CE8-4148-4866-B13B-3A47CC0E9F5A.jpeg

If I miss out, I’ll wait for another CW...

I really think their will be plenty of these but who knows with NIKE :nerd:

Last edited:
There is always people who pay ridiculous prices before release. It happens for almost any shoe. That's not always indicative of market value.

I don't see these selling for $1000 consistently tbh. Especially when it's being released at FTL/FNL.

PO

There is always people who pay ridiculous prices before release. It happens for almost any shoe. That's not always indicative of market value.

I don't see these selling for $1000 consistently tbh. Especially when it's being released at FTL/FNL.

PO

It’s being sold at FTL and FNL?

Well two people bit at $950 on stockx already so you never know. didnt seem like pre-orders went with the quickness of a hyperstrike but they went eventually. Hard to quantify demand when supply is equally nebulous.

Where do you see that? When I search StockX it says the product isn't available yet. The policy is you have to ship within two days so not sure how someone has sold something on there a month in advance? It LOOKS like there have been sales if you search real quick but those sales, bids and asks all appear to be fake placeholders.

I agree with you in general though, I'm intrigued to see how the supply and demand shakes out. I'd say a $350 shoe that barely had any advance promotion and one that sold out the pre-orders within a couple hours on a Tuesday morning did pretty well. At that price point, I doubt that they made THAT many of them for this release. They don't want these things sitting on shelves and going on discount. The fact some foot stores are getting them indicates it's not SUPER limited, but then again, some Footlockers got FoGs, did they not? And people paying stupid prices for those boring *** things (just my opinion). So I won't be surprised if these do command a couple to a few hundred over retail when they drop. But then again, I won't be shocked if they don't, either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom