Nike Marketing Confusion with Lebron Shoes

The Air Max Lebron VII in which Lebron plays in during the regular season retails for $160.
The Nike Lebron P.S. in which Lebron plays in for the Playoffs retails for $140.

Lebron had an amazing and undeniable MVP season in which he averaged 29.7 PPG, 7.3 RPG, 8.6 APG, and 1 BPG while wearing the Air Max Lebron VII ($160). Currently in the he is averaging 35 PPG, 9 RPG, 8 APG, and 3 BPG all while wearing the Lebron P.S ($140). Naturally Nike could never have predicted such stats, but arguably the best predictor of future success is past performance. In last year's playoffs Lebron's stats were almost identical except for the blocks. Either way Lebron's play is undoubtedly elevated in the playoffs. Why would Nike produce a notably cheaper product to suit Lebron's play during a more demanding time like the playoff's? Why would a $140 pair of shoes be suitable for the playoffs, but for the regular season? Would it make more sense to sell a shoe for $140 during the regular season and then higher grade shoe for when "it really counts"?

Basically what Nike is telling consumers is that: a $160 pair of shoes is good for the regular season, but when you need to elevate your game and win a championship a $140 pair of shoes, without our biggest influence in the footwear world for the last 20+ years ( Air Max technology) is what you need when it really counts. 

Nike taking advantage of the fact that the Air Max Lebron VII already has 20 or so colorways flooding the market and that non HOH colorways take markdowns 80% of the time is taken into consideration, but these will almost certainly take the same price reduction path. Also being considered is the notion that people who buy every Lebron shoe will be enticed to purchase a new shoe whereas they would be likely to purchase another colorway of the same shoe ( this group is somewhat small with all things considered). If this was their reasoning they would've done the same thing for the Kobe V, even when considering that it sells more units.

The Kobe V's have a playoff edition, but it's just a different colorway of his same shoe.  ( who btw is being exposed in this year's playoffs 
wink.gif
). 

Please chime in...intelligently without debating personal preferences of players or products. 

I agree!

Look, if a player wants to switch shoes for good luck or something, that's fine. Plenty have done it. But this "completely different shoe for the playoffs" is ******ed and it's only about money for Nike.

Charging 160 for a sub par basketball shoe (yep) because it's Lebron's - only to have Nike release a completely new shoe for the playoffs - is a major rip off. Period. Every other major player under contract with a signature shoe wears their shoes throughout.

So there are two messages Nike is sending:

1. We know the AML7 is inferior. But we'll release a better LBJ shoe later on in the year. Same thing with the 8, and the 9, and so on.

2. There is no consistency in the Lebron line. His cushioning setup and tech and fit and everything changes at least TWICE A SEASON. There's no buildup, there's no accumulation of knowledge, there's no real progress in the shoe. It's just "well that's over, time for a completely new design!"

FYI, I don't know how limited your basketball is if you think Kobe is being exposed. And I don't understand this constant "take a crap on Kobe to prove I'm a Lebron fan" *********. Kobe, during the last 3 years, played basketball at the highest possible level, year round, with no breaks. He won a gold medal as the best player on the team and a ring as the best player on the championship team. He's dinged up, he's injured, and his team is tired. He's not "being exposed," he's just not in top shape. Lebron is playing incredibly, so good for him. And I get the sense that the PS7 will be his championship shoe. But that doesn't mean you gotta throw hate on Kobe. Grow up.

^Lol dude no need to get so sensitive when it comes to takin shoots at kobe, do you kno him personally, no, so y the hell u defendin him and holdin weight? And you makin pure excuses for the lakers gettin drilled, no doubt they will win the series but dont go sayin they tired, tired from what, all that cut hip aye, mussi. The lakers are gettin exposed by a younger, quicker team, they're gettin be in the transition game, the lakers would struggle when any team that pushes the ball, they play good half court d.

But anyway on to the main topic, the shoe is less because they've shaved down on some of the material, makin it a lighter shoe, thats the only thing i can see that justify the price drop.

I haven't bought a LeBron shoe since the black/red/white II's came out... nothing else about his line appeals to me, which is a shame since he may end up as the greatest player ever (if Kevin Durant doesn't beat him into submission!).

But as a casual, non-NBA baller, I'd rather pick up Kevin Durant's shoe over LeBron's shoe because KD's feel way less like only 6'8", 250+ dudes should be wearing them... and if you compare prices, the fact that you can get 2 KD's (with a good coupon code) for the price of 1 LeBron at retail makes KD's that much more appreciated.

I understand what you're saying and I've questioned this myself ever since Lebron began wearing lower level products during the post season...Everything from the 20-5-5's and Zoom soldiers to the Lebron VII PS's have been considered the inferior product from the one he wore during the regular season.

It's not the "norm" as us sneaker enthusiasts are used to. It's like if MJ wore the signature model all year long and then busted out with some team shoes for the playoffs. MJ never did it...neither did Barkley, Pippen or Penny. So when one of Nike's top players does it now, we wonder why. I can only guess it's another marketing ploy from Nike. It's a way to get the consumer to purchase another "Lebron" branded item.

However, Jason Petrie explains it a different way...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aCLoZElZmE

"Lebron has 2 seasons within a season. The Marathon is the full NBA season...82 games of regular pounding, night in-night out. 28 games being the full number of games that could possibly be in a playoff season. You're much more focused, it's much more about let's get thru these games...win at all costs. The VII PS reflects on the sprint aspect of the 28 game season...."

I guess I'm in the minority who have no issue with him switching kicks.

But then again I don't base my sneaker purchases on when player wears or what a player does in a specific shoe.

It has been discussed aready as igotthatfire247 stated but when you do really think about it, it's just Marketing and Sales genius man and ultimately how Nike markets their stuff (in addition to which player's shoes they are etc) has a deep impact on us deciding to pick up products. When you think of history though and what ijapino mentioned with previous sig lines this does bring out a perspective that suggests a diminishing of value of the dominant signature shoe for the season. But when you do look at it from a marketing perpective (which is all littered in the video reference) and see the reasoning behind reducing materials for a "sprint" to the finish...you could kinda get the idea.

I actually thnk it's a cool concept but when you do get down to night-and-day analysis it is all about trying to get more Lebron products out there and shifting the tide and focus and also bringing out something which is "slightly" more affordable and thus bring greater sales at a time when more hype is being built. Demand grows greater during the playoffs where glory and fame is built and  that is what is needed to be sustained during the offseason....Conclusion: Why not make something that is technically functional for the 28 game purpose and succumb to the possible demand increase by dropping the price slightly so everyone can have a piece of what is to or what has been "witnessed"?

Not sure if I agree with it, cuz I'd kinda agree with most on the sneakerhead side of the argument, that it does slightly diminish the value of the actual sig but on the flip side of the coin and through a business lens...it works just as well...And that equally is what I think is taken into consideration when these "cheaper" kicks are thrown out there...They did it right this time, I didn't like the Soldiers (except the 3's) so for me, at least for this season (especially with all the expectations surrounding him this year)...the concept works.

to me the weirdest thing about his switch in kicks is that his team mates are wearing the more expensive pair. That's like the Tin Man, Cowardly Lion and Scarecrow wearing the Ruby slippers.

OP why don't you ask Lebron to drop his pants and whip it out for you? Your man bopping is ridiculous.

If you had put any thought into the subject matter... which you clearly didnt...You'd realized that Lebron regualr signature shoes are basically Big Man shoes. The Lebron signature line currently isnt consumable to the masses so they make a "playoff" version which is basically a masses friendly shoe.

Also about the price..The Air max version of the shoe is clearly overpriced while the PS version is fair value for the shoe is ( give or take 10 dollars)

I must be in the minority that actually likes his playoff shoes over his sig line for hooping. The 20-5-5 and the Soldier III are my favorite shoes to hoop in from his line including his actual sigs.

less products used (360 bag, metal lace holes, leather) = lower price

The way i see it is that the shoe is something for the consumer to buy for the off-season. If you bought the sig shoe at the beginning of basketball season and torn it up at the end (NBA lasts longer than any other middle school/high school/college season), you then have something for the off-season/summer. The implements of a lighter and zoom shoe is so it becomes outdoor friendly, which is where most people like to play during the summer.

Its not a matter of "if you want to heighten your level of play, buy these"... its more like "NEW LEBRONS OUT... BUY BUY BUY"

On a side note.  How is it that Nike/Swoosh can issue the GR LBJ am VII's @ $160 msrp and discounted on Swoosh (except the ASG's) for 40% off and yet, the POP's and PS's are AT FULL RETAIL ON SWOOSH while the kids/toddler versions ARE DISCOUNTED?!... Make's no sense.

Since RD, NDC/Swoosh STILL shows FSR's for both colorways so they aren't exactly flying off the shelves w/ the exception of say Eastbay due to the no tax deal.

Hell, every Kobe GR is discounted, including the latest POP drop but 'Bron's aren't?

Originally Posted by Executive76

I guess I'm in the minority who have no issue with him switching kicks.

But then again I don't base my sneaker purchases on when player wears or what a player does in a specific shoe.

Nah dude I think theres plenty of us who like the idea of the playoff shoe, what I dont understand is how people can slam the AM Bag performance but say the addition of Zoom into essentially the same shoe is such a takedown?
eyes.gif

So OP is complaining that this PS shoe cost $20 less than his regular season shoe?

Of all things to complain about...

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

OP why don't you ask Lebron to drop his pants and whip it out for you? Your man bopping is ridiculous.

If you had put any thought into the subject matter... which you clearly didnt...You'd realized that Lebron regualr signature shoes are basically Big Man shoes. The Lebron signature line currently isnt consumable to the masses so they make a "playoff" version which is basically a masses friendly shoe.

Also about the price..The Air max version of the shoe is clearly overpriced while the PS version is fair value for the shoe is ( give or take 10 dollars)
 You obviously failed to read the "intelligently" recommendation for responding to this post.
 Making an uneducated case that his signature shoe is a "Big Man" shoe implies that he miraculously turns into something other than a "Big Man" during the playoffs. Introducing a $140 pair of basketball shoes when college and High School's are basically ending their terms hardly creates an environment suitable for "the masses".

Also, the Air Max Lebron VII is priced at FMV when taking into consideration the rest of it's line. 

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

So OP is complaining that this PS shoe cost $20 less than his regular season shoe?

Of all things to complain about...

The original post posed a question about the marketing thought process. It did not complain about any price or reduction therein.
I hope you are able to work out your issues and become a better asset to this community.

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

I must be in the minority that actually likes his playoff shoes over his sig line for hooping. The 20-5-5 and the Soldier III are my favorite shoes to hoop in from his line including his actual sigs.
same here soldier IIIs are just a fantastic lightweight shoe, but i did like the zoom lebron Vs over the soldier IIs...

however, i'd much rather not ball in the air max shoe...
but sign me up for the lee expensive forefoot+heel zoom, outrigger, carbon (molded plastic?) midfoot shank shoe!

- in previous years, putting lebron in inferior shoes (20-5-5, soldier 1, 2) didn't make sense to me from a performance standpoint. only as a marketing or sales point of view. they got on the right track with the soldier 3... making is a lightweight shoes for the playoffs but by putting lebron in his 'team' shoe for the playoffs just seems wrong 

- but this year, the 7PS makes more sense. its a stripped down, more minimal version of the 7. no bells or whistles (air max, fancy metal parts)... hence the lower price.

- what DOES NOT make sense is how nike now puts its other players (on the cavs and on other teams) in air max shoes as the playoffs start. the whole cavs team is in AM7's now - a shoe that's not "good enough" for lebron in the post season is good enough for everyone else?? i don't get it

Back
Top Bottom