Nike stepping up to stop fakes in 2019

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 5.54.34 PM.png

thoughts? :nerd:

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 5.54.34 PM.png

thoughts? :nerd:

Originally I thought this was one of those fabricated instagram post but then I remembered that the Air Jordan 5 NRG that released this past September had a QR code on the label. Maybe an early indication of this new process.

hey fellas, new poster.
I think this is great and a solid start for NT to utilize technology to fight back against fakes

Originally I thought this was one of those fabricated instagram post but then I remembered that the Air Jordan 5 NRG that released this past September had a QR code on the label. Maybe an early indication of this new process.
I didn’t see or buy the shoe I’m clueless but yeezys have had the QR code on tag and label and I’m pretty sure fakes have it too? Not 100% sure

I didn’t see or buy the shoe I’m clueless but yeezys have had the QR code on tag and label and I’m pretty sure fakes have it too? Not 100% sure

Here is a photo of the shoes with the box (the QR code located on the right hand side:

s-l1600.jpg

As far as unauthorized pairs go I believe that anything can be replicated. It depends on if they try to do it precisely (though there are always ways to tell).

Sounds doable to me. Admittedly I’m far from knowledgeable about how these things work on the technical side. But if there are unique Nike serials generated for each shoe that is traceable back to Nike servers, how could counterfeiters know those serial numbers ahead of time so they would match?

Again, I don’t know much about it but I do know something similar is a way to identify fake watches. Fakes tend to reuse the same serials over and over and people figure it out pretty quick. Companies could track this as well: Let’s say a counterfeit factory takes a legit shoe like a concord and copies that one QR code and serial number. Then that serial gets accessed 5,000 times in a short period of time. Big red flag. They could even have a database of confirmed faked serial numbers consumers could access. Again, I dunno, and it depends how far they (Nike) take it. But I believe it COULD be done, or at least go a long way to cutting into the problem.

Last entity I’d want caring about stuff like this are sites like sneakerjams. Aren’t they the fake source lol.

Not necessarily. They could make the QR code validate an encrypted serial number server side on Nike.com. It could be impossible for replica factories to mimic these unique codes... if done properly.

To piggyback off of this, what many technology product brands do is allow you to register the product if the unique QR code is legit. If done right, Nike can follow suit and the legit products can be verified/registered into one's Nike+ account where your products are additionally guaranteed to be eligible for defective returns if there are any manufacturer's defects and Nike can help you out with your registered products. Then if they want/decide to, Nike can go even further by allowing those defective returns to go back to the original account that the item is registered in. This could soften the resale process/situation, 'cause if the reseller registers the items without thinking, the buyer might not want it if anything bad happens to the shoe since they won't get anything back for a defective return if they become the second owner. Additionally, if the reseller DOESN'T register the item, the buyer can still be hesitant about it, and from personal experience, people do provide some sort of receipt that is either the exact Nike receipt or a replica of a Nike receipt along with a fake since that happened to me (I bought a shoe that I thought was real and it came with a real receipt, but the shoes were fake after really diving into it.)

This whole process should be similarly done to combat against bots for SNKRS, too. Bots have a way around things no matter what, but I don't know if I've seen a bot be able to take one's personal phone device, and use the camera on the phone to scan a QR code on another screen (whether it's another phone, a tablet, or desktop) to confirm the purchase. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Humans can do that; we can load up SNKRS, pick the shoe and size, etc, then verify our account to complete the purchase by scanning another screen with a QR (maybe mirror-scanning with your own Nike+ account's QR image or a "nike.com/qr" type of page) with our cameras to confirm the purchase. To make it even more secure, let Nike recognize what device someone uses when you log it in like Gmail or Chase does when you hop on a different device. It wouldn't necessarily be 100% easier if someone weren't able to have two devices readily in front of them, but considering the nature of how much things have worsened for buying shoes nowadays, I can't think of anything better than that.

OTHER THAN THAT, I think they're definitely making the right moves. Just need to take it a step further.

To piggyback off of this, what many technology product brands do is allow you to register the product if the unique QR code is legit. If done right, Nike can follow suit and the legit products can be verified/registered into one's Nike+ account where your products are additionally guaranteed to be eligible for defective returns if there are any manufacturer's defects and Nike can help you out with your registered products. Then if they want/decide to, Nike can go even further by allowing those defective returns to go back to the original account that the item is registered in. This could soften the resale process/situation, 'cause if the reseller registers the items without thinking, the buyer might not want it if anything bad happens to the shoe since they won't get anything back for a defective return if they become the second owner. Additionally, if the reseller DOESN'T register the item, the buyer can still be hesitant about it, and from personal experience, people do provide some sort of receipt that is either the exact Nike receipt or a replica of a Nike receipt along with a fake since that happened to me (I bought a shoe that I thought was real and it came with a real receipt, but the shoes were fake after really diving into it.)

This whole process should be similarly done to combat against bots for SNKRS, too. Bots have a way around things no matter what, but I don't know if I've seen a bot be able to take one's personal phone device, and use the camera on the phone to scan a QR code on another screen (whether it's another phone, a tablet, or desktop) to confirm the purchase. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Humans can do that; we can load up SNKRS, pick the shoe and size, etc, then verify our account to complete the purchase by scanning another screen with a QR (maybe mirror-scanning with your own Nike+ account's QR image or a "nike.com/qr" type of page) with our cameras to confirm the purchase. To make it even more secure, let Nike recognize what device someone uses when you log it in like Gmail or Chase does when you hop on a different device. It wouldn't necessarily be 100% easier if someone weren't able to have two devices readily in front of them, but considering the nature of how much things have worsened for buying shoes nowadays, I can't think of anything better than that.

OTHER THAN THAT, I think they're definitely making the right moves. Just need to take it a step further.

I understand, let's say I secure a shoe from SNKRS and it's sent to me. The QR code (information within when scanned) would contain my name, the name of the shoe, and size.

I understand, let's say I secure a shoe from SNKRS and it's sent to me. The QR code (information within when scanned) would contain my name, the name of the shoe, and size.

Yeah, or some sort of unique ID. I just see the QR/chip process being a very solid negator for many situations. You can't get a bot to scan a picture with another registered device, and it can REALLY put a dent on, if not completely end, the replicas.

An order from Nike before came in the correct box but with the actual shoes were a different size. If this were to happen again, what then?

An order from Nike before came in the correct box but with the actual shoes were a different size. If this were to happen again, what then?

cVb8mh3.gif

I'm just kidding haha. I don't think there should be a way to deter that. Maybe the unique QR code should be something different, but that's totally up to how Nike decides to play that card. I see your point though; maybe it shouldn't be a name-shoe-size type of code, but it has to be unique for sure.

The photo above shoes that the QR code will also be on the label within the shoes. So basically if I secure a shoe the processing warehouse will link both QR codes (on the box and shoes) together.

Back
Top Bottom