Nike Zoom Kobe V PROTRO - Dec 2019

Looks like cushlon or injected phylon

come to think of it, the OG had a pretty soft midsole already, the only way to upgrade this would be react

imagine if they used ZoomX foam though

Last edited:
That 3rd line in the detailed pic that starts with “softer foam in the midsole...” makes y’all think they’re removing heel zoom even though it’s mentioned?

If they kept zoom in the heel, bet they would’ve highlighted it and shown it in the tech promo pic like the carbon fiber. Looks like heel zoom gone. Not sure how I feel about zoom turbo only in the forefoot but that’s how kyries and pg’s are now

Annoying they took the large heal zoom unit out. That was my favorite part of the OG. Not sure why they would do that?

I recall the OG Kobe V had problems with traction. Based on the Nike News posted above, it would appear Nike tried to address it by creating "optimal grip." Seems promising.

As far as fit:
Protro 4 (draft day), size 9.5
Kobe 6, size 10
Kobe (OG) 5, size 10
Kobe 8, size 10
Kobe 10, size 10.

And to provide context with more recent sizing:
Adidas Boost 3.0, size 9.5.

I hope that helps for people w sizing questions. I intend to buy the Kobe V protro in size 10.

Kyrie and Paul George been putting out b-ball shoes without zoom in the heel or forefoot for the last 5. Their models are the go to shoes for guards. Lebron and KD load their shoes with zoom and most of the guards hate playing in them.

From the way it’s described it looks like they took out heel zoom and improved the foam to make it feel similar in responsiveness...
The heel zoom is embedded in the midsole so you can't see it from the angle the shoe is pictured.

It's written terribly but they are essentially saying: "We made the foam in the midsole softer so that it matches the feel of the heel zoom unit more closely."
Heel Zoom.JPG

It wouldn't surprise me at all that they removed the heel zoom but based on the info they've put out, I'm more inclined to believe it's still there. Although with Nike's recent track record, nothing is confirmed until someone does a deconstruction.

Traction pattern looks mostly the same but slightly wider.

OGs didn't have good traction out of the box. You needed to break it in. A week or two of shooting around/pickup a few times a week did the trick.
NikeNews_FeaturedFootwear_KOBE5_Protro_Chaos_3_original.jpg

The heel zoom is embedded in the midsole so you can't see it from the angle the shoe is pictured.

It's written terribly but they are essentially saying: "We made the foam in the midsole softer so that it matches the feel of the heel zoom unit more closely."
Heel Zoom.JPG

It wouldn't surprise me at all that they removed the heel zoom but based on the info they've put out, I'm more inclined to believe it's still there. Although with Nike's recent track record, nothing is confirmed until someone does a deconstruction.

Yeah I'm not sure how people are reading that and think it says they have removed the zoom in the heel.

Back
Top Bottom