Nike Zoom Kobe V PROTRO - Dec 2019

These are killing the kitchen tile traction test. :emoji_100: Expectations are high. :nthat:

IMG_20200103_193333_225.jpg

Being right about this is not at all important to me, but I respectfully disagree. And there is no way I'm giving them too much credit :lol: Trust me, I don't want to give them any...

Why would they say (reading it slowly) "Softer foam in the midsole helps deliver more energy return & similar responsiveness to the zoom air unit in the heel." What they are saying there is that the softer foam they used gives you a similar feel to zoom air in the heel. If there was zoom air in the heel, they wouldn't need to call out that the foam gives you more energy return & similar responsiveness to heel zoom! I'm telling you... in an annoying Nike-like way, this tech spec is telling you that it's just better foam in the heel giving you a similar feel to what the original V's heel zoom gave you. Please tell me someone else interprets it this way too...

1578094231448.png
I hear what you're saying. I think you make a fair point but how I interpreted your underlined statement is this: they improved/upgraded the midsole foam in the heel area so that it more closely feels like the heel zoom that is already there. They're sort of saying the old foam they used felt dead, firm and unresponsive and made the heel zoom not as effective. Now they've made the foam softer so it feels like the entire heel area is one material and has the same feel across the entire heel rather than firm, dead spots around the edges of the heel zoom unit. On the same note, it would make much more sense to use only one material in the heel if they were going for a uniform feel (this would support your belief there's no heel zoom). Perhaps they chose to include the heel zoom because it lasts longer than the foam? I don't know.

I'm also reposting/pasting what I've already said about this issue.

SOFTER FOAM IN THE MIDSOLE HELPS DELIVER MORE ENERGY RETURN & SIMILAR RESPONSIVENESS TO THE ZOOM AIR UNIT IN THE HEEL.

Replace the marketing speak with simpler words and it would still imply there is heel zoom:

SOFTER FOAM IN THE MIDSOLE IMPROVES THE ZOOM AIR UNIT IN THE HEEL.

All they needed to do was add "previous" before zoom to say there's no longer zoom:

SOFTER FOAM IN THE MIDSOLE HELPS DELIVER MORE ENERGY RETURN & SIMILAR RESPONSIVENESS TO THE PREVIOUS ZOOM AIR UNIT IN THE HEEL.

I work in marketing and understand how a lot of graphic designers’ minds work. They’re very detail oriented and particular. The protro line is about improving the original model. They have no reason to talk about tech that’s 10 years old (even if it’s still effective today). Their goal is to sell the customer on paying the premium ($50) for an allegedly superior product. That’s why everything shown and talked about are the upgrades. It doesn’t make sense to show tech from the original if it hasn’t been upgraded.

Below is someone else who agrees that based on the wording, there is heel zoom.

No one actually knows. The wording in Nike’s product description from the press release—in my view as a professional writer and editor—if read literally says the softer foam enhances the feel of the heel Zoom unit. Despite some people here reading it to say there was no heel Zoom, that is not grammatically/technically what it said.
But now we also see the video Nike made showing the tech, and it shows the midsole with nothing but foam in the heel. That’s the eyebrow raiser. Some people argued originally that Nike is only showing the upgraded tech, so that’s why no image of heel Zoom. It made some sense at first, but at this point I think that’s wishful thinking. After what happened with the IV Protro, Nike would be beyond dopey to leave out a shot of the heel bag if it indeed exists. Not that this company doesn’t do plenty of dopey things ...
Someone will have to cut open a pair. Or I guess if we can feel the Zoom under our heels come Friday, we might know that way.

It typically says zoom in the area zoom is in right? Still has it on the heel. Pretty ****ty if they added forefoot zoom, removed the heel zoom and left it on the heel.

Being right about this is not at all important to me, but I respectfully disagree. And there is no way I'm giving them too much credit :lol: Trust me, I don't want to give them any...

Why would they say (reading it slowly) "Softer foam in the midsole helps deliver more energy return & similar responsiveness to the zoom air unit in the heel." What they are saying there is that the softer foam they used gives you a similar feel to zoom air in the heel. If there was zoom air in the heel, they wouldn't need to call out that the foam gives you more energy return & similar responsiveness to heel zoom! I'm telling you... in an annoying Nike-like way, this tech spec is telling you that it's just better foam in the heel giving you a similar feel to what the original V's heel zoom gave you. Please tell me someone else interprets it this way too...

1578094231448.png

That's how I interpreted it when I first saw the release description. But a few people in here insisted that the description meant there is heel zoom. The key word for me was "similar". They wouldn't say "similar" to a heel zoom if there was a heel zoom.

SOFTER FOAM IN THE MIDSOLE HELPS DELIVER MORE ENERGY RETURN & SIMILAR RESPONSIVENESS TO THE ZOOM AIR UNIT IN THE HEEL.
Replace the marketing speak with simpler words and it would still imply there is heel zoom:

• SOFTER FOAM IN THE MIDSOLE HELPS DELIVER MORE ENERGY RETURN & SIMILAR RESPONSIVENESS TO THE ZOOM AIR UNIT IN THE HEEL.
  • SOFTER FOAM IN THE MIDSOLE HELPS DELIVER MORE ENERGY RETURN & RESPONSIVENESS TO THE ZOOM AIR UNIT IN THE HEEL.

Tell me, which one there reads like it has a zoom unit and which one reads like it doesn't?

Last edited:

That doesn't seem right to me. Saying the softer foam "helps deliver more energy return and similar responsiveness to" is not the same as saying it "improves." From day one, I thought that this meant that the foam they used "replaced" the heel zoom because it "deliver(s) more energy return and similar responsiveness" to the old heel zoom. The new foam wouldn't need to give "similar responsiveness" to something that is already there, so it seems implied that the heel zoom got removed and replaced in favor of this new foam.

Called the HOH at Tyler mall and the person who answered said they had my sz. Got there and one of the workers didn’t even know they released smh. Able to cop a pair 👌

Back
Top Bottom