Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

:nerd:

any concrete info on this?

Yeah I'm pretty confused I thought I read the NZVE is what the Boston runners were running in and they were personalized. The 4% is a non flyknit version that would be releasing to the public along with the other 2 models...

From my understanding, the Flyknit version (Elite) is the one that won't be releasing to the public.

The VaporFly 4% (pictured above in the White/Black), Fly and Peg34 will be released to the public.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm pretty confused I thought I read the NZVE is what the Boston runners were running in and they were personalized. The 4% is a non flyknit version that would be releasing to the public along with the other 2 models...

The winners of the Boston Marathon wore the Vaporfly 4%. This is the same model that will be for sale to the public in June.

The Vaporfly Elite are only being developed for the three athletes that will be competing in the Breaking 2 event as these are custom fit to the specifications and preferences of these runners. These won't be available to the public.

Found this guy's blog (roadtrailrun.com) who managed to try the 4% on during the Boston Marathon:
How did they feel?

I trotted around a hotel lobby with the Vaporfly on one foot and the Kiger on the other. For sure a very brief test but distinct first impressions were had. They don't feel soft or mushy yet do feel very cushioned. I had the distinct sensation of a brief, soft pleasant landing coming to gentle but distinct end, then beginning to direct forward by what I assume is the compression of the midsole reaching the plate. Then, and this was special, as my foot moved forward to toe off a noticeable yet not abrupt sensation of tipping forward as if I suddenly was headed gently downhill with each stride or that feeling when the boogie board starts to plunge when you catch a wave. There has been talk that the Vaporfly plate is a spring but I think not. More a wave effect between foot and shoe to optimize stride and forward momentum. I had no sensation of being "sprung" off the ground. It was more a rolling sensation.

The lightness with such cushion was incredible. The closest comparison I can think of is to the Hoka Clayton 2 but here less shock seems to be transmitted and the stiffness, and the Clayton is stiff too, is less noticeable as the plate flows forward better than the rocker approach of the Clayton.

Can't wait to try these out but a question though, since ZoomX is just rubber and has no zoom pods, does that mean the new Pegasus won't have the forefoot and heel zoom anymore?

Are there tech specs yet on the shoes that are releasing other than it has the new ZoomX tech?

Also to be clear, Vapor Max is another cushioning platform with a third one yet to be revealed?

edit: found the answer on the Pegasus 34, it will still have forefoot and heel zoom

The Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 34 marries Nike Zoom Air units in the forefront and heel to premium Cushlon ST foam. This synergistic approach provides soft cushioning balanced with a supportive, responsive underfoot feel. The Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 34’s updated Flymesh upper employs translucent monofilament yarn for lightweight containment and ventilation. The radiused heel tapers on the lateral side to promote a natural range of motion.

Last edited:
Also to be clear, Vapor Max is another cushioning platform with a third one yet to be revealed?

Yes. It's my understanding that the third new cushioning is a modified Lunar core that is going to be in the Zoom Fly.

I thought ZoomFly is just going to have regular 'ol lunarlon but with a carbon-nylon plate, at least that's how it was described and if it was the new cushioning then I'd figure they'd promote it more, no?

via: http://news.nike.com/news/nike-zoom-vaporfly-4-percent

The Nike Zoom Fly applies the principles of the game-changing Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite to a shoe that is fast enough for race day, yet durable enough for everyday training. Ultra-lightweight, soft and highly resilient Lunarlon foam creates a light, responsive underfoot experience, while an embedded full-length carbon infused nylon plate increases stiffness. A high abrasion rubber in the heel for durability completes the tooling. The upper is comprised of Nike Flymesh with midfoot dynamic Nike Flywire for lightweight containment.

Additionally, the Nike Zoom Fly’s 10mm offset is designed to minimize Achilles strain and the 33mm stack height ensures impact protection mile after mile.

These have caught my attention. Will be keeping an eye on these closer to release day.

Any news on additional colorways, particularly limited ones? I just returned my Vapormaxes and would love to pick up a pair of these in June....

Any news on additional colorways, particularly limited ones? I just returned my Vapormaxes and would love to pick up a pair of these in June....

Are you saying you returned your NikeLab Air VaporMax in black?

To be honest, this shoe has no intentions of being marketed like the VaporMax. The VaporFly 4% is a pure performance shoe with a built-in carbon fiber plate that has a set propelling motion. No one's going to want to wear these as casual shoes.

Last edited:
What's the price for zoom fly going to be? That's the one I'm going to get but if it's too expensive I'll go with the new zoom elites for now.

Are you saying you returned your NikeLab Air VaporMax in black?

To be honest, this shoe has no intentions of being marketed like the VaporMax. The VaporFly 4% is a pure performance shoe with a built-in carbon fiber plate that has a set propelling motion. No one's going to want to wear these as casual shoes.
No, I returned the platinum pair and kept the blacks. If there's a decent colorway of the Vaporfly, I would consider trying it out as an everyday casual/running shoe. Walking in them for the minute during which I was able to try them on felt great.

Back
Top Bottom