Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

Discussion in 'Nike' started by rogue5, Mar 7, 2017.

1. illustrayt

illustrayt

I’m planning to give my ZF3s their first run tomorrow... I’m a big fan of the ZF2s, so this will be interesting.

On a side note, ZF3s are $70 at the Clearance Stores. Plus, there’s a 30% off footwear promo going on currently, which’ll bring them down to $49 before taxes. I just copped my second Electric Green cw. :smile:

2. sole searchin

sole searchin

Man don’t wanna go to opposite side of town to check. $50 is a steal for a shoe that launched less than a month ago. You’re always on the come up at your clearance store.

3. lunar229

lunar229

From a running perspective, the ZF3 are the better shoe. The midsole had more cushion while still retaining that fast propulsion feeling. The upper also locks your foot in better. I know the weight increased but I haven’t noticed this difference.

ill4eva likes this.
  4. magic872

magic872

WTF! That's a deal. Wish I could find the greens in SoCal for that price.

5. rfx45

rfx45

6. magic872

magic872

Weird cause there is something about these that is causing me to like them.

7. lunar229

lunar229

The VF Next % by you isn’t excluded from codes. I had a 10% discount that brought them down to $252. I went with the Flyknit upper and waffle outsole. I’m thinking these will be my race shoes for the Chi Marathon.

The app allows you to stack coupons so I got a $30 shirt for free with the $30 off $150 offer.

8. rfx45

rfx45

i wish they offer more upper cw but if i had a 20% off coupon it would be very tempting

let us know how it turns out and how long the turn around is

9. lunar229

lunar229

The estimated date is 9/16 for the VF. This is my first Nike By You purchase. Is it common to receive them early or should I expect it to be close to the estimated date?

getz_racer likes this.
  10. rfx45

rfx45

some do come in early so id definitely keep an eye out since nike has a giant swoosh and nike tape on their boxes so make sure you know when it is coming

sometimes they also put a stick outside the box of the shoe size :lol:

11. illustrayt

illustrayt

Usually, they arrive before the estimated date. With the number of options for the VFNs, I'd presume you'll receive your design FAST.

lunar229 likes this.
  12. Swolemeats

Swolemeats formerly 40inchboost

Came up on a VVVNDS pair of Ekiden 4%'s on ebay for $80 shipped :pimp::pimp::pimp:

Seller didn't know what he had and put a zoom fly insole on top of the actual Ekiden insole, but then used the SKU from the ZF insole to list the shoes

threw em in the wash and now theyre good to go, these things are springy as **** !! wow
    IMG-4361.JPG

ayipapi, 1smartalec and illustrayt like this.
  13. rfx45

rfx45

great steal

these gravitys looks good
    [​IMG]

14. joechrome

joechrome

Seems to be far FASTER than the 6 weeks they originally state. I ordered mine around 2 AM last Tuesday (July 30th), and I just received the finishing touches email tonight. I expect them to ship later this week. Originally my "estimated" date was Sept. 10th.

15. juniorpenny

juniorpenny

Need help. I just ordered a pair of Vaporfly at https://www.dickssportinggoods.com. My correct zip code is 97230-3440 but DSG changed the zip code to 97230-9614 automatically. Is it ok for me to get this order? Thanks in advance.

16. veen11

veen11

You’re good. The last four digits just represent a specific delivery route. Nice to see another NTer from East Portland though!

juniorpenny likes this.
  17. Nije

Nije

Next% By You shipped

getz_racer likes this.
  18. Nije

Nije

34CA1595-9C32-436B-AC5F-985015D8CAE8.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Kdan C and indonar6 like this.
  19. Varrick

Varrick

It’s taken a little while since at most I use the next% two days per week, but I’ve finally gotten around to putting over 200 miles on the shoe. Still love the upper and think it is by far the best out of the three (I really hope we won’t see another flyknit upper on this shoe line in the future, but I’m not holding my breath since Nike seems reluctant to let flyknit die (and also flywire, but i’ll save my dislike of that tech for another time). As far as the outsole is concerned— traction is still good, but I never had any issues with that in previous models (my issue was with the fk upper when it came to stability). It does seem like the rubber compound may wear down slightly faster, though. However, I can’t say for sure if this is just optics or is actually the case since I don’t know the differences between the two (and if there actually are any other than the glossy appearance). Could also just be based on how the rubber comes into contact with the ground given the difference in geometry between this and prior versions. I will say though that at first I didn’t have the same reaction as some others with respect to the outsole – I didn’t really “feel” any extra foam in the forefoot and was wondering what % of that extra foam was allocated to making the forefoot wider vs. going directly underfoot. I also wondered whether people were just feeling like they had extra foam there because of the reduced stack height. However, my opinion here has completely changed at 200 miles – with the previous versions I could 100% feel the forefoot start to bottom out near the end of my long runs as I got closer to 200 miles. And it was really noticeable when I was walking around right after the run finished. But after today’s workout I didn’t have that sensation at all. Maybe it’s the extra zoomx. Maybe it’s a slight change in the zoomx compound. Either way, I’m a fan.

20. Vayporflie

Vayporflie

I definitely think that there has been a change in the zoomx compound. The zoomX from gen1 4% is definitely not the same zoomX in the Next%.

The density of the foam is noticeably different.

21. lunar229

lunar229

I just ran in a pair of the V1 VF this morning and I agree that there seems to be a difference in the feel. Not sure if this is a change in the ZoomX itself or just having more of it in the Next%.

22. rfx45

rfx45

supposedly, the "%" went up above 4% but not high enough to call it 5% and it in between and that is why its called Next% instead

thats how nikes marketing it and it looks like you guys feel the difference

23. Nije

Nije

Seems to me the ZoomX composition is unchanged whereas the encasement (paint) is more resistant to compression = firmer ride

24. Varrick

Varrick

Not sure why I forgot about this yesterday but here was an interesting bit from an interview Chris Cook did on the next% a while back. not and exact word for word transcription:

"It’s the same foam. A lot of the way a shoe feels will come down to the design of what they call the preform. So these shoes are made by a process called compression molding where you start with a piece of foam that is bigger than what the final shoe is going to be like and then under heat and pressure they squash it down into what is going to be the final shape. And then there’s a cooling step to kind of set it and then you take it out of the mold. And so you can imagine that depending on the design of that preform, if you make that bigger and then squash it down more you going to get something a little firmer. And so that’s something we definitely tinker with as we’re developing the shoe. like what’s the optimal preform shape design that’s going to give us the exact right feel for the shoe."

I remember having an aha moment when I first heard this since I thought variably (likely unintentional) in the preform might explain why I felt some variability in how both the turbo and vaporfly (comparing fk to fk version or v1 to v1) felt underfoot when walking (I could notice it a little when at the upper end of my easy run range, but as I start to pick up the pace I didn't really notice it anymore). I'm not expert though, so I could be way off base here. This could also have something to do with the difference in how the next% feels. Will be interested to see if the feel is more consistent across pairs of next%s.