Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

Hope y’all have a great weekend and, “may you have air in your lungs, life in your legs, have the wind at your back and wings on your feet." -Geoff Hollister

Last edited:
I just chatted with a Nike rep about the ZF FK availability in Canada. Even though it says "North America" availability in the press release, that actually means "Nike US". That apparently may apply to the VF as well.

How do you guys fuel during a long run? I've been using GU Gels for about 2 years now and im thinking about switching as we head into marathon season...I hear UCANN is good...don't know of anything else...

Any suggestions?

How do you guys fuel during a long run? I've been using GU Gels for about 2 years now and im thinking about switching as we head into marathon season...I hear UCANN is good...don't know of anything else...

Any suggestions?

I specifically only drink water during long runs. I used to take a couple of gels, one every 50-60mins. The book I base my training off of now, Healthy Intelligent Training by Keith Livingstone which outlines Arthur Lydiards training methodologies, states that the idea of the long run is to run for an extended period of time, putting your slow twitch muscles into a glycogen depleted state, which then causes you body to begin to recruit some of your fast twitch muscle fibers, teaching them to be used aerobically. Drinking sports drinks or taking gels reduces the training effect. Gels and sports drinks during competition, yes! Not during training though, unless you feel like you need to test them out, then do it on one or two runs. During marathon races though, I eat one GU gel right before, then one every 10km, and alternate water/Sports drink every other aid station. That last gel is sometimes hard to get down. I like the Jet Blackberry flavor.

Not taking gels or electrolytes during training is definitely not the norm, but it has worked really well for me. I do a 2.5hr long run every Sunday and my body has gotten to the point where I do not bonk at all during those runs, in fact I usually run fastest over the final 45mins.

In terms of alternates to GU, I used to use Powergel, the tangerine and berry blast flavors. Those had a consistency that was not as thick as the GU gels. For me, the hardest thing is getting them down. Nothing worse than having a mouth full of thick gel and trying to choke it down while running! Finding a flavor that you like and tastes good makes all the difference. I bought a couple of those GU gel flavor sample boxes and found the Jet Blackberry taste the best to me. I actually like the flavor.

I am intrigued by the Maurten products, but haven’t tried them yet.

I just got a small box of Science in Sport gels (SIS gels as they're commonly known). They're isotonic so they supposedly don't need to be mixed with water, which is the big draw for me. I can't stand running with a water belt/backpack/bottle, so hopefully these gels will do the trick and I can leave the water at home.

Interesting you guys are talking gels and stuff. I’ve found myself addicted to the CLIF Bloks and Jelly Belly Sport Beans. I generally get the non caffeinated choices for my runs and a low dose caffeinated option for my cycling sessions. Every energy chew/bean/etc I’ve tried caffeine taste awful.

Any other recommendations?

In terms of alternates to GU, I used to use Powergel, the tangerine and berry blast flavors. Those had a consistency that was not as thick as the GU gels. For me, the hardest thing is getting them down. Nothing worse than having a mouth full of thick gel and trying to choke it down while running! Finding a flavor that you like and tastes good makes all the difference. I bought a couple of those GU gel flavor sample boxes and found the Jet Blackberry taste the best to me. I actually like the flavor.

I am intrigued by the Maurten products, but haven’t tried them yet.

I highly reccomend the maurten gels. tasteless, easy to swallow whilst running. I usually drink a 320 before a long run too.

I was using huma chia seed gels but the maurten really are great.

Interesting you guys are talking gels and stuff. I’ve found myself addicted to the CLIF Bloks and Jelly Belly Sport Beans. I generally get the non caffeinated choices for my runs and a low dose caffeinated option for my cycling sessions. Every energy chew/bean/etc I’ve tried caffeine taste awful.

Any other recommendations?

Honey Stinger chews, "Lime-ade" flavor, has caffeine. Not all the flavors do, so pay attention. They taste great and are softer/easier to chew than any other chews on the market I've tried.

EDEB994C-041D-4195-A57A-32A509BFF4AE.jpeg

B5774BBA-C8FF-4A70-83A4-D3FA5DA4B2BF.jpeg

D6AD1EEA-0EE9-4B1E-8787-1EB9A35CA8BB.jpeg

AC8FA284-6D2B-4AED-AC3E-43AE085CA400.jpeg

Here’s a closer look at FlyMesh, FlyKnit and FlyPrint via IG @vaporflyworldwide

I pin mine to the waistband of my shorts and tuck them inside. Digging them out of pockets is too much of a pai . Grab one and rip.

Does anyone know a way to watch the Berlin Marathon on demand afterwards? I'm not really willing to stay up till after 3 AM local time to watch it, and it's not available on cable so I can't PVR it

How are y’all carrying your gels whilst racing or do you use what’s provided on course?

You could get a slim waist pack, but then again you’d have to unzip. REI and other outdoor recreation places should have some for the cheap if you aren’t big on name brands.

I specifically only drink water during long runs. I used to take a couple of gels, one every 50-60mins. The book I base my training off of now, Healthy Intelligent Training by Keith Livingstone which outlines Arthur Lydiards training methodologies, states that the idea of the long run is to run for an extended period of time, putting your slow twitch muscles into a glycogen depleted state, which then causes you body to begin to recruit some of your fast twitch muscle fibers, teaching them to be used aerobically. Drinking sports drinks or taking gels reduces the training effect. Gels and sports drinks during competition, yes! Not during training though, unless you feel like you need to test them out, then do it on one or two runs. During marathon races though, I eat one GU gel right before, then one every 10km, and alternate water/Sports drink every other aid station. That last gel is sometimes hard to get down. I like the Jet Blackberry flavor.

Not taking gels or electrolytes during training is definitely not the norm, but it has worked really well for me. I do a 2.5hr long run every Sunday and my body has gotten to the point where I do not bonk at all during those runs, in fact I usually run fastest over the final 45mins.
I'm pushing myself to that point...I generally only take gels if I'm going to do more then 8 miles...anything less is just pedolyte every 2 miles...

I can stomach the GU gels but I'm very curious about elite runners and how they fuel...

It's generally the one thing they never reveal...

DAE18024-5141-4750-B08A-023AFEAC6050.jpeg

Kipchoge’s Vaporfly FlyKnit Elite for the Berlin Marathon via IG @protosofthegram

I’m geeked at the thickness of the forefoot midsole
This year I'm not messing around...

I get invited to purchase them and I don't care the cost..

I'm in

Anyone experiencing clicking/popping sounds from their ZF FK? Went on an 18mi run and at around mile 16 the sounds would occur if enough pressure was put on the heel. I was moving at low 6min miles for the run, but since the noise happened much later on, I doubt pace is a big contributor rather than just time on feet maybe? Note that I'm a midfoot striker though so I only heard the noise on occasion... left shoe only had the noise issue. Doesn't bug me as I would hope there's no performance decrease in the shoe.

Back
Top Bottom