Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

^ ^ ^
the other cw but where the cw?
1624636627596.png

1624636638203.png

There are three, right? I think there’s a Black/Black/Blue cw, but, honestly, I only care about the Red cw lol

What "race" shoe would you recommend for a non-elite runner like myself doing a 5K and 10K next month?

My training pace is generally 7:30–8:00/mi (last year at this time it was 10:30–11:00!) but I can push 7:00/mi for short speed workouts if the conditions are right.
I've been running in the Pegasus 36, Pegasus 37 Shield, and Pegasus 37 and have really enjoyed all three shoes (especially the 36)

I've had my eye on:

Vaporfly
—Look rad but are they overkill for someone like myself?
—Too much of a departure from the Pegs in terms of stability/cushioning?

Tempo
—Seems like these got mixed reviews?
—Do they really offer that much more of a performance benefit from the Pegasus?

Pegasus 38
—Stick with a tried and true trainer for my 5K/10K?
—Latest model worth paying retail price now over just going with a new color of the now-on-sale 37?

I'm a Nike guy but also have a soft spot in my heart for Asics thanks to the GT2050 I trained in for XC my senior year of high school... Metaracer? Magic Speed?

Considering I ran last year's 10K in an hour and seven minutes, I'll be flying through this year's 10K by comparison and setting a PR regardless of what I'm wearing, but I do want to treat myself to a nice new "race" shoe for sticking with this running thing for the last 14–15 months.

Normally I'm a basketball player, but COVID put me in a tough place with regard to mental/emotional health and feeling like I really needed to step up my physical health as a result, so I drew from the one year I did XC/TF in high school and have been walking/running nearly every day since April of last year. I now find myself enjoying my new hobby/habit — and as a result I find myself eying the latest Vaporflys and Pegasus models instead of KDs and Kobes!

Thanks for any advice from any of you more seasoned runners!

My order from Notre just shipped. Ordered a pair of invincibles.

For those wondering who ordered during the sale.

Nice! I’m still waiting on my Tempos to be shipped. I placed the order on 6/17.

Now that the official Red Gyakusou VFN images have emerged, here’s my primary plan:

26923B89-94D6-4E5A-905D-3C5E1B1521D2.jpeg

If I can get a double, one of these will be the move:

Another VaporStreet
11F73BBF-E1A1-4297-A7B1-7ED8D65B881A.jpeg

or the Gyakusou Free Flyknit 3.0
82625F65-F74C-495A-945C-FC36B1EF9D13.jpeg

Last edited:
What "race" shoe would you recommend for a non-elite runner like myself doing a 5K and 10K next month?

My training pace is generally 7:30–8:00/mi (last year at this time it was 10:30–11:00!) but I can push 7:00/mi for short speed workouts if the conditions are right.
I've been running in the Pegasus 36, Pegasus 37 Shield, and Pegasus 37 and have really enjoyed all three shoes (especially the 36)

I've had my eye on:

Vaporfly

Tempo

Pegasus 38
—Latest model worth paying retail price now over just going with a new color of the now-on-sale 37?

I'm a Nike guy but also have a soft spot in my heart for Asics thanks to the GT2050 I trained in for XC my senior year of high school... Metaracer? Magic Speed?

Considering I ran last year's 10K in an hour and seven minutes, I'll be flying through this year's 10K by comparison and setting a PR regardless of what I'm wearing, but I do want to treat myself to a nice new "race" shoe for sticking with this running thing for the last 14–15 months.

Normally I'm a basketball player, but COVID put me in a tough place with regard to mental/emotional health and feeling like I really needed to step up my physical health as a result, so I drew from the one year I did XC/TF in high school and have been walking/running nearly every day since April of last year. I now find myself enjoying my new hobby/habit — and as a result I find myself eying the latest Vaporflys and Pegasus models instead of KDs and Kobes!

Vaporfly

I've had my eye on:

Vaporfly

Tempo

Pegasus 38

Vaporfly. It's not going to be as stable as the Peg or Tempo, but that shouldn't matter as much for shorter races, and it's more conducive to going faster at every skill and fitness level.

I've had my eye on:

Vaporfly

Tempo

Pegasus 38

Okay, one more to add to the mix — what about the Zoom Fly 3? Would that be a decent performance upgrade from the Pegasus 37/38, or is the idea of a “speedier” shoe for someone at my pace unnecessary?

The Zoom Fly 3 is an excellent option if you don’t want to spend a lot of funds for a VaporFly model. It looks to have a similar stack with the Peg37/38. However, instead of forefoot Zoom Air, it has a carbon fiber plate. It might be slightly heavier than a Peg37/38, but the ride, IMO, feels faster and more responsive.

If you want to look at other brands other than Nike and ASICS, check out Saucony’s Endorphin Speed and Pro. The first iteration of both are on sale for a good price on Saucony’s website.

E Speed = Zoom Fly 3
These are the “Trainer” models which can be also worn for races. The difference is that Speed has a nylon plate with pebax foam, while the ZF3 had a carbon fiber plate paired with React.

Pro = VaporFly:
The “Racing” counterpart of the line. Both of these have pebax foams and carbon fiber plates.

The Zoom Fly 3 is an excellent option if you don’t want to spend a lot of funds for a VaporFly model. It looks to have a similar stack with the Peg37/38. However, instead of forefoot Zoom Air, it has a carbon fiber plate. It might be slightly heavier than a Peg37/38, but the ride, IMO, feels faster and more responsive.

If you want to look at other brands other than Nike and ASICS, check out Saucony’s Endorphin Speed and Pro. The first iteration of both are on sale for a good price on Saucony’s website.

E Speed = Zoom Fly 3
These are the “Trainer” models which can be also worn for races. The difference is that Speed has a nylon plate with pebax foam, while the ZF3 had a carbon fiber plate paired with React.

Pro = VaporFly:
The “Racing” counterpart of the line. Both of these have pebax foams and carbon fiber plates.

Thanks! This is helpful context.

A friend of mine who is a more experienced runner also recently recommended the Endorphin Speed. I’ll give those a serious look as well.

Back
Top Bottom