NikeTalk New Era Fitted Cap Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

I'll preorder a hat now even if I have to wait another 9-10 months for the final product

Just sayin

I'm in on the next hat release - fitted or SnapBack. Let me know what we need to do, especially if it's for charity. Looking forward to it

Reactions: fx2
In
I think the best idea is to split these up into tiers.

1st tier: 10 hats ebay auctioned for charity -- This allows "rich" NTers to go ham and guarantee themselves a hat if they want one. This also guarantees good return on the donations to charity.

2nd tier: 20 hats for Long standing members -- If your join date is over 10 years old you can donate to charity ($10? $20? $50?) to qualify to win from this pool. One entry per person. Randomly select from the pool and there's your 20 winners.

3rd tier: 20 hats free for all. -- Donate $5 to charity for your shot at buying one of these hats. No max on number of entries and everyone gets a shot. Randomly select the winners and setup a private purchase via the distributor of your choosing.

4th tier: 10 hat giveway through whatever contest Meth wants to do on the site where the winners are judged or voted on or whatever and selected.

**No Multiple Winners**

This allows pretty much everyone on the site to have a shot somehow at getting one. Logistically I know this is a lot of work but I think this covers all the bases on making everyone happy . You would have to fact check the winners of the long standing members raffle but that's only 20 people. I feel like the money raised would more than cover the production cost + allow for a good donation to charity.

Not a bad idea..Either way, I wouldnt mind donating and waiting for a hat later on down the line.

I'll preorder a hat now even if I have to wait another 9-10 months for the final product

Just sayin

i dont see a downside to droppin $40 on a guaranteed fitted and just forget about it till you're pleasantly surprised when it arrives.

i do that all da time waiting on Exclusive pro sports with my custom Jerseys they usually take a entire football season :x :lol:

i was fortunate to get both fitteds but my head grew or w.e. . Hoping ne store can make it larger but snapbacks are no good. im 3/4 so that's cutting it close.

We actually wanted to make those as part of the FIRST release back in 2010, but the material wasn't available.  It took M&N to find us red cotton twill.  

I hope we can get back to that and make the red brim M&N fitted and snapback caps sometime next year.  If not, perhaps another manufacturer can fill the void. 
Meth would be nuts to do a preorder.

Y'all know most of these dudes would be PMing him hours later asking "you ship yet"?

Not too mention did you guys get confirmation email posts.
If you guys knew what Cap City actually went through on these last hats, I think you'd have more respect for just how miserable this has become.

Thankfully, Cap City still wanted to help in some capacity, even if they could no longer accept responsibility for selling the hats, so their owner graciously helped us get these manufactured.

So, even though these will not be sold on ecapcity.com, we could not have made them without their help.  

This one will be a real team effort.  Cap City helped us produce them.  Instyleshoes will help us distribute them. 
Would be great if NT still had the big cartel store, the just release em on there.
Yeah, that was being run by Rajah and Steez.  These days, I'd rather work with an existing company than try and deal with all the tax collection and reporting, etc. that goes into running an online storefront.  

Thanks to ISS, the issue isn't that we lack an online storefront - it's that doing a "first come, first served" launch for 60 hats on that online storefront wouldn't work very well.  We don't want to deal with the site crashes, bots, re-sellers, and other nonsense.  
I like the idea of a raffle. $10, 15 or 20 entry which if you win is deducted from the total cost of your purchase, like a deposit. For the people who lose the entry should go to a charity so write it off on your taxes or just chalk it up to helping the less fortunate.

@Methodical Management thoughts on this? Kind of two birds with one stone. Giving to charity and making it fair for everyone to purchase the hat.

i think a raffle violates some federal laws, think i read that somewhere
but then again, the nike air mag was a raffle of sorts too with proceeds going to charity
Yeah, there are some laws about online raffle but if it is for charity the state and fed will let it slide with certain percentage going to charity e.g. CA is 90% of proceeds.
A raffle sounds like a good way to give everyone a fair statistical chance, but we don't want to "slide by."  We need everything to be above board and done by the book.  

If you want to do a charity raffle, there's a LOT that goes into that.  

http://charitylawyerblog.com/2009/10/07/charity-raffles-tread-carefully/

As you can see, there are a quite a few reporting obligations there, for us and for the charity. 

Given the quantities involved, we might be able to hold a drawing at NO cost for qualifying community members (e.g. post in this thread if you're interested and you've been a member for more than a month), where the winners are sent an invoice via email for one hat plus shipping.  

That way, you get a random chance, we're only selling to NT members, and we're not running afoul of any gambling laws.  

There is still an issue of people entering the drawing as many times as they can just to re-sell, so we might want to do something like bundle the hat with a t-shirt to raise the purchase price and diminish the resell incentive. 

It's an option that we've considered and will give some thought to. 
I think the best idea is to split these up into tiers.

1st tier: 10 hats ebay auctioned for charity -- This allows "rich" NTers to go ham and guarantee themselves a hat if they want one. This also guarantees good return on the donations to charity.

2nd tier: 20 hats for Long standing members -- If your join date is over 10 years old you can donate to charity ($10? $20? $50?) to qualify to win from this pool. One entry per person. Randomly select from the pool and there's your 20 winners.

3rd tier: 20 hats free for all. -- Donate $5 to charity for your shot at buying one of these hats. No max on number of entries and everyone gets a shot. Randomly select the winners and setup a private purchase via the distributor of your choosing.

4th tier: 10 hat giveway through whatever contest Meth wants to do on the site where the winners are judged or voted on or whatever and selected.

**No Multiple Winners**

This allows pretty much everyone on the site to have a shot somehow at getting one. Logistically I know this is a lot of work but I think this covers all the bases on making everyone happy . You would have to fact check the winners of the long standing members raffle but that's only 20 people. I feel like the money raised would more than cover the production cost + allow for a good donation to charity.
We actually have been considering the idea of giving people multiple options to get their hands on a hat, be it eBay, a random draw, or a merit-based giveaway.

Again, we don't want this to be overly complicated for our partners out of respect for their time.  This isn't something that will be generating sales or revenue for their business, it's something we're doing primarily because we wanted to make people happy and raise a little money for charity while we're at it. 

@Methodical Management  make no mistake, your efforts are great, and appreciated on that alone, but from my POV it's just like any other limited shoe release that's a headache to get. It's fine, I can do without it and look forward to any shirts releasing. 
I get that more people want the hats than there are hats available, but understand that the broader release we had planned with M&N was delayed indefinitely and this was a way to get SOMETHING to those who wanted them as directly as possible.  

It's easy to say "make more" if you're not paying the $15 a hat to have them made and you aren't the one who will have to ship out however many orders and deal with the associated customer service headaches. 

I get that people think "more hats is just more money", and we should therefore want to sell as many as we possibly can, but you have to understand that our time is valuable, too, and there are a lot of other things we need to be doing.  Hats are not our full time job.  They're not paying the bills.  They're not keeping the site online.  The website itself must take precedence.  The hats should be something to enhance the community experience for those who are interested in them, they shouldn't be something that detracts from the experience.  

We can't just take a break from every other responsibility to go do hat stuff for a couple of weeks.  NikeTalk is 24/7/365.  

We're not creating artificial scarcity for the sake of generating hype.  We're managing our risk, costs, and time loss to develop a niche product for some of our most dedicated fellow community members.  

We sold as many as we reasonably could given the constraints we faced last time, and, from what I've seen in the threads, most of those who wanted one received one.  We lost the ability to sell these through ecapcity.com due to all the theft and entitled nonsense that went on, but we didn't want to give up.  The M&N option would've been great, but it really depended on their cooperation.  Cap City didn't want to sell them, but they offered to help us get them made.  We couldn't count on a store's backing, so the quantity had to be something that was manageable for our staff or for one of our partners.  

Six dozen were made.  I wrote the check without hesitation and won't ask for one penny back.  

Now, if you're going to tell me that I shouldn't have bothered unless I were willing to purchase, warehouse, and service orders for 500 baseball hats, I'd like to think you're in the minority on that.  
Your snark is always appreciated 
eyes.gif
Likewise.  

It seems like the same questions are getting answered over and over in here.
Maybe we should just be patient and wait on Meth to drop some more info, when he gets it, and its closer to launch.

If you have a question, go back about 20 pages and it will have been answered somewhere in there.

Last edited:
Sounds like the key is eliminating the resale market.
I like the idea of bundling to avoid that. If resale value is $100, bundle $40 hat, $25 shirt, $25 charitable donation with Sig shield, and $10 shipping.
You may stand to lose money if you try to buy with the sole intentions of flipping.

Why not just cut the middle man (MN. Etc) and go directly to the People in China who can make them base off a design ? Preorder to get the money to get them made?

Last edited:
Why not just cut the middle man (MN. Etc) and go directly to the People in China who can make them base off a design ? Preorder to get the money to get them made?

People want quality

Not some cheap flimsy garbage

Good luck fellas.

I'm in for the next go around if we get the red brim.

Salute to Meth for doing this and spending his own money.

Let's say they can made by a local Asian brand, made and shipped from outside the U.S., would guys still be as interested?

Quality is pretty on-point, and they are a pretty reputable brand here too (they sell here for around $30 for snaps). These guys ship worldwide too. Maybe worth a look/call? @Methodical Management  

Last edited:
Will they have the material that meth is looking for doe?

[thread="614360"]View media item 2260713

Red brim is just too hot :nthat:
[/thread]

We actually wanted to make those as part of the FIRST release back in 2010, but the material wasn't available.  It took M&N to find us red cotton twill.  

I hope we can get back to that and make the red brim M&N fitted and snapback caps sometime next year.  If not, perhaps another manufacturer can fill the void. 

That breaks my heart. |I

I need that two tone red brim one. :nthat:

Last edited:
I really think the majority of members could sit tight with pre-ordering, the money is there and we patiently wait for the product, this way everyone that wants will get. Random releases and limited items I'm sure we can all do without, deal with that all year trying to buy the average decent sneaker :smh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom