Votes: 4 14.3%
  • None!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • O.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IMG_20180101_132601.jpg

Must be something about this year already, just completed vanishing road on dark side.
:pimp:
Looking back, I would rank this #2 overall in hardest moon

Now I see why you have big problems with the 3D Mario games outside of the two Galaxies and 3D World...........you never grew up with 3D Mario games like the 90% of the people that grew up playing 3D Mario.

When I think about 3D Mario, I think about "free movement" and "multiple ways to move" to accomplish a platforming objective. Sure most of that is related to sandbox 3D Mario games like 64, Sunshine and now Odyssey. But even a linear 3D Mario game like Galaxy 1 and 2, they also had "free movement" and "multiple movesets" as well..........and I felt the Super Mario Galaxy games were the ones that blending the "platforming elements" and the "free movement 3D elements" together perfectly, not "stripped down movement" for ****ing level design.
i totally understand and i think that nintendo can accomplish both BUT i feel like they were the closest in galaxy and 3d world to blending both and making a mario game feel like a mario game. i feel like with odyssey, while it had a superior moveset, the lack of traditional powerups and the lack of (IMHO) great level design, great aesthetics but also traditional aesthetics, enemies and music native to mario games threw ppl like myself off. it turned us off.

odyssey felt forced, rushed and bare bones and i'm not completely sure if its because its more of a pseudo sandbox game.

its like one step forward and a few steps back. mario and cappy IMHO should stay as they are or nintendo can expand upon that moveset. its definitely the best moveset mario has had IMO. that and being able to dress mario up via costumes we gain by unlocked things was really cool and should stay. collecting 999 of anything for 100% completion should not IMO.

i think that using free movement to accomplish goals can stay and can be used in a more linear game. i really do. if anybody can push the envelope i think nintendo can.

This is why I consider 3D World the ultimate downgrade or regression of the 3D Mario formula, they removed some "foundational" Mario 3D movesets in 3D World that made up the foundation of all 3D Mario game jump moves, the triple jump in particular was totally removed from 3D World, which was a big blasphemous...........even the 2D New Super Mario Bros. had the triple jump. This is a 3D Mario game, Mario triple jumps...........this is not 1991.

That's my big issue.........I don't play 3D Super Mario games like we are playing a 1991 2D Mario game. If I wanted to play a 2D Mario game, I'll pop in my SNES (in this case, SNES Classic) and play Super Mario World or my NES (Classic) and play Super Mario Bros. 3.
i think thats where a couple of us have strong differences. the outlook of what we expect out of super mario and nintendo.

the way i look at it is like this:

a mario game.

the way a lot of ppl nowadays look at it is like this:

a 2d mario game. a 3d mario game. a paper mario game.

for a lot of us that are older there shouldn't be a difference. not that you guys don't think that a good mario game is a good mario game but its like some of you look at whether or not its in 2d or 3d and have opinions on what the game should be like once you know what nintendo is working on. the way i see it is that a mario game should play like a mario game. there are certain things i look forward to:

great gameplay
great music
great level design that makes us think and that teases us in the beginning and starts to amaze us towards the middle and end.
a clear objective
great enemy design/charm and traditional enemies
traditional powerups
(and at this point) a robust post game that keeps us playing that continues to push the envelope.

if a mario game doesn't accomplish ALL of the above then IMO its not a great mario game. odyssey for ME didn't deliver a couple of things on the list.

when 64 dropped it wasn't considered a good 3d mario game. it was considered a great mario game. smw and smb3 were also great mario games. ppl played them all. there wasn't a division.

the reason certain movesets don't work in various games is because they can be game breaking. imagine using the cape feather in smb3. it would completely break the game moreso than it already is by the tanooki suit. nintendo does everything for a specific reason whether it be enemy placement in levels to certain blocks/platforms etc.

having galaxy or odysseys moveset in 3d world would break it. having the cat suit in odyssey would break it.

i understand how it can and does feel like a step back. i would argue that odyssey's lack of powerups and the lack of a lot of traditional mario enemies and the lack of traditional aesthetics, great music thats memorable, great level design and memorable levels and a great post game are waaaay more of a step back, though.

i think with that considered, thats the main reason ppl are being vocal about a return to tradition.

3D World had some good "endgame levels" (with Champion's Road as the best in the history of the franchise), but they watered down the experienced of 3D Mario so much to satisfy the "I don't like 3D Mario fans" that hated the Super Mario 64 thru Galaxy 2 style of play........that there is no way I would rank 3D World ever at the top of any Top 3D Super Mario list OR even at the top of any Top Super Mario list at all.

The game felt so ****ing watered-down most of the time that IT FELT LIKE THEY WEREN'T EVEN TRYING TO MAKE A GOOD 3D MARIO GAME (which hell, they still ended up creating Champion's Road out of it..........so that says something about the skill of Nintendo's game developers).

With that rant out of the way...............Yes, Super Mario Maker is a great game. It is great because it allows the player to determine how THEY WANT TO ENJOY A MARIO GAME, whether by selecting what custom level they want to play OR by creating their own custom level. It is literally the type of game where you decide how to enjoy it, and it is one of the best game ideas Nintendo came out with for the Wii-U back in 2015 for the 30th anniversary of Mario.
see, i have it as the complete opposite. as a kid, if i could imagine what mario 3 would play like if it were in 3d it would be 3d world. when i see ppl on the net talk about hating 3d world and their reasons why it really comes off as if they don't like mario games at all. to me 3d world has almost all of what makes a mario game a mario game.

champions road is a level intended on having the player execute everything they learned from all of the levels before it in 3d world so again its hard for me to understand how you wouldn't like the game but would like champions road.

i also feel like 3d world had far superior levels, with charm, than odyssey. easily. any of the beat block levels, the block (glum block?) in the lava level, the ghost houses, etc. all are better than anything in odyssey. the music was better and the last boss fight was cooler. post game in odyssey was a joke to me. calling levels kingdoms when they weren't even fleshed out levels tbh made me feel like odyssey was a sham.

lastly, smm is the GOAT game on the wiiu. i cannot emphasize enough, even with the limited tileset and music how great this game is for anyone that ever wanted to make a sequel to any of the older games.
i know i maximized the hell out of what i could do (based off of what i felt nintendo would have done in that era) in that game. if you don't own a wiiu i would buy one just for that game alone. period.

i made this, went a little overboard lol but i think its pretty dope:

this one kinda showcases what ppl can do in mario maker too:

mario maker >>>>

Mario Maker should've been the Day 1 launch title for Wii-U.........no disagreement.

There would've been more Day 1/launch year Wii-U sales if Nintendo just released Mario Maker with the Wii-U's launch year and said, "LOOK, YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN MARIO LEVELS GUYS.........EVERYTHING YOU WOULD'VE IMAGINED OR WISHED FOR BACK AS A KID, YOU CAN FINALLY MAKE IT TRUE WITH THIS GAME."

With Mario Maker, Nintendo practically gave us the entire game developing tool kit for 2D Mario games and allowed us to finally fulfilled everything we wanted from our childhood Mario games.
That is a god damn system seller right there PERIOD

That would've sold more Wii-Us in the launch year, NOT ****ing Nintendo Land :smh:

I got this exam to take in April. If Nintendo doesn't give me a good reason not to, I'm hunting for a U after I hopefully pass

I got this exam to take in April. If Nintendo doesn't give me a good reason not to, I'm hunting for a U after I hopefully pass

Wii-Us can be found cheap, bruh. If a homie can find one for $50 on a FB marketplace listing, you'll get one at a good price.

i totally understand and i think that nintendo can accomplish both BUT i feel like they were the closest in galaxy and 3d world to blending both and making a mario game feel like a mario game. i feel like with odyssey, while it had a superior moveset, the lack of traditional powerups and the lack of (IMHO) great level design, great aesthetics but also traditional aesthetics, enemies and music native to mario games threw ppl like myself off. it turned us off.

odyssey felt forced, rushed and bare bones and i'm not completely sure if its because its more of a pseudo sandbox game.

its like one step forward and a few steps back. mario and cappy IMHO should stay as they are or nintendo can expand upon that moveset. its definitely the best moveset mario has had IMO. that and being able to dress mario up via costumes we gain by unlocked things was really cool and should stay. collecting 999 of anything for 100% completion should not IMO.

i think that using free movement to accomplish goals can stay and can be used in a more linear game. i really do. if anybody can push the envelope i think nintendo can.

i think thats where a couple of us have strong differences. the outlook of what we expect out of super mario and nintendo.

the way i look at it is like this:

a mario game.

the way a lot of ppl nowadays look at it is like this:

a 2d mario game. a 3d mario game. a paper mario game.

for a lot of us that are older there shouldn't be a difference. not that you guys don't think that a good mario game is a good mario game but its like some of you look at whether or not its in 2d or 3d and have opinions on what the game should be like once you know what nintendo is working on. the way i see it is that a mario game should play like a mario game. there are certain things i look forward to:

great gameplay
great music
great level design that makes us think and that teases us in the beginning and starts to amaze us towards the middle and end.
a clear objective
great enemy design/charm and traditional enemies
traditional powerups
(and at this point) a robust post game that keeps us playing that continues to push the envelope.

if a mario game doesn't accomplish ALL of the above then IMO its not a great mario game. odyssey for ME didn't deliver a couple of things on the list.

when 64 dropped it wasn't considered a good 3d mario game. it was considered a great mario game. smw and smb3 were also great mario games. ppl played them all. there wasn't a division.

the reason certain movesets don't work in various games is because they can be game breaking. imagine using the cape feather in smb3. it would completely break the game moreso than it already is by the tanooki suit. nintendo does everything for a specific reason whether it be enemy placement in levels to certain blocks/platforms etc.

having galaxy or odysseys moveset in 3d world would break it. having the cat suit in odyssey would break it.

i understand how it can and does feel like a step back. i would argue that odyssey's lack of powerups and the lack of a lot of traditional mario enemies and the lack of traditional aesthetics, great music thats memorable, great level design and memorable levels and a great post game are waaaay more of a step back, though.

i think with that considered, thats the main reason ppl are being vocal about a return to tradition.

see, i have it as the complete opposite. as a kid, if i could imagine what mario 3 would play like if it were in 3d it would be 3d world. when i see ppl on the net talk about hating 3d world and their reasons why it really comes off as if they don't like mario games at all. to me 3d world has almost all of what makes a mario game a mario game.

champions road is a level intended on having the player execute everything they learned from all of the levels before it in 3d world so again its hard for me to understand how you wouldn't like the game but would like champions road.

i also feel like 3d world had far superior levels, with charm, than odyssey. easily. any of the beat block levels, the block (glum block?) in the lava level, the ghost houses, etc. all are better than anything in odyssey. the music was better and the last boss fight was cooler. post game in odyssey was a joke to me. calling levels kingdoms when they weren't even fleshed out levels tbh made me feel like odyssey was a sham.

lastly, smm is the GOAT game on the wiiu. i cannot emphasize enough, even with the limited tileset and music how great this game is for anyone that ever wanted to make a sequel to any of the older games.
i know i maximized the hell out of what i could do (based off of what i felt nintendo would have done in that era) in that game. if you don't own a wiiu i would buy one just for that game alone. period.

i made this, went a little overboard lol but i think its pretty dope:

this one kinda showcases what ppl can do in mario maker too:

mario maker >>>>

Damn you wrote an essay :lol:

lol the post i quoted was pretty long though.
i don't even think i articulated everything properly haha. kinda got lost in what i wanted to say.

That being said debso debso , I too am interested in your take about why it was too early to transition from 2D to 3D.

In all honesty, I read a lot of gaming magazines from childhood to adulthood (Nintendo Power subscriber myself until they ended the magazine :frown: ) AND there were a lot of gaming people besides yourself saying that there was still so much left potential to be fulfilled for 2D gaming during the mid-90s. Even to this day, people are saying that 2D gaming still has a place in today's gaming environment.........which we've seen recently with Cuphead.

I actually agree to you to an extent on that one, considering Super Mario RPG actually showed there was still something left in 2D gaming (even though the graphics were slightly pushing 3D at that point too).
well at the time, articles in magazines such as gameplayers were mentioning polygon count and all that. gamepro was basically ****ting on 2d games not named dkc. everything felt more of the same to them. i don't remember what gamefan was saying...

SOME magazines and ppl at the time were happy with nintendo and sega maximizing what could be done on the snes and genesis but it seemed like the move was towards 3d everything no matter how awful it looked.
for myself personally i feel like the first real turn was probably vf2, fighters megamix, mario 64...something like that.

for a lot of ppl it was vf1...tekken and tobal did well. battle arena toshinden...those games were at the forefront IMO. i think the full turn had to be tekken 2, the psx and ffVII. its kind of hard because at the time so many good games dropped back to back to back, 2d and 3d. once ffVII dropped i feel like nobody looked back. it was a big *** deal at the time and it exceeded expectations.

nintendo even through in an n64 in dkc3 as an easter egg.

lemme go back for a sec. i clearly remember 3d being a thing on platforms ppl didn't really buy for financial reasons or because they just weren't marketed properly/lacked games ppl wanted. 3do, jaguar, saturn were are examples of that. everyone knew what they were but few knew anyone that had them. again, tekken 2 dropping on the psx was a big deal at the time because of how dope it looked and played for a home console. at least in the arcades we still were playing st, xmen children of the atom, xmen vs sf, mvsf, mvc, third strike, mvc2 in that order since at the time you couldn't find those on a home system unless you had bread and knew how to import -until the dreamcast dropped.

so tldr; home consoles dropped 2d as the forefront. 3d was the move for all when psx dropped with crash, tekken, tobal, battle arena, etc. and officially when tekken 2, ffVII, etc. dropped IMHO.
arcades, 2d was still the move although games like vf2, 3 and tekken 2 and 3 were heavily played.

honestly this is an easier convo via video lol.

*edit*
forgot to mention bushido blade somewhere and destruction derby, gran turismo, etc.. basically psx was the move. so many decent games. the first wwf on there...brave fencer musashi, parasite eve. thats a little later from the initial 3d push tho and those games were the start of 3d games looking decent IMHO. the first batch were awful. **** like balls and 32x games and what not. yikes.

also forgot to mention rival schools. so many dope memories with that game. and jet set radio (again these are much later from the initial 3d wave)

my generation played through these so you guys didn't have to! lol. never forget!!

32X_Virtua_Fighter.png

406544-wwf-war-zone-playstation-screenshot-shawn-michaels-hitting.png

ballz-3d-02.png

not gonna front like we didn't have gems tho. real **** feel like playing wwf war zone right now lol.

lol the post i quoted was pretty long though.
i don't even think i articulated everything properly haha. kinda got lost in what i wanted to say.

I think this is where me and you share common ground LOL...........once I get into a rant or some passionate subject, more stuff just pops out from me that makes it way to my keyboard that brain doesn't have time to filter out heh.

But I got the jist of your previous post, we both just grew up differently in how we perceive the Mario franchise AND all of gaming as a whole.

As for your 2D/3D subject, it's been awhile since someone brought up a Virtua Fighter game in here LOL. Only time I see Virtua Fighter games brought up is either in the YouTube comments section of some "Let's Play" of some random fighter game OR random conversations between me and my buddies when talking about old games from our childhood. VF2 was consistently a house party favorite whenever we were at another person's house.......Street Fighter and Tekken as well (Eddy Gordo "button smash hacks" FTW lol).

my generation played through these so you guys didn't have to! lol. never forget!!

32X_Virtua_Fighter.png

ballz-3d-02.png

not gonna front like we didn't have gems tho. real **** feel like playing wwf war zone right now lol.

But man, I completely forgot how unbearable it was looking at the first VF game.....that picture is bringing back childhood cringe LOL. I can't believe a buddy of mine from back in 4th grade actually owned that game..........and yes, that **** was also a party favorite back in the day on my friend's Saturn. Never can look at it the same way again after the first Tekken was released.

Last edited:

32X_Virtua_Fighter.png

ballz-3d-02.png

Is that WWF War Zone? Or attitude? All the games on that engine were so sad. AKI was the GOAT

I'm excited to play Mario Maker soon. I felt that I was still missing a certain game even though I bought all the popular ones. Playing Splatoon online all the time can get tedious so I hope this provides some good long term play value

After 15 attempts in a span of 2 months since I've unlocked this very level............I've finally beaten Culmina Crater aka Darker Side of the Moon JUST NOW, and this is during my 30 minute break at work too :emoji_scream:

BTW, split joy con control was the MVP for me succeeding at Darker Side of the Moon. Apparently I have greater control of precision jumping when I finally split the joy cons from the joy con grip at Darker Side of the Moon than when I was doing this level with either a pro controller, the combined joy con grip and/or handheld.

26173393_10212438350047529_6888718879897252569_o.jpg

Last edited:
7 outta 10 titles on Amazon’s top 10 selling games of 2017 list are Nintendo

That **** is CRAZY

I mean........Nintendo did sell 10 million Switch consoles in under 11 months, so there had to be a reason behind it.

And apparently according to Amazon, there are 7 reasons why.

Ok, exaggerating the 7 reasons part.......but literally outside of the Wii-U port of BOTW and the 2 Pokemon Ultra remakes of Sun & Moon, literally 5 of those Nintendo sellers are Switch titles.

After 15 attempts in a span of 2 months since I've unlocked this very level............I've finally beaten Culmina Crater aka Darker Side of the Moon JUST NOW, and this is during my 30 minute break at work too :emoji_scream:

BTW, split joy con control was the MVP for me succeeding at Darker Side of the Moon. Apparently I have greater control of precision jumping when I finally split the joy cons from the joy con grip at Darker Side of the Moon than when I was doing this level with either a pro controller, the combined joy con grip and/or handheld.

26173393_10212438350047529_6888718879897252569_o.jpg

I beat it a couple hours before you posted, I crashed and fell asleep though. Pics later, I did it as Chef Mario.

Cookin' Work

Back
Top Bottom