• Both!

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • None!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • O.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Great idea, poor conception. It's not really portable and I'm not so sure about the ergonomics.

The clamshell design grabs everyone in the market as the 180 million 3DS + DS shows. From kids to men and women, This on the other hand looks like a fisher price toy.

A clamshell 3DS at $130 with MH4 and XY would have sold alot. The holidays will be a litmus test for it and then they'll probably bring a clamshell one later on.

Great idea, poor conception. It's not really portable and I'm not so sure about the ergonomics.

The clamshell design grabs everyone in the market as the 180 million 3DS + DS shows. From kids to men and women, This on the other hand looks like a fisher price toy.

A clamshell 3DS at $130 with MH4 and XY would have sold alot. The holidays will be a litmus test for it and then they'll probably bring a clamshell one later on.
its probably the size of a ipad mini i dont get the hate on the ergonomics
i remember when the ds was first announced with 2 screens everybody was saying how wack it was gonna be then BOOM it took off
just give em a chance they know what they doing

Last edited:
Wii U Price Drop Confirmed
Deluxe model will drop to $299.99 beginning with the launch of the Wind Waker HD bundle.
by Andrew Goldfarb
August 28, 2013

Nintendo has announced a $50 price drop for Wii U. Beginning on September 20, the Wii U Deluxe model will be available for $299.99.

The new price will take effect alongside the previously-confirmed Wind Waker HD bundle, which will also retail for $299.99 and includes a 32GB hard drive, a special Zelda-themed GamePad, a digital copy of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and a digital version of the Zelda Hyrule Historia book.

Really, the focus on heightening the value for Wii U is now that we are in a position where we’ve got a regular pace of great software.

“The price decline is pretty straightforward,” Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime told IGN. “Really, the focus on heightening the value for Wii U is now that we are in a position where we’ve got a regular pace of great software. Pikmin 3, New Super Luigi U that just launched physically, Wonderful 101 in September, and then Wind Waker. Then we’ve got strong third-party content coming for the holidays as well. Scribblenauts, Skylanders, Sonic Lost World, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin’s Creed IV, Watch Dogs. So, strong pace of first-party, strong third-party content. Now’s the time to make the Wii U even more affordable and heighten the value.”

waker-b

Fils-Aime also expressed excitement for Hyrule historia, telling us, “Digitally, it’s phenomenal. You could look at it through the GamePad. You can look at it on your big screen, turn the pages, search for specific items. It’s essentially a digital version of the book that you’ll be able to access through the GamePad, that you’ll download onto the system. It’ll be resident on the system. It’s really cool.”

Look out for more from our interview with Fils-Aime on IGN in the days to come, and expect us to unbox the Wind Waker bundle in the weeks leading up to its launch.

I kind of like that 2ds, I already own an XL and play all my games exclusively in 3d (with the slider to the max) so this isnt for me, but this would be great for my 3 year old son. He already has the Pikachu 3ds XL but its kind of big for him, and plus he always grabs the system by the top screen (I cringe every time) and I fear it may break in the long run. If I can get one for $100 I'll definitely buy

i remember when the ds was first announced with 2 screens everybody was saying how wack it was gonna be then BOOM it took off

For me it's how far down the D pad is from the shoulder buttons especially for people with small hands i.e kids.
I use the d-pad for fighters and platformers along with the shoulder buttons so it just looks like a stretch if you want to use both.

I just read that it's actually 1 big screen underneath instead of two so they'll save money manufacturing this.
That's probably the reason why it was released but I'm wondering why now.

For me it's how far down the D pad is from the shoulder buttons especially for people with small hands i.e kids.
I use the d-pad for fighters and platformers along with the shoulder buttons so it just looks like a stretch if you want to use both.

I just read that it's actually 1 big screen underneath instead of two so they'll save money manufacturing this.
That's probably the reason why it was released but I'm wondering why now.
probably to phase out the dsi while still maintaining that fanbase who dont really care about the 3d
that way they can still play the 3ds games without having to buy the more expensive 3ds
at least thats what i think

Wonderful 101 sold 6,000 copies in it's debut week. That's so pathetic; I honestly feel bad for Platinum. W101 looks like such a fun game, reminds me of those crazy Japanese games from the PS1 era. I can't even say it's their fault for choosing this be a Wii U exclusive because Pikmin 3 sold good for a Wii U game. Shame....6,000 copies though. I can't even imagine how terrible everyone at Platinum is feeling. Seriously, we're looking at 20,000 units sold in it's lifetime. Add another 20,000 from World sales for total of 40,000 and that's being OPTIMISTIC.

Wonderful 101 sold 6,000 copies in it's debut week. That's so pathetic; I honestly feel bad for Platinum. W101 looks like such a fun game, reminds me of those crazy Japanese games from the PS1 era. I can't even say it's their fault for choosing this be a Wii U exclusive because Pikmin 3 sold good for a Wii U game. Shame....6,000 copies though. I can't even imagine how terrible everyone at Platinum is feeling. Seriously, we're looking at 20,000 units sold in it's lifetime. Add another 20,000 from World sales for total of 40,000 and that's being OPTIMISTIC.
SLOW Down

Christmas is coming around the bend.

It does suck that 101 sold like **** and its in Japan where they like that weird hectic type of gameplay, then Nintendo has it releasing here in NA pretty much at the same time as GTA which I'll be picking up and Rayman which comes out in the beginning of Septemeber.

You say that Christmas is around the corner but Mario 3D world comes out around that time which will eat up 101's potential sales, its in a tofu spot but I hope it sells enough to warrant a sequel and more platinum games on Wii U.

I for one love the pricing strategy Nintendo is implementing. Nintendo is making the Wii U very consumer friendly and accessible this holiday season. The Wii U will be $100-$150 cheaper, will have a nice library of popular games, backwards compatible to the Wii and its peripherals, and comes with a game.

For those on the fence, I think the best time to get a Wii U will be in November once Mario 3D World comes out. They'll have a nice library to keep you occupied while being in position to take advantage of all the great stuff dropping in 2014.

As for the 2DS, it is clear it is aimed toward the tablet demographic. This solves a lot of problems for Nintendo and consumers bc its cheaper, more durable, and comparable in size to popular tablets while allowing for Nintendo content. It has also been rumored that Nintendo may be allowing support for cross platform play between iOS, Android , and Mac devices. Another smart move if done correctly...

Overall, I think Nintendo is content on letting Microsoft and Sony battle for the "hardcore" consumer this holiday season while they put themselves in a position to steal the wider casual demographic.

Good move by Nintendo on bumping Up mario 3d world. I think things are going to start turning around for the Wii U. I've had mine since launch and I love it.

Just getting home to all the other news, looks like the Zelda bundle is limited. Might have to scoop that up for collection sake.

Not sure if it was mentioned but the Zelda bundle will come with a code that you can use to download the game on September 20th instead of the Oct 4 release day, a little more incentive to pick up the bundle. You'll also get a free digital copy of Hyrule Historia.

But if you're like me and you like the physical game covers then it's good news for you/me too, you can get a Ganandorf figurine that comes bundled in with the game exclusive to Gamestop for 54.99 while the regular copy will be 49.99 and they'll both have a gold foil cover which will stand out nicely among my green Super Luigi U game.

Last edited:
Nintendo sure knows how to make game covers, these look awesome.

Absolutely love the Zelda cover :pimp:

The 3ds hurts my eyes and nothing looks like it's in 3D.my body is ready for that Zelda game though

If I didn't already have the OG & XL version I would probably get a 2DS for my younger siblings but since I updated to the XL they use the old one.

I just realized that Link between worlds, Mario 3D World, and Mario party are all coming out the same day. So many games.

have been using my wii u for about two weeks now, only game i got was pikmin and that only lasted 3 days (great game, just had a really short storyline) but i dont even need games to enjoy this thing. the built in netflix app is money. being able to watch tv/movies and bring the pad with me while im in the bathroom/cooking and not have to pause the video. nintendo land is average in terms of entertainment value however it showcases some features that would make crazy games in the right hands

During an interview with IGN, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime defended Wii U's value proposition for consumers this Fall.
“It’s all about the games. The competitive systems have announced their launch lineups. I’m allowed to say ‘Meh,’” Fils-Aime said. “I look at our lineup of titles and I feel good about our lineup. We’ve got Zelda. We’ve got Mario. We’ve got Donkey Kong. In addition to great titles like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101, I feel very good about our lineup, and I feel very good about the value proposition we’re putting out there for the consumer.”

In response to adding new technologies to the home console experience, Fils-Aime continued to hammer the point that, in the end, all the consumer cares about is great games and great experiences. “We’ve got cloud technology that we’re delivering with Wii U. Nintendo TVii is all cloud-based technology. But the difference is, we don’t talk about the tech. We talk about the experience. We make sure that the consumer has fun with the game experiences that we provide, “ Fils-Aime told IGN. “And so I think as you compare and contrast Nintendo with other players in the space, for us it’s about games, about the fun, about the entertainment value, and not about the tech.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-president-on-ps4-xbox-one-launch-lineups-meh?

These statements echo my sentiments about the approach Nintendo has been taking. "Hardcore" fans, including those in the gaming media, are quick to crown PS4/XBone the "real next gen experiences", but fail to realize these new consoles hardly bring anything new gaming outside of graphical updates. With the last generation of games becoming formulaic and stale, it confuses me when so many people are so excited for these new machines.

In the long run I think the video game industry will continue to shrink if companies continue to over rely on graphics. It's not sustainable and will cause consumers to spend their money on other forms of entertainment. Video games might go back to being a niche market.

Last edited:
I own a 3ds and the 3d function hurts my eyes and gives me headaches, but what makes up for it is all the games. i would get a 2ds just for the heck of it

During an interview with IGN, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime defended Wii U's value proposition for consumers this Fall.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-president-on-ps4-xbox-one-launch-lineups-meh?

These statements echo my sentiments about the approach Nintendo has been taking. "Hardcore" fans, including those in the gaming media, are quick to crown PS4/XBone the "real next gen experiences", but fail to realize these new consoles hardly bring anything new gaming outside of graphical updates. With the last generation of games becoming formulaic and stale, it confuses me when so many people are so excited for these new machines.

In the long run I think the video game industry will continue to shrink if companies continue to over rely on graphics. It's not sustainable and will cause consumers to spend their money on other forms of entertainment. Video games might go back to being a niche market.

What else is Reggie going to say, He isn't going to say otherwise.

Looking at the PS4's E3 and Gamescom conferences, a major focus was indie games and they are hardly formulaic or stale. Journey is the highest selling game on PSN, tell me how that is formulaic or stale
Like I've also said before better tech allows for software innovation and developer flexibility not just graphics updates. Do you think the next smash or Xenoblade will be possible on the wii with the graphics toned down?

Here's an example:

Konami looked at bringing Metal Gear Rising to the Vita, but here's why they couldn't

There's no PS Vita version of Platinum Games hack and slash Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance because Sony's handheld can't cope with one of its key mechanics.

The spin-off, which stars cyborg ninja Raiden, has a free cutting system that lets players slice and dice enemies any way they see fit - and it's this mechanic Vita can't cope with.

"As of now we aren't considering a Vita version," Kojima Productions creative producer Yuji Korekado told Eurogamer at Gamescom.
"The reason is one of the main appeals of Metal Gear Rising is this option of the free cut. That requires a lot of hardware power, which is only possible with the power of a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

"So as of now, we haven't contemplated bringing it to handheld consoles."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-21-why-theres-no-metal-gear-rising-revenegance-on-vita

They mentioned nothing about bad graphics being the reason it wasn't on the vita, it was because a major part of the gameplay simply wasn't possible on weaker hardware especially with the game running at 60fps.

With "next gen" consoles having better tech, easy to develop architecture and a much better stance towards smaller and indie developers and third party support. The future is looking bright for them

Nintendo's going a different route so just enjoy what they're bringing to the table without taking a dump on the other consoles.

What else is Reggie going to say, He isn't going to say otherwise.

Looking at the PS4's E3 and Gamescom conferences, a major focus was indie games and they are hardly formulaic or stale. Journey is the highest selling game on PSN, tell me how that is formulaic or stale
Like I've also said before better tech allows for software innovation and developer flexibility not just graphics updates. Do you think the next smash or Xenoblade will be possible on the wii with the graphics toned down?

They mentioned nothing about bad graphics being the reason it wasn't on the vita, it was because a major part of the gameplay simply wasn't possible on weaker hardware especially with the game running at 60fps.

With "next gen" consoles having better tech, easy to develop architecture and a much better stance towards smaller and indie developers and third party support. The future is looking bright for them

Nintendo's going a different route so just enjoy what they're bringing to the table without taking a dump on the other consoles.

Let me start off by saying I did not intend to "dump" on other consoles. My intention was to bring up Nintendo's thought process in comparison to their competition.

With that said, you are 100% correct when you say that better tech allows for software innovation and flexibility. The only only problem is that graphics in video games are finite. Graphics aren't as important as they used to be. Focusing game play on graphics is not sustainable because of the law of diminishing returns.

You said it yourself, a major focus at this past E3/Gamescom were indie games. Why do you think that is? Major companies in the gaming industry are suffering and are laying off employees on a consistent basis. Just today EA was rumored to have lay off close to 300 workers! It only makes sense to exploit indie development as game cost continue to rise.

Games like Journey were the exception and not the norm last generation. For every Journey there are 3-4 games like Tomb Raider whose publishers were barely able to recoup the money it took to make the game. Compelling game play ideas and originality were put on the back burner far too many times last generation in hopes to emulate the success of games like Call of Duty and Halo.

You bring up Vita as an example to show how graphical limitations could hinder a system. That's an apples and oranges comparison. In your example the developer's original vision was met on the console it was built for. The publisher was faced with the problem of porting that game to a lesser system. This is more of a function of bad planning.

Gaming consoles by their very definition are closed devices. There will always be limitations as technology develops, BUT the question is whether better technology will yield a better experience for gamers. Just look at the 3DS; it is far weaker than the Vita, yet it has outperformed that system up until this point. By your accounts developers should be able to make better games on the Vita... but they are not. The better games are on the 3DS because the developers focused more on the experience and not the graphics...

Last edited:
Have any of you with a 3DS played Steamworld Dig on the Eshop? I bought it cause it was compared to Metroid & Dig Dug (******g love Dig Dug) and I must say that this game is awesome, even though it's not super long. The game looks gorgeous when you turn on the 3D effect because of the background layering.

I HIGHLY recommend this game to anyone with a 3DS, while it does start off a bit repetitive with the digging, once you start getting your upgrades and exploring new areas it gets really good.
I would normally play it on my commute to work and almost always miss my stop on the train.

Gameplay/Commentary video

With that said, you are 100% correct when you say that better tech allows for software innovation and flexibility. The only only problem is that graphics in video games are finite. Graphics aren't as important as they used to be. Focusing game play on graphics is not sustainable because of the law of diminishing returns.
Graphics are important depending on the game. Gameplay is obviously king but If a developers vision is for you to be fully immersed in a world they've built then it's important. If you're playing a driving game especially an open world one then graphics are important so that you can see where you are going without pop in.
We haven't reached that point yet where graphics are giving us diminishing returns.We think we have until the next gen comes round and then we wonder what we did before. There's a reason why every single console reveal have tech demo's showcasing how they can improve both gameplay and graphics. It's a dev's duty to to have the right ratio of resources dedicated to gameplay and graphics. Of course with better tech, this usually becomes an easier decision than it was previouslly.

You said it yourself, a major focus at this past E3/Gamescom were indie games. Why do you think that is? Major companies in the gaming industry are suffering and are laying off employees on a consistent basis. Just today EA was rumored to have lay off close to 300 workers! It only makes sense to exploit indie development as game cost continue to rise.
I think indie games are a major focus so that you can foster talent and have a variety of games on your platform. This happened on the PS1 which helped it explode on to the scene. With more exposure and success these indie developers can grow to be the next big thing or just carry on making great games

As for why companies are laying of staff it's because game budgets are increasing. This gen alone has seen the rise of multiplayer games and you need network engineers to build the netcode for games. That's an entire new workforce that need to be paid that were not there in the previous gen.It's not like theres 70% of the studio working on making the game pretty while 30% work on gameplay. As games get more complex, you need to spend more time on them which means hiring more people and paying more wages. Everyone across the board has been affected, some worse than others.

Games like Journey were the exception and not the norm last generation. For every Journey there are 3-4 games like Tomb Raider whose publishers were barely able to recoup the money it took to make the game. Compelling game play ideas and originality were put on the back burner far too many times last generation in hopes to emulate the success of games like Call of Duty and Halo.
Yes while some tried to chase the Cod money and failed, there are plenty others which had original ideas. They don't sell as much or have the same marketing budget as COD or Halo but there are loads of them if you search. I visit the PSBlog so I see all the different types of games coming constantly. These original games are now getting more attention than before which is good for everyone.

You bring up Vita as an example to show how graphical limitations could hinder a system. That's an apples and oranges comparison. In your example the developer's original vision was met on the console it was built for. The publisher was faced with the problem of porting that game to a lesser system. This is more of a function of bad planning.
I brought up Vita to show how hardware could limit a system. They couldn't port it because of the slicing game mechanic not the graphics. It's an example to show how gameplay can benefit from better technology.

Gaming consoles by their very definition are closed devices. There will always be limitations as technology develops, BUT the question is whether better technology will yield a better experience for gamers. Just look at the 3DS; it is far weaker than the Vita, yet it has outperformed that system up until this point. By your accounts developers should be able to make better games on the Vita... but they are not. The better games are on the 3DS because the developers focused more on the experience and not the graphics...

It's a bit subjective to say the better games are on the 3DS. To me the games on Vita are better but that's just my opinion
If we were to compare games that are on both then the Vita version will perform better everytime. Certain genre's are also better on Vita because it has dual analog sticks like FPS's.

There are many things that affects a consoles sales not just the hardware. You can make powerful hardware but if no one makes games for it then it doesn't matter how powerful the hardware is.
Developers are hardly making games for the vita becasue they've jumped from handhelds onto smartphones and tablets.The handheld market is shrinking. The higest selling third party game for the 3DS in the US is The Angry Birds Trilogy which is a mobile game, it's Ninentdo's games propping the system up in the west and obviously that's their bread and butter. Things are better in Japan because they have third party support there but mobile is growing there as well as TGS this year will show.

Back
Top Bottom