NOPE - New Horror by Jordan Peele - 07/22/22

Checked it out opening night joint was aight not caught up on the “it was great movie” train right now(giving 6 out of 10 ) gotta watch it a 2nd time but right now i liked get out over this joint

Fan theory

at the end of the film, it’s revealed that Adelaide and Red swapped places (one more willingly than the other) when they were kids. Oops! But what if she’s not the only one who pulled the ol’ switcheroo? “The summer before the movie takes place, the boy [Jason] and his ‘tethered’ [Pluto] also switched places,” the theory from Reddit user “hoopsterben” goes before getting to the proof.

1. He forgot the magic trick. He didn’t actually forget the magic trick, he learned it successfully and burnt half of his face off in the process, though his tethered only has a slight memory of him learning the trick.

2. While at the beach instead of building sand castles he was building tunnels, weird right?

3. When both of the boys are in danger, the moms realize this had happened and each of them focus on their child. You can see in her eyes how sad she is when he burns alive.

4. At the end, he has realized that his mother, at one point, has also switched bodies. She gives him a look almost like “I also know what you know” and then he puts on his mask, as a symbol of the masks they will now wear for the rest of their lives. (Via)

This convincing theory would explain the look mother and son give to each other in the final moments of the film (the werewolf mask is his acknowledgment that he, like her, is a “monster”), and why Jason builds sand tunnels, not sand castles, while on the beach, and how Jason makes Pluto walk backward into the fire. Remember: the Tethered are able to partially control their aboveground counterparts; the character we think is Jason is actually Pluto the entire time.

Also!

The lower half of Pluto’s face isn’t just covered in burns because he likes to play with matches. The theory supposes that every time newly swapped Jason tried and failed to do his “magic trick,” holding the trick lighter right up to his face, Pluto matched the movement and suffered burns because of it. Which is further proof that Pluto is the original, untethered son, controlled by Jason. (Via)

It’s just believable enough that I buy it one hundred percent. Expect Us to have another huge weekend at the box office, with people testing out this theory.

Jason/Pluto

-At the most surface scary movie nostalgic level, you have a character named Jason wearing a mask.
-Jaws shirt reference - a killer shark from underwater attacking surface people
-I think his mask separates him from everyone around him.(Pluto & Jason) along with playing in the closet by himself and playing under the sand by himself on the beach.
-Something about the symbolism of the twins that by nature mirror each other commenting on how weird he was.
- Pluto = Smallest, Furthest, Coldest planet . Greek for God of Hades ( Underworld ) - Connection with fire/ hades/ hell.
-Jason = Greek ( to heal, cure or cognate with). = having the same linguistic derivation as another; from the same original word or root.
-Something about the off-beat snapping made it seam like it was an inside thing, or hypnotism.
- Jason was weird and off. Parents having discussion about him being different. Not as harsh as when the mom was swapped.

Weekend can't get here fast enough so i can watch this movie again.

If Pluto was in fact Jason who was swapped the year before, SOMEONE please explain to me, burnt face aside, HOW DID HE ASSIMILATE to being Pluto within a year????? That to me is the biggest hole in that theory..

Fan theory

at the end of the film, it’s revealed that Adelaide and Red swapped places (one more willingly than the other) when they were kids. Oops! But what if she’s not the only one who pulled the ol’ switcheroo? “The summer before the movie takes place, the boy [Jason] and his ‘tethered’ [Pluto] also switched places,” the theory from Reddit user “hoopsterben” goes before getting to the proof.

1. He forgot the magic trick. He didn’t actually forget the magic trick, he learned it successfully and burnt half of his face off in the process, though his tethered only has a slight memory of him learning the trick.

2. While at the beach instead of building sand castles he was building tunnels, weird right?

3. When both of the boys are in danger, the moms realize this had happened and each of them focus on their child. You can see in her eyes how sad she is when he burns alive.

4. At the end, he has realized that his mother, at one point, has also switched bodies. She gives him a look almost like “I also know what you know” and then he puts on his mask, as a symbol of the masks they will now wear for the rest of their lives. (Via)

This convincing theory would explain the look mother and son give to each other in the final moments of the film (the werewolf mask is his acknowledgment that he, like her, is a “monster”), and why Jason builds sand tunnels, not sand castles, while on the beach, and how Jason makes Pluto walk backward into the fire. Remember: the Tethered are able to partially control their aboveground counterparts; the character we think is Jason is actually Pluto the entire time.

Also!

The lower half of Pluto’s face isn’t just covered in burns because he likes to play with matches. The theory supposes that every time newly swapped Jason tried and failed to do his “magic trick,” holding the trick lighter right up to his face, Pluto matched the movement and suffered burns because of it. Which is further proof that Pluto is the original, untethered son, controlled by Jason. (Via)

It’s just believable enough that I buy it one hundred percent. Expect Us to have another huge weekend at the box office, with people testing out this theory.

The fact that Pluto mirrored Jason kills all that. And if Adelaide and Red switched when they were kids, how/why would Adelaide go back down there to have Pluto/Jason???

If Pluto was in fact Jason who was swapped the year before, SOMEONE please explain to me, burnt face aside, HOW DID HE ASSIMILATE to being Pluto within a year????? That to me is the biggest hole in that theory..

He didn't assimilate all the way.
He was off.
Off beat.
Said kiss my angus instead of what a normal person would say.
Instead of building sand castles, he building sand tunnels on the beach.
Maybe the swap mother was prepping Pluto underground for his rise to the surface.

Fan theory

Also!

Said the same thing plus more the other day, and nobody but maybe 1 or 2 people could even fathom this idea. Jason is a switch. There is TOO MANY signs.

The only rebuttal was that he can talk so he can’t possibly be a switch.
Well so can Red, and maybe she prepared him in the tunnels.
There is too many connections with him and Pluto, like there is with Red & Adelaide
The dad and sister connect in no shape or form to their clones.

could it be like the nature vs nurture debate?

like on our side you get nurture but in the underground its all nature

and since the soul is the tether its like whichever is more "in control" that side has more "power"

Reactions: wr
and thinking about it deeper, red said adelaide was special

maybe that was because she had the ultimate desire to leave the underground

like the virtue or temerity to even think of leaving is something none of the other shadows ever did

and she also actually concocted the plan to do it, switching with "red"

and simultaneously red was able to hatch her revenge plan born of that same desire

but the father was simple both in our world and underground, maybe only the underground version wanting the "sophistication" or "articulation" of the counterpart

and the daughter was in track, but i think they said she wasnt particularly interested in it

but i remember her shadow relishing the chase

and jason had an affinity for magic, for wonderment, that maybe pluto being tethered and born in dark also shared in that and thus was able to "assimilate"

I chalked it up to him being a weird kid that feels more comfortable in certain situations with his mask on.

It's also Peele giving a nod to The Wolf Man (1941).
I thought it was Pelle giving the nod to “Jason “ Vorhees . With the US Jason wearing the mask basically the whole film

and thinking about it deeper, red said adelaide was special
but the father was simple both in our world and underground, maybe only the underground version wanting the "sophistication" or "articulation" of the counterpart

All the Father's in this movie were useless lol.
Every single last one of them.

so if the tethers were meant to control us

and have us do things

but the program was abandoned

something better came along

but the tech used was kept and thats what powers get out

i think his next movie will be about control from the internet

i think he should do a movie about an ig "model" rise to fame and fall to shame

and include a killer incel

like make it about how toxic social media is and desensitization etc

I hope he continues to do the psychological horror style films that have us thinking/talking about it weeks/months after release. I don't care to see the Candy Man styled films that's all about gore and jump scaring.

Will definitely add this to my Blu Ray collection when it comes out. Still need a copy of Get Out as well.

Back
Top Bottom