NOPE - New Horror by Jordan Peele - 07/22/22

I hope he continues to do the psychological horror style films that have us thinking/talking about it weeks/months after release. I don't care to see the Candy Man styled films that's all about gore and jump scaring.

Will definitely add this to my Blu Ray collection when it comes out. Still need a copy of Get Out as well.
What I love about Peele is that he's a scholar of the horror classics, so even if he were doing your standard jump-scare horror film, he's still have elements in there that call back to unorthodox films like Night of the Living Dead.

What I love about Peele is that he's a scholar of the horror classics, so even if he were doing your standard jump-scare horror film, he's still have elements in there that call back to unorthodox films like Night of the Living Dead.
Don't know if you have, but this documentary is definitely worth watching: Details the history of black people in horror movies from the days when white people used black face, to us being the first to die in films to what Jordan Peele is currently doing with Get Out:

it feels a little like he is mirroring the progression romero did with the dead films

while they are not direct sequels of each other, the resided in the same universe and both series tackled socioeconomic issues and ideas at the time, kind of in the same order

Night of the Living Dead tackles racism
Dawn of the Dead tackles consumerism

There are many many parallels to these in Get Out and Us

Romero slightly missed for me with Day of the Dead but that was post full apocalypse

I wonder what the next one will be then if he is following this trajectory

Finally saw it. I liked it but I thought the twist was a bit predictable, probably thanks to the trailer. I am digging this Pluto theory, it makes a lot of sense and adds some depth to the doppelganger genre.

I want to look forward to this but I feel like he should’ve tried his hand at something different. There will be too many comparisons to Get Out, this move reminds me of M. Night.

This was my initial reaction to hearing about this movie. I just got done watching it and I have to eat my words.

My take: While watching, I felt bored throughout. Thats was until the last 30 mins. Then things started clicking for me and I started to love it. The car ride home I had time to reflect and man, I can’t wait to rewatch from another perspective.

He didn't assimilate all the way.
He was off.
Off beat.
Said kiss my angus instead of what a normal person would say.
Instead of building sand castles, he building sand tunnels on the beach.
Maybe the swap mother was prepping Pluto underground for his rise to the surface.

I think it’s the opposite, the tethered was on land and learned magic and got switched with the real on the off camera trip, they both could talk because both moms knew how to talk but the clone couldn’t anymore because of the severe burns. The clone prolly also killed the grandmother in that fire.

Fan theory

at the end of the film, it’s revealed that Adelaide and Red swapped places (one more willingly than the other) when they were kids. Oops! But what if she’s not the only one who pulled the ol’ switcheroo? “The summer before the movie takes place, the boy [Jason] and his ‘tethered’ [Pluto] also switched places,” the theory from Reddit user “hoopsterben” goes before getting to the proof.

1. He forgot the magic trick. He didn’t actually forget the magic trick, he learned it successfully and burnt half of his face off in the process, though his tethered only has a slight memory of him learning the trick.

2. While at the beach instead of building sand castles he was building tunnels, weird right?

3. When both of the boys are in danger, the moms realize this had happened and each of them focus on their child. You can see in her eyes how sad she is when he burns alive.

4. At the end, he has realized that his mother, at one point, has also switched bodies. She gives him a look almost like “I also know what you know” and then he puts on his mask, as a symbol of the masks they will now wear for the rest of their lives. (Via)

This convincing theory would explain the look mother and son give to each other in the final moments of the film (the werewolf mask is his acknowledgment that he, like her, is a “monster”), and why Jason builds sand tunnels, not sand castles, while on the beach, and how Jason makes Pluto walk backward into the fire. Remember: the Tethered are able to partially control their aboveground counterparts; the character we think is Jason is actually Pluto the entire time.

Also!

The lower half of Pluto’s face isn’t just covered in burns because he likes to play with matches. The theory supposes that every time newly swapped Jason tried and failed to do his “magic trick,” holding the trick lighter right up to his face, Pluto matched the movement and suffered burns because of it. Which is further proof that Pluto is the original, untethered son, controlled by Jason. (Via)

It’s just believable enough that I buy it one hundred percent. Expect Us to have another huge weekend at the box office, with people testing out this theory.

the mother in plain clothes was the clone, the clone mother was sad when the clone son died and she also rushed to check on her clone daughter when she was in that tree.

the boys had the opposite switch of the mother. the clone was living on land and the real one was living down below but got switched on the off camera trip

they both got trapped in the closet once each at the beginning, one off camera and one on. then the clone got trapped a second time by the real one.

the real one didn’t know magic because the clone learned it and the clones only mimick the real ones not the other way around so the real one never knew the trick.

the real one drew a pic of the clone and the bloody white man at the beach and the clone mother asked who was that in the pic and the real one said he didn’t know.

the real one was making tunnels at the beach and is described as weird cause he’s been underground as a baby and on land as a kid.

there are other things too but I just woke up

Aight I’m still not on team Jason was swapped but I hadn’t considered this...

Also, for the reverting to animal instincts I believe because all 4 of the children are half human half tethered they would have an easier time switching between themselves. Thus he was more susceptible to acting like a tethered and the other boy was able to switch almost unnoticed

I never considered this as to being a factor. If team Jason was swapped is right this could explain why he reverted to animal instincts so quickly cause he was half tethered and why Pluto reverted to human instincts so quickly cause he’s half human

Last edited:
Finally saw it. I liked it but I thought the twist was a bit predictable, probably thanks to the trailer. I am digging this Pluto theory, it makes a lot of sense and adds some depth to the doppelganger genre.

Great movie but lowkey everything was in plain sight.

The dad was weak. One hit to leg and couldn’t defend his family?

The dad was the furthest removed from the underground world. That’s why he was the weakest. He was interested in trying to one up the other family. notice how he couldn’t figure out what the clones wanted when they first showed up, he offered all material things.

All the dad's chose material comfort over looking after there families.

Adeleiades dad chose alcohol.
Winston's character cared more about the boat and one up the other dad.
The twins dad chose watching TV and sipping over checking outside for danger.

I think it was a jab at masculinity not being able to save everyone.

Last edited:
Watched it again yesterday. Definitely an enjoyable experience if you're looking for clues / having new realizations.

- When Adelaide is lost in the mirror maze and begins whistling "itsy bitsy spider", her tether is whistling back, but there's no tune (tether lacks rhythm / creativity). Later, when "Red" gets the hidden key in the rock, she's whistling "itsy bitsy spider".
- the red frisbee coving the blue dot was a foreshadowing that "Red" was coming to take back her place on the surface
- Elizabeth Moss's tether cuts her face w the scissors because the surface character gets cosmetic surgery (face cutting).
- Adelaide knows her way around the underground tunnels because she's originally from there.

I don’t think the dad was weak at all. Mans was on one leg and still took out two of em and one was as big as he was.

Winston Duke on two legs and prep time clone army gets washed movie over in 30 minutes

The problem yall have with the dad is he was wild corny throughout so even when he protected his family it didnt really feel like he did cuz he did it in his own corny way which comes off as weak.

Last edited:
dad was weak but thats harsh.
what are you supposed to do with one leg?
It wasn't broke though. Adrenaline should've kicked in. It was like everyone fend for themselves. Which maybe that was the point..to face ourselves etc. but whatever. Movie was str8.

i think Adelaide said herself she was mad at red for who she picked as a husband

don’t remember, I hated the voice she used but I get it

just would’ve preferred her to talk more clear

I don’t think the dad was weak at all. Mans was on one leg and still took out two of em and one was as big as he was.

Winston Duke on two legs and prep time clone army gets washed movie over in 30 minutes

Dude got hit in the ankle one time and it was a game ending injury. Meanwhile, Adelaide gutting cut, stabbed and beat up but keeps moving. But, then again, her being from the shadow world would make her tougher. I wonder if that symbolism isn't pro women, but more or less, "the struggle makes you stronger".

I actually agree with all this. My point is he was on Kubrick levels with the subliminals but the movie wasn’t as good as people made it out to be. Like I went in expecting a crazy good movie and was disappointed. People were gassing it od. I mean it wasn’t buns but compared to what I expected going in it was.
A tad late but reading through the thread, how are you mad at him because of your expectations of the movie. He didn't gas the movie up others did. You are letting them think for you in the sense that you are letting them tell you to raise your expectations for the movie. I saw Get Out super late, I wasn't blown away by it. However I respected and liked the movie, is it in my top 10 I don't know I need to watch it a couple more times. Stepping back and looking at things I say a lot more brothers are in the Sunken Place and don't even know it.

Again not trying to change how you feel just simply saying you think for yourself but then you let others think for you on how excited you should be when you see a movie.

Back
Top Bottom