NORCAL SKI/SNOWBOARDING SEASON 2011/2012

doin a day trip to Squaw tomorrow
pimp.gif

Nice pics. Can't wait to go in two weeks! Don't know which I'm going to but I'm following my friend's friends. We'll be staying in Reno. Gonna be my first time snowboarding. You guys got any first timer tips? lol

Nice pics. Can't wait to go in two weeks! Don't know which I'm going to but I'm following my friend's friends. We'll be staying in Reno. Gonna be my first time snowboarding. You guys got any first timer tips? lol

Btw, check your local ROSS stores if you guys are interested in the NIke Zoom Force Snowboard boots. Picked up a pair for $85, they had many designs. 

Btw, check your local ROSS stores if you guys are interested in the NIke Zoom Force Snowboard boots. Picked up a pair for $85, they had many designs. 

Originally Posted by Abu

you got a PM.

Originally Posted by Abu

you got a PM.

Ross that had the boots didn't have size 11. I want the black and dragon one. The yellow white ones were too much for my taste. Is it true to size because I tried an 11 and my toes are kind of jamming.

Ross that had the boots didn't have size 11. I want the black and dragon one. The yellow white ones were too much for my taste. Is it true to size because I tried an 11 and my toes are kind of jamming.

Here's some info on the Nike Zoom Force 1s since it sounds like there's a lot of interest for them in here.

2008 - First year Nike got into the snowboard game, and started so with just the Zoom Force 1 boots

2009 - Nike changed up the sizing on the Zoom Force 1s quite a bit. The sizing ran pretty small the first time around esp. for industry standards, so for 2009 they made them run almost a whole size bigger. From my personal experience, I had a pair of 10.5 from 2008, which fit really tight, even tighter than most other boots that I get in sz. 10. Eventually sold them. I tried on the zoom force 1s again after they changed the sizing, and size 10 fit perfect (remember when you guys get sized up for boots, you want them as snug as possible without being painful because 1.) you want to maximize heel hold and 2.) boots will pack out after a few days of riding).

Another change they added to 2009 (not sure if this will matter for most) was the upper material. They started with genuine leather in 2008, but there were feedback complaints of the leather losing shape and support throughout the season. So for 2009 they changed the upper material to synthetic leather. One last change added was Outlast material to the inner liner. It's basically advertised to regulate temperature in your boots (keeps your feet warm when cold, cools your feet when it gets warm inside).

2010 (current season) - Same specs and sizing as 2009 Zoom Force 1s, with some more added tech. Some sort of strobel material was added to the inner lining of the shell of the boot. Supposedly this is what NASA and their astronauts use to keep them warm or something. Also heard the back stay (the spine that runs up the back heel of the boots) were reinforced cuz some of the team riders wanted more support in that department.

I have no idea which year models are hitting the shelves at Ross right now (but highly doubt any of the current 2010 models are there) so I thought this might help you guys, especially with the sizing.

Here's some info on the Nike Zoom Force 1s since it sounds like there's a lot of interest for them in here.

2008 - First year Nike got into the snowboard game, and started so with just the Zoom Force 1 boots

2009 - Nike changed up the sizing on the Zoom Force 1s quite a bit. The sizing ran pretty small the first time around esp. for industry standards, so for 2009 they made them run almost a whole size bigger. From my personal experience, I had a pair of 10.5 from 2008, which fit really tight, even tighter than most other boots that I get in sz. 10. Eventually sold them. I tried on the zoom force 1s again after they changed the sizing, and size 10 fit perfect (remember when you guys get sized up for boots, you want them as snug as possible without being painful because 1.) you want to maximize heel hold and 2.) boots will pack out after a few days of riding).

Another change they added to 2009 (not sure if this will matter for most) was the upper material. They started with genuine leather in 2008, but there were feedback complaints of the leather losing shape and support throughout the season. So for 2009 they changed the upper material to synthetic leather. One last change added was Outlast material to the inner liner. It's basically advertised to regulate temperature in your boots (keeps your feet warm when cold, cools your feet when it gets warm inside).

2010 (current season) - Same specs and sizing as 2009 Zoom Force 1s, with some more added tech. Some sort of strobel material was added to the inner lining of the shell of the boot. Supposedly this is what NASA and their astronauts use to keep them warm or something. Also heard the back stay (the spine that runs up the back heel of the boots) were reinforced cuz some of the team riders wanted more support in that department.

I have no idea which year models are hitting the shelves at Ross right now (but highly doubt any of the current 2010 models are there) so I thought this might help you guys, especially with the sizing.

@ Northstar yesterday, had a great time riding fast groomers and finding freshness in the trees.

@ Northstar yesterday, had a great time riding fast groomers and finding freshness in the trees.

Thanks for the great info swooshman. I've been looking for an updated pair of boots. I might check out the nearest Ross.

Thanks for the great info swooshman. I've been looking for an updated pair of boots. I might check out the nearest Ross.

I'll be snowboarding for the first time and actually seeing snow for the first time. Kind of crazy since I'm 20 and lived in the bay my whole life and have never went to Tahoe. I'll be going in about two weeks. I'm clueless as to what I should pack and of what gear to get to go snowboarding, so can anyone help me out where I can get some cheap gloves, pants, jackets, etc? Could I rent some gear there? My friends and I are going to be at Sierra. Thanks for anyone that can help me out.

I'll be snowboarding for the first time and actually seeing snow for the first time. Kind of crazy since I'm 20 and lived in the bay my whole life and have never went to Tahoe. I'll be going in about two weeks. I'm clueless as to what I should pack and of what gear to get to go snowboarding, so can anyone help me out where I can get some cheap gloves, pants, jackets, etc? Could I rent some gear there? My friends and I are going to be at Sierra. Thanks for anyone that can help me out.

Originally Posted by youngpnoi

you can rent gear out there. there should be a quite a bit of mom-and-pop places on the way there as well. not too sure how much more you'll save though. 
as far as all the accessories you mentioned, try sports authority, REI, or sports basement. maybe even wal mart for some of that stuff. youll also want a balaclava (ski mask) or at least a bandana to cover your face. goggles are needed too. if youre planning to stay close to stateline for the weekend, theres a rite aid in south tahoe that has some cheap stuff if youre in a crunch for time. you can try looking for some deals on trusnow.com. wont be able to try them on til you actually get it, but theres some decent stuff there. 

if you dont have snowboarding socks at least bring 1 or 2 pairs of long socks. i usually layer with a t shirt, thermal, another t shirt, then my jacket. if your jacket is thick enough you should be good. 

you can rent gear out there. there should be a quite a bit of mom-and-pop places on the way there as well. not too sure how much more you'll save though. 
as far as all the accessories you mentioned, try sports authority, REI, or sports basement. maybe even wal mart for some of that stuff. youll also want a balaclava (ski mask) or at least a bandana to cover your face. goggles are needed too. if youre planning to stay close to stateline for the weekend, theres a rite aid in south tahoe that has some cheap stuff if youre in a crunch for time. you can try looking for some deals on trusnow.com. wont be able to try them on til you actually get it, but theres some decent stuff there. 

if you dont have snowboarding socks at least bring 1 or 2 pairs of long socks. i usually layer with a t shirt, thermal, another t shirt, then my jacket. if your jacket is thick enough you should be good. 

Originally Posted by LORENander

Awesome, appreciate the info! Thanks, I'll definitely keep all those places and what to get in mind. I'm pretty excited to go out there for this first time. Hope I don't get too banged up, haha.

Originally Posted by LORENander

Awesome, appreciate the info! Thanks, I'll definitely keep all those places and what to get in mind. I'm pretty excited to go out there for this first time. Hope I don't get too banged up, haha.

Back
Top Bottom