Norcal's GRUB Thread

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Just had Restaurant Chu in Oakland, not bad, solid Chinese food.

Rolling to Mama's SF this weekend.

I just started working at their sister restaurant, Kirin in Berkeley!

ate at Namu in the Inner Richmond (Balboa x 6th ave) this weekend and it was surprisingly one of the better burgers I've had. Despite how huge it was (pause) it was actually light. I wasn't stuffed after eating it all. Plus the fries that came with it were quite bomb. I say check it out if you're in or around the neighborhood

b2436af608e011e19896123138142014_7.jpg

and here's a coupon for the spot: http://www.giltcity.com/san-francisco/namu

Could Luong or anybody else familiar with the nightlife out in SF comment on "The Spot" or Toyose for the soju cocktails? Out here in the east bay I usually hit up Dan Sung Sa but just in case I was out with my homies in the city....which one would you guys recommend?

^^ I was just at Toyose last night. I've been to The Spot as well. I haven't had the soju cocktails at either (we just go with soju), but overall, I think the food and the soju are better at Toyose. If you're traveling from the Eastbay, Toyose is def worth it. I'm not trying to oversell you on it, but it's def one of the few places where I don't mind waiting for a table at.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Could Luong or anybody else familiar with the nightlife out in SF comment on "The Spot" or Toyose for the soju cocktails? Out here in the east bay I usually hit up Dan Sung Sa but just in case I was out with my homies in the city....which one would you guys recommend?
The Spot - Great place to kick back and have a good time with friends. Soju isn't bad, it's good, but it doesn't stand out. I haven't exactly tried their food, but I hear it's good.

Toyose - Great soju. When compared to The Spot, you can definitely taste the real fruit flavor. This is more of a restaurant type environment where you chit chat with friends, whereas The Spot, you could be relatively "loud", play drinking games, etc etc.
Food here is a little pricey. Kimchi fried rice was like $13 total and was on the rather smaller portioned side. Wings were ehh, "not bad", same goes for the calamari.

As for the prices, I honestly don't recall other than the one mentioned above. Hope this helps.

Parking - Neither is difficult, but Toyose's area is easier. Taraval may have less spots that are also smaller.

preciate the useful info, y'all. But uhh....gaddamn, $13 for a kimchi fried rice?! That's actually around how much it is for an order at Dan Sung Sa....but the wings are cheaper and super smackin'. I guess If I'm broke I'll just go pre-game eat at won ton house or something. You can feed an entire family there for $13...

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Korean food. Kalbi and marinated chicken is on point, bugolgi is average
grin.gif
, kimchi fried rice with spam is 6.25+tax
pimp.gif
with chicken, beef, or pork is an additional $1.

Prices are pretty cheap, worth a try.
Update with pics (Plates with beef/pork/chicken come with japchae, noodles):

ebaf75ea1ed511e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

i'm in school over in emeryville. the food there sucks. except for can't fail cafe. it's expensive diner food but it's damn good food. i've gone twice so far. had a basic breakfast one day, and the chicken apple sausage was crackin. had a cheeseburger the other day, it was cooked perfect and the fries were cool, but the buns weren't toasted which was weird. still left the spot satisfied. so if you're ever stuck out in emeryville or hitting up ikea, eat here instead of dining on mediocre meatballs and 50 cent hot dogs.

does anybody else got some spots in the emeryville area? i doubt there's anything besides this place worth existing(shoutouts to togo's and e.coli lettuce at trader joes), but i want to fully explore my options in emeryville before hitting up berkeley.

Originally Posted by aznballa33

^^ hit up the international marketplace food court.. lots of choices.

what he said.

Also, you're 10 minutes from Berkeley or downtown Oakland.... TONS OF SPOTS TO CHECK OUT!!!

Yeah, I drove by the marketplace today and smelt BBQ. Leads me to believe that nothing but good things happen in there
laugh.gif
. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Anyone ever eat at one of the Kevin's Noodle Houses? There's a new one opening in WC on the 10th...

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Anyone ever eat at one of the Kevin's Noodle Houses? There's a new one opening in WC on the 10th...
Not a fan of KNH. Broth looks grimey...

People gotta try Bun Bo Hue,
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Korean food. Kalbi and marinated chicken is on point, bugolgi is average
grin.gif
, kimchi fried rice with spam is 6.25+tax
pimp.gif
with chicken, beef, or pork is an additional $1.

Prices are pretty cheap, worth a try.
Update with pics (Plates with beef/pork/chicken come with japchae, noodles):

ebaf75ea1ed511e180c9123138016265_7.jpg
^^^Where?

^Daly City Bart Grocery. It's a convenient store, but it's a sleeper. Hole in the wall for sure 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by LB510

Anyone know of any good spots to eat out in Vegas? I'm going next week.
nerd.gif
Wynn buffet is good.

But I also hear their Chinatown has a lot to offer, although off the strip. If you're looking for cheap eats, Earl of Sandwich @ Planet Hollywood. Pink's was definitely not worth the price, not that great.

LB510 - You gotta go to Cafe Moda. Their sisig is off the hook.
2a60bco.jpg

Also the buffet at the M is good too. Unlimited beer/wine is included.

Back
Top Bottom