Norcal's GRUB Thread

Brenda's French Soul Food on Polk and Eddy, right next to Taco Bell/KFC. Tried them out last week, theyre right by my spot. They are the TRUTH. You HAVE totry their gumbo and above all else, get their Croque Monsieur. It's like a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich.

http://www.frenchsoulfood.com/

I have to give props for NT for telling me about Wingstop. After I read about it here, I checked it out. Wings are crazy. Garlic parmesan all the way. Theyhave spots all over the Bay.

Originally Posted by ThrowbacksInSF

Oh and Jake's Steaks in the Marina hood of SF. On Buchanan between Chestnut and Lombard. A nice alternative to the cheesesteak shop on Divis....they serve it with Cheese Whiz here.

http://www.jakessteaks.net/

Jake's Steaks is the truth. Gotta ease up on the Whiz sometimes though. They slab it on there heavy.

Originally Posted by L4NDO

I have to give props for NT for telling me about Wingstop. After I read about it here, I checked it out. Wings are crazy. Garlic parmesan all the way. They have spots all over the Bay.

SpotsForDates.com

Lemon Pepper
pimp.gif

Those yogurt spots that are so popular in SoCal have made their way to the Bay. About 5-6 of them opened in the past 6 months in SF alone. But Icebee is onpoint. It's underneath the 5th and Mission garage, across the street from Westfield. Get the Mango Tart
pimp.gif
. But if you're gonna get any fruit flavorsdon't mix it with Vanilla.

bringing this back to page 1!

talking to a friend about food in the city, just remembered Anh Hong - 7 Course Beef. they got several locations around the bay. Hope this hasnt been mentionedyet
http://www.anhhong.com/

great vietnamese food, a bit pricey but guaranteed you will get full

Don't know if this has been added but Hard Knox Cafe on 3rd Street (cross st is 22nd) nr Potrero Hill/Bayview. Soulfood- fried chicken, corn bread breaded catfish, cajun meatloaf, etc. Grab a pillow, because you'll need to take a nap after eating here.

i went there once and it was amazing. the corn muffins were on point. had the fried chicken w/ mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. ended up sleeping on thebart ride home haha. i definitely wanna go back there again.

Originally Posted by LORENander

Don't know if this has been added but Hard Knox Cafe on 3rd Street (cross st is 22nd) nr Potrero Hill/Bayview. Soulfood- fried chicken, corn bread breaded catfish, cajun meatloaf, etc. Grab a pillow, because you'll need to take a nap after eating here.

i went there once and it was amazing. the corn muffins were on point. had the fried chicken w/ mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. ended up sleeping on the bart ride home haha. i definitely wanna go back there again.

They have another location on Clement now, between 25th and 26th on northside of the block

Originally Posted by thatjiggadpg

all you Kinder's fans. Just letting you know that my uncle just opened up a kinders in fremont off of auto mall in pacific commons. Its on the other side of costco in the same complex as Jo-Ann fabrics off of Boscell
yo check out the chinese restaurant to its right, it's called food talk cafe. my uncle and his boi opened it up about the same time. you can getstuff ranging from shanghai dumplings to noodles to peking duck. their peking duck is absolute crack

i cook for a living and therefore am pretty picky with my food. these following spots will not disappoint. trust me. here's my 2 cents

ANH HONG(vietnamese, geary and leavenworth). try their 7 courses of beef
ANA MANDARA (vietnamese, ghiradelli square). shameless plug because i used to cook there lol. try the claypot fish
fish n chips: CAMELOT (manor in pacifica) is THE best
dim sum: KOI PALACE (serramonte). shanghai dumplings ftw
pasta: CAFE SPORT (columbus and green in north beach). it gets no better, 4-cheese seafood pasta and scampi are both a must. plus they give you free dippinthat's crack
NAMU (asian fusion, balboa between 4th and 5th). kitchen closes at 1am, resident dj spins nothing but hip hop. best loco moco i've ever had. ever. rare tofind a high end spot open this late
TOMMY'S JOINT (van ness and geary) for your hof-brau foods. and 100's of kinds of beer.
MARCO POLO (taravel around 25th ave) for gelato. many exotic flavors you cant find elsewhere, such as soursop, durian, guava, etc.
NIPPON SUSHI (skyline and manor in dc/pacifica) for cheap sushi. place is kinda grimy but it's a bargain.
GOLDEN DOOR (?) BAKERY (grant between pacific and broadway) for egg custard tarts. 2x as expensive as other bakeries, but 2x as good
STACKS (burlingame) for your breakfast needs.
SUSHI ROCK (polk or grant) or KOBE SAKE (crystal springs and el camino real) usually has very good quality sushi. any spot that has toro regularly is good inmy book.
RUTH CHRIS' (van ness) for steaks. usda prime, son. nuff said.
ZUNI CAFE (hayes valley), best roasted chicken in sf for years running. it's hyped up for a reason.

i'll add more later...

Hit up Farmer Brown, Mason @ Market, in the TL. shady spot to have a fairly decent restaurant. Good food and good music while dining. price is a bit over thetop for soul food in the city. They've got happy hour m-f 5-7, and they got this special every night i think, after 10 PM Fried chicken and pint of beerfor $15. 4 out of 5 stars from me.

sauce on golf st has great desert. i had a gunniess mils shake last night that was the ++%$

Sup_

ANH HONG(vietnamese, geary and leavenworth). try their 7 courses of beef
You know wussup. My mom knows the owner. Best 7 course beef hands down.

Asian Pearl in Pacific East Mall in Richmondhas some pretty good dim sum.

Peace.

Originally Posted by ThrowbacksInSF

Those yogurt spots that are so popular in SoCal have made their way to the Bay. About 5-6 of them opened in the past 6 months in SF alone. But Icebee is on point. It's underneath the 5th and Mission garage, across the street from Westfield. Get the Mango Tart
pimp.gif
. But if you're gonna get any fruit flavors don't mix it with Vanilla.
Icebee is ok.. but you need to check out Yogurtouille in Downtown San Mateo.
Trust me, if you're into this style of yogurt your head will flip when you walk into this place.
I've been to these styles of yogurt places in Japan, NYC, LA, and the Bay Area, and i've yet to see a place do it the way Yogurtouille did their setup.

Originally Posted by Soundb0mbing

Ain't Hard Knox run by Vietnamese folks? Asians making soul food is like Mexicans rolling sushi.

They do
laugh.gif
. A lot of japanese restaraunts have mexican cooks.

Originally Posted by GrandaddyPurp415

Anybody ever eat at Roy's Hawaiian Fusion. Kinda upscale but hella good??
Been to the one in Hawaii, but not the one in the City.

Back
Top Bottom