Norcal's GRUB Thread

Leaving the Bay Area - need to come up with a food bucket list. So far Ike's, El Farolito, In N Out, Angelines - need some help rounding it out - any ideas are welcome - just looking for experiences not easily replicated

Originally Posted by kapstone

Leaving the Bay Area - need to come up with a food bucket list. So far Ike's, El Farolito, In N Out, Angelines - need some help rounding it out - any ideas are welcome - just looking for experiences not easily replicated

ice cream: bi- rite, mitchells, and/or humphry slocombe. 

I like PollyAnn's icecream. Green tea and Taro is 
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by SuckaFreeBay

Originally Posted by TiDE619

Hall of Flame is alright if you live at Park Merced and don't drive. If you do drive and want a better burger, I say hit up Burgermeister in West Lake. That was my go-to burger spot (waaaaaay better than Nation's). However, after moving to the Inner Sunset, I have to say that Jenny's Burger is by far the best burger I've had in San Francisco. Sorry there's no pics, but you kinda just have to try it for yourself because I PROMISE pics won't do it any justice.

Ahhhh...The Inner Sunset. I miss the old hood- fog included. No place like it I tell ya. Anyhoo...never been to Jenny's. I need to try it one day. That location used to be Slider's which was my old reliable so I'm assuming they still use the rotating grill? Darla's was also a good spot for a juicy burger too but I've heard they fell off somewhat lately.
yup, they still got that rotating grill. its 
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Luong1209

San Tung! Their chicken wings and potstickers are ALWAYS appreciated.

The hype is definitely warranted with San Tung. Dried Fried Wings are indeed crack. Now that I think about it I really haven't had a bad dish from there. Yummy Yummy next door for a pho fix was the lick too.

Originally Posted by SuckaFreeBay

San Tung! Their chicken wings and potstickers are ALWAYS appreciated.

The hype is definitely warranted with San Tung. Dried Fried Wings are indeed crack. Now that I think about it I really haven't had a bad dish from there. Yummy Yummy next door for a pho fix was the lick too.
I like Yummy Yummy's imperial rolls.

Originally Posted by LORENander

eek.gif
pimp.gif
you had me at taro. thanks for bringing this to my attention. 
You wont regret it! Ask them for a sample too (if you haven't gone yet).

Haven't been to yummy yummy in years
laugh.gif
. How much is a bowl of pho now-a-days there?

Call me crazy but I didn't care too much for Yummy Yummy. Maybe I have a difference taste preference but the 5 spice chicken pho at Perilla is a game changer

Originally Posted by DimSum9

any good joints around san jose/milpitas?
depends on what youre in the mood for. for soul food, i heard lillie mae's by the airport isnt too shabby. they opened up a new boiling crab off tully at the plant, but the waits are still an ungodly amount of time. five guys is also in the same complex if you want burgers. i mentioned earlier in this thread about sushi/seafood buffets, such as tomi in eastridge, as well as some other NTers talking about other places to hit up. they have ayce sushi at sushi factory in milpitas. been there once, but i personally liked sushi infinity close to hp pavilion a lot more. 
my favorite place to grab dim sum/chinese food in the milpitas area is moongate garden off dixon landing and milpitas blvd. surprisingly their service isnt too bad for a chinese restaurant. king crab going away from mccarthy ranch has decent chinese food too, but the dim sum is eh. good place to take the fam though. 

havent had too many burritos in san jose beside la vics and iguanas. i like iguanas much better, but the sauces from either spot are fine with me. i just hate having to make friends with my toilet the next morning
mad.gif

laugh.gif
. taqueria las vegas is close to moongate, and they serve carne asada fries. the fries are thick, not steak fries thick, so if youre looking for the mcdonalds size fries, dont bother. theres a bunch of pho spots close to campus that are open late, but it seems everyone goes to pho hoa. while were on the topic, grab some king eggrolls either off lundy or story. im filipino, but i wouldnt mind bringing that to a fam party and saying its lumpia haha. 

been awhile since i last went to smokeeaters/cluck u/university chicken, whatever its called these days, but it was whatever to me.   

i hate posting in this thread because i get hungry 
laugh.gif
. id write more but hope this helps. im sure other folks will contribute as well. 

Originally Posted by kamakazipnoygt

Any specific type of food?
anything, im pretty open minded to all types. Im a bit tired of smokeeaters, its kind of my weekly thing , catching tender/winger nights. 

Originally Posted by LORENander

eek.gif
pimp.gif
you had me at taro. thanks for bringing this to my attention. 
You wont regret it! Ask them for a sample too (if you haven't gone yet).
Try their Strawberry Mango

For Mexican food, I go to Taqueria Eduardo in SJ( they have 3 locations but I go to the one on McKee Rd.) specifically for their carnitas super burrito. I haven't tried anything else besides that. I used to go to Taqueria Las Vegas as mentioned by LORENander, but after Taqueria Eduardo I haven't gone since, although they don't have carne asada fries.
For dim sum, Try Hong Kong Saigon Seafood Harbor in Sunnyvale. It's always packed there starting Friday. My parents go there almost every week. 

for people in the south bay! this is great especially if the off the grids in sf are out of your reach!
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=200294173327693
[table][tr][th=""]Time[/th][td]
Saturday, April 2 · 11:30am - 9:00pm
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Location[/th][td]
Fallon House Parking Lot
Almaden Av and Saint John St

San Jose, CA
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Created By[/th][td]
SJ Eats
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]More Info[/th][td]
Some of the best food trucks and carts across the Bay come to Downtown San Jose. Silog plates, short rib burritos, samosas, lobster rolls, horchata ice cream and more. Free admission. Follow us on Twitter @sjeats.

Held in conjunction with SJ Made vendor fair held on the same block:www.sanjosemade.com.

If you have a food truck and are interested in participating, email eatssj@gmail.com

CONFIRMED TRUCKS & CARTS
Treatbot
MoGo BBQ
Chairman Bao
The Wow
Kara's Cupcakes
Bill's Beer Steamed Hot Dog Cart
Hapa SF
Roli Roti
Curry Up Now
Little Green Cyclo
Sam's Chowdermobile
Louisiana Territory

and many more to come!

[/td][/tr][/table]

I never know where to find food trucks in sf...
frown.gif

Nice to see more people participating in this thread, keep it up! I visit frequently
happy.gif

I never know where to find food trucks in sf...
frown.gif

Nice to see more people participating in this thread, keep it up! I visit frequently
happy.gif

every corner in the mission,

off the grid, new location every day, DUH !

I'm all the way up at upper mission 
tired.gif
...Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, and damn lazy to drive down there 
laugh.gif

i think, some of the food trucks use Twitter and Facebook to announce their location sometimes.

i dont have either, but im pretty sure most of you do if that helps

Back
Top Bottom