NT, Are You a Negro? (New Census Category)

[h2]Are You a Negro?[/h2]
20100106_censusform_146x97.jpg

Photo: nydn.com

The census form for 2010 features a word more often heard in 1966: Negro.

For many New York blacks, the word conjures visionsof Jim Crow and segregation - even if the Census Bureau says it's included to ensure an accurate count of the nation's minority residents.
"It's a bad vibe word," said KevinBishop, 45, a Brooklyn salesman. "It doesn't agree with me, doesn't agree with my heart."
Pamela Reese Smith, visiting thecity yesterday from Rochester, said the term wasoutdated.
"I don't think my ancestors would appreciate it in 2010," said Smith, 56. "I don't want my grandchildren being called Negroes."
Question No. 9 on this year's census form asks about race, with one of the answers listed as "black, African-Am. or Negro."
Census Bureau spokesman Jack Martin said the useof "Negro" was intended as term of inclusion.

A Census spokesman says the word was included this year, as in previous years, because "many older African-Americans identified themselves that way, andmany still do." Eh ... we think a description that only said "Black, African Am." would be pretty self-explanatory, too. [NYDN]

Personally, I don't see the difference between Negro and Black, African Am. So why include Negro in the first place?

Read more: Are You a Negro? -- Daily Intel http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/01/are_you_a_negro.html#ixzz0brcHm9H5

yea its pretty redundant.....but i always wondered would an immigrant white person from south africa be considered african american in the states?

i wonder if blacks would get mad if it said N (with the a at the end) since a bunch of you call each other that on the regular

Funny how we can be so ahead in some things and so behind in others. This is something you'd assume would happen during the 60s.

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

yea its pretty redundant.....but i always wondered would an immigrant white person from south africa be considered african american in the states?

laugh.gif
i always pondered about this as well.

why is "african-american" even listed as a race? it's clearly not one.

also, they added indigenous as a race this year i think which makes sense.

Originally Posted by OctobersFinest

A Census spokesman says the word was included this year, as in previous years, because "many older White-Americans identified African Americans that way, and many still do."

fixed
smh.gif

Originally Posted by OctobersFinest

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorg3

would it be better if the census had n___a listed instead?
Why would this be better?
Ask Jay Z, TI, Snoop, Luda or pretty much any other rapper. It's been spun into something positive, right?

Originally Posted by J Dilla Himself

i wonder if blacks would get mad if it said N (with the a at the end) since a bunch of you call each other that on the regular

Yea but a bunch of us dont say it at all to

I am negro though, I am black. I rather be called negro than African American.

If they have Negro on there, then they must include Caucasian, Mongolian, etc. then it would be ok.

Originally Posted by Tinchy Stryder

I'm Turkish..thanks for asking.

Reading comprehension fail.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

I am negro though, I am black. I rather be called negro than African American.
eek.gif

Never thought I'd hear anyone every say something like that, just based on the connotations. That said, I understand where you're coming from.

What's the point of having to identify your race on a census anyway? Race is subjective and has no real meaning so why are we still using it to classifypeople. Everyone should leave that question blank.

In repsonse to the last line in OP's post - I agree there is no difference - the ppl at the Bureau knew what the were doing, maybe it's some type oftactic to get attention for the survey or something
I remember in JHS they had these folks come up and give us a long lecture on how "you can't be deported for what you put on the survey..."

Back
Top Bottom