NT, Are You a Negro? (New Census Category)

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

yea its pretty redundant.....but i always wondered would an immigrant white person from south africa be considered african american in the states?
laugh.gif
i always pondered about this as well.
Yes. Charlize Theron always finds a way to mention how she's African American in interviews. I want to smash.

Originally Posted by eghckk

What's the point of having to identify your race on a census anyway? Race is subjective and has no real meaning so why are we still using it to classify people. Everyone should leave that question blank.
money is also a human construct, yet economic status plays a huge role in one's life.

race is no different.

was da big deal with da term negro? its literally da same word as black in spanish "negro"

..... look at the big picture, why do they still care what race i am to begin with?..... does it really matter that we know City A has x% of this race and CityB has y% of that race..... i dunno, i'm not in that line of work so someone please explain why they need to know what race i am.

What's the point of having to identify your race on a census anyway? Race is subjective and has no real meaning so why are we still using it to classify people. Everyone should leave that question blank.

Which is why I don't check the "race section" of anything...

- At least it didn't say 'colored'
sick.gif
eyes.gif
sick.gif
...........orsomething else
nerd.gif

- People are getting brash again in these recent years.
grin.gif

grin.gif

ninjahood wrote:
was da big deal with da term negro? its literally da same word as black in spanish "negro"

Which means "black object". When it was first given it was meant to emphasize that blacks were less than human.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

ninjahood wrote:

Which means "black object". When it was first given it was meant to emphasize that blacks were less than human.
yet african americans wanna be called black.....*throws hands up*

Originally Posted by J Dilla Himself

i wonder if blacks would get mad if it said N (with the a at the end) since a bunch of you call each other that on the regular

laugh.gif

i think if they put black instead of negro it would have been better.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

"Now around this time, Whites started callings us Negroes,
That's Spanish for black object meaning we're not really people... but property"

ummmmm am i missing something here?

"negro" may have been used to degrade blacks, but i'm a native spanish speaker and "negro" definitely means "black," not"black object."

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

money is also a human construct, yet economic status plays a huge role in one's life.

race is no different.
Completely invalid argument. The original census only asked the question of race to determine one's status in society "white" meantyou were a free man and eligible to vote and "black" meant you were a slave. They should of done away with this question when slavery was abolishedbecause the question is extremely racist in nature. Considering this countries history in regards to race, when I'm asked to identify my race I make theassumption that the answer I provide will be used against me more than it will be used to help me. So I don't provide that information. Skin colorisn't the only physical trait by which people differ therefore knowing whether or not I self identify as a black person, colored person, negro etc. is nomore important than knowing what my eye color is. It's useless information. Knowing what someones race is has no bearing on the quality of anyone'slife or their ability to function and prosper within society, economic status on the other hand does. There's a limit to the amount of economic resourcesavailable for ALL humans, it doesn't matter what your skin color is. Our society makes decisions on how to produce and allocateeconomic resources through the economic status information we provide in a census and nothing else. Any additional information given serves what purpose asidefrom giving someone a reason to discriminate against me?

When you're asked to identify your race, it can also help you. Affirmitive action is the first thing that comes to mind.

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

yea its pretty redundant.....but i always wondered would an immigrant white person from south africa be considered african american in the states?

laugh.gif
i always pondered about this as well.
Thats a good question.

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by J Dilla Himself

i wonder if blacks would get mad if it said N (with the a at the end) since a bunch of you call each other that on the regular
Since when are you not black?

never said i wasnt, though

they should put "kinfoe" as a race...

lol...

*waits for the holy black folks to chastize me for my ignorance*...

smh...

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

ummmmm am i missing something here?

"negro" may have been used to degrade blacks, but i'm a native spanish speaker and "negro" definitely means "black," not "black object."
i told cats this.

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Originally Posted by ninjahood

"Now around this time, Whites started callings us Negroes,
That's Spanish for black object meaning we're not really people... but property"

ras-kass2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom