NT, convince me "cutting the cord" is a good idea

I was so ready to ditch the cord. Then YouTube raised it prices and dropped local Fox Sports channels. So I can't watch most of the Miami Heat games. I don't really seeing a la carte happening when HULU, SLing, and Youtube TV do bad bundles just like the cable companies. Its a shame really.

Literally just signed up for Hulu Live TV last month. Grand opening, grand closing. Heading back to YTTV since their interface is light years ahead of Hulu. Plus NBATv.

Thankfully my ISP knocked down my gigabit fiber cost $20/month to offset these price hikes.

Currently have a setup like this:

Netflix: use my brother account
Hulu: mine, dont have the Live tv one
AT&T: Grandfathered in the Watch AT&T tv service (free)

I am looking into subscribing to FuboTv?? Especially since it carries a lot of sports options. Has anyone used it? if so thoughts?

Cut the cord a few months and got Sling for live sports. Cheaper alternative, no more steadily increasing "service charges" and I can pause the service during the Summer months when there's no NBA, NFL, NCAA on. It's working well so far.

The problem is regional sports channels don’t stay consistent year to year across streaming services, and sometimes it’s not “okay I’ll go to YouTube TV” if Hulu drops Bally’s, it’s like you gotta do AT&T Streaming to get Bally’s streamed. Gross.

Hilarious how I started this thread many years ago and I still have cable, but I have pretty much every streaming service available. Do I use cable TV? Nope, only to watch live sports, sometimes.

Very proud of you and can't thank you enough for keeping the cord intact.

Sling and NBA Sports couldn't come up with a deal so they cut Warriors games(channel) like a month and a half ago smh. No cheaper alternative available. Sling is by far the best with the options. How long it'll lasts remain to be seen.

Sling cut NBC Washington so I can’t watch Wizards games. Had me scrolling like a mad man like what’s going on :lol:

It seems ya in a limbo right now like me.

cut cable about a yr and half ago.

had sling but cut that in jan 2021. So my sports intake has been streaming it off these terrible illegal sites. And its tough doing it on the smart tv’s browser.

legit looking into fubotv or YTTV. But damn these prices.

Jacked mom dukes spectrum but it restricts all live sports except on fs1.
And like 25% of the channels are available. All becuase i have to be linked to the wifi connected to cable.

im suffering without my sports ya.

YouTube TV is offering $54.99/month for the first 12 months for new subscribers.

Definitely try different browsers as I was getting 3 months for Chrome and 12 months for Safari.

Gonna cut it this week. I have all of these channels that I don't watch and I mainly stay on the streaming services. Sports is the biggest thing though.

Anyone have Fubo?? I live in the Seattle area and one of the big reasons I still have Xfinity is for Root Sports but I see Fubo has it now. Only real drawback I see is lack of TNT/TBS but luckily I can mooch off my parents account.

Cutting the chord is not worth it (to me).

I’d rather just figure out a way to earn $1,000 more a year or take one three day less vacation a year.

What I’m currently paying (yikes):

Xfinity (cable + internet): $128
Netflix: $18
HBO: $15
Disney/Hulu/ESPN+: $20
DAZN: $20 (not sure cancelling)
Amazon: Included with prime

Really depends on how much you're paying for internet, if you're getting internet tv like sling or youtube tv, and then what streaming apps you want.

Our ISP has a lifetime guaranteed price of $65 for a gigabit connection, uncapped. For the $180 I was paying Verizon for preferred cable + internet (300 mbps).

Internet - $65
YouTube TV (w/ 4k add-on) - $65 + $20
D+/Hulu/ESPN - $20
I split Netflix and premium channels with others for another $30ish.

We are still in the early stages of the streaming wars. Once more players enter the market we’ll see more pricing discrimination/tiered offerings that will put traditional cable down for good. Very interesting competitive landscape especially when you factor in net neutrality.

Back
Top Bottom