NT Detectives...In dire need of someone's skills....edited with story

To put a very long story short, I got duped for 2K. Just found out 15 minutes ago, and my head is spinning so fast I can't grab hold of what I can do. For anyone willing to help by finding addresses, names, etc of a certain person, please let me know. I will be happy to relay information your way during the process.

I know the point of the forum is for an open discussion, but I also don't want to put my foot in my mouth and say something I shouldn't be saying. It's unfortunate that I am an idiot and didn't take EVERY SINGLE precaution, but I was fairly cautious....which makes it worse I suppose.

Any takers?

|I

Last edited:
9 posts in 11 years. :wow:

It would be best to just post all the information you have. Most people are not going to PM.

You need to tell the story in full detail and post everything you know about this cat here in this forum if you want anything to be done.

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that man. I remember your SN too from waaaaaaaaaaaaay back, I hope everything works out in your favor. If any more info is posted up I can try and help in some way I can.

Posts were lost in the move, but yes, been around a long damn time. Extended family here for sure.

I'll start typing out the story. Damn sure wasn't going to have a wall of text with 75 responses of TL;DR, gifs, and whatnot :x

I decided I needed a change from the career path I was in. I decided to quit and start the hunt for something that would allow me a bit more happiness. Little did I realize, jobs are harder to find than I had originally thought. Stupid move in hindsight, yes I agree.

Fast forward through looking for jobs for 2 months when I stumbled upon a listing on CL for a “Personal Assistant”. Like most listings on CL, it was very vague and are generally made to garner attention. The ad:

An upbeat personal administrative assistant to manage busy calender prepare for upcoming events, travel, manage expenses, and provide good customer service must be computer literate must be proficient in EXCEL and WORD have good verbal and writing organizational skills and have the ability to analyze information and problem solve.

Willingness to learn basics of Word Press and send out cards. PART-TIME ( PT) leading to FULL-TIME

Telecommuting is ok.
This is a part-time job.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

I replied to ad asking for more information, in detail, and gave a brief overview of my credentials. The response I get mentions he is an art dealer of some sort and lists details such as make travel arrangements, order office supplies, receive and send packages, pay bills, etc. It pays $300/week and I get to do all these errands from home while staying in communication by phone/email. I took it considering I am between jobs.

I am notified a couple days later that I will be receiving a check for $1980. I am to deduct my “salary” from said check, and then notify him when I have done so. After my bank clears the check last Monday (Oct 8th), he informs me that I will need to send a payment of $1530 to a supplier of his in the Phillipines. I thought it was shady off the bat, but why not? He’s paid me, the check has cleared, so I went ahead with it.

I send the money on Tuesday (Oct 9th). After informing him that the task was finished, he started to make small talk. Asking me what I was doing the rest of the day, what my dogs names were, etc. It was very weird since this person seemed all business, all the time.

The next day, he asks me to send a cashiers check of $20 to a person in NY. After doing so, he needs me to scan the check for his records. I decide to take a picture with my phone and email it instead. After sending several pictures, he is satisfied and I move on.

During our continuous dialog, he tells me he is in France at the moment and will be in Houston on the 15th and wants to schedule a meeting for the 16th. I am very cautious about meeting random people from the interwebz (thanks NT!) so I drop 20 questions on him. He replies with everything I would want to hear. “I want you to meet who you are working for. You’ll get your next assignment. You can pick the place so you are comfortable.” Again, my nervousness I had before was creeping up again, but he extinguished them right away. Still a bit skeptical, I agreed.

Now today, I get a text while I am on the phone with my girlfriend. My dad and I use the same bank. He informs me that a mutual friend (who works at the bank) needs to talk to me urgently. I call 2 minutes after his text. She tells me the check for $1980 “came back” and was marked as fraudulent. My savings and checking accounts will be garnished to reflect this.

At this point, it has sunk in. I’ve been had. I am kind of in the emotional state beyond being mad. So mad that I am silent.

I call the numbers I have for him. What do you know? Turned off or disconnected.

Now I know I’ll be put on a stake for making these errors. I probably should have stopped when I got nervous the first time. I didn’t, and this is what I get. Trust me, I feel like a fool…no need to rub that in.

All the info I have is here:
“William Jones”
(205) 258-1025
(347) 460-2719
greyhunter1975@gmail.com

I know the (205) is Clanton, AL and (347) is NYC.

That’s pretty much it. If anything comes up that I missed, I’ll gladly answer it.

/dear diary :wink:

SOL

was his english broken? :nerd:

anyways it all fake info and probably pre paid phones, you arent getting your money back.

SOL
was his english broken? :nerd:
anyways it all fake info and probably pre paid phones, you arent getting your money back.

I figured that as well, but the quick search I did mentioned landlines. I know that's not always the case since thats the default response to a search on cellphones.

damn it isnt even safe after the check clears?
mean.gif

sorry to hear about that man remember you and your af1 collection from back in the day. hopefully youre able to find this person.

OP, chances are dude lives in NY or Nigeria, plus I highly doubt thats his real info. sorry for your loss son.

Some people in this world really suck. :smh: I am sorry to hear about this tragic event, OP.

With my story out there, at least more people know about it.

Major L, I know.

Sad part is, I still can't sell my remaining collection because of another court case (civil). :x

Son I stopped reading at art dealer and will tell you this is another kind of nigerian scam. A few months ago I applied for a job on cl and I got an email describing the same thing you probably got told. I didn't bother replying and just deleted it, cause I knew something was off. Best of luck to you man.

Last edited:
where you from op?...ive a posting for a job like that in the ny craigslist.. probally them nigerians smh

Back
Top Bottom