NT Federal Employees, what's good with your TSP's???

I have recently started with the DoD and I am in the midst of going over my TSP paperwork.  I was wondering what you all are doing.  Are you playing it safe in the "G" fund or are you being a little risky?  Still trying to figure this thing out.

** TSP is analogous to 401K, for those who are not with the Feds but want to chime in.

I have recently started with the DoD and I am in the midst of going over my TSP paperwork.  I was wondering what you all are doing.  Are you playing it safe in the "G" fund or are you being a little risky?  Still trying to figure this thing out.

** TSP is analogous to 401K, for those who are not with the Feds but want to chime in.

L2040 playa.  G fund is a waste of your time, you're losing money based on inflation.  you're not gonna retire for like 30 years so even if the market goes down you'll have plenty of time to make it up.

L2040 playa.  G fund is a waste of your time, you're losing money based on inflation.  you're not gonna retire for like 30 years so even if the market goes down you'll have plenty of time to make it up.

Preciate that fam. Ive been hearing that L2040 talk is the best move for someone just starting out. Im going to change that up 2moro.

Preciate that fam. Ive been hearing that L2040 talk is the best move for someone just starting out. Im going to change that up 2moro.

I'm 30 in C, I, S (think it's S lol) and 5 in G and L2040. What should I change. I'm 22.

I'm 30 in C, I, S (think it's S lol) and 5 in G and L2040. What should I change. I'm 22.

For you guys that don't know lifecycle funds (L2010, L2020, etc) will allocate to the various sectors c, i, f, g, etc...  as you get closer to retirement it will become more conservative for you (meaning more g fund), but as you start out it will be more aggressive with c fund, i fund, etc.

For you guys that don't know lifecycle funds (L2010, L2020, etc) will allocate to the various sectors c, i, f, g, etc...  as you get closer to retirement it will become more conservative for you (meaning more g fund), but as you start out it will be more aggressive with c fund, i fund, etc.

Good call Blazin, the G Fund is more like .25% returns. Basically nothing. Im going into that lifecycle 2morow!

Good call Blazin, the G Fund is more like .25% returns. Basically nothing. Im going into that lifecycle 2morow!

Wow good to see other DoD employees here. I was a DoD contractor in Operation Iraqi Freedom,  but now I JUST got the official word last week...I'm going full on Fed Gov't Employee. I hear so much of the Thrift Savings Plan, I guess I'll get more info during orientation, but my fellow DoD'ers on NT please fill me in...in laymen terms so I will at least have an idea what's going on during orientation 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Wow good to see other DoD employees here. I was a DoD contractor in Operation Iraqi Freedom,  but now I JUST got the official word last week...I'm going full on Fed Gov't Employee. I hear so much of the Thrift Savings Plan, I guess I'll get more info during orientation, but my fellow DoD'ers on NT please fill me in...in laymen terms so I will at least have an idea what's going on during orientation 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

NUPE,

I just started myself and finished orientation a couple of weeks ago.  I didnt learn much at all about the TSP through that orientation.  I just talked it through with some of my friends and family.  To be honest I as am still unsure about it.  But I will be going into L2040.  Where are you stationed at?

Back
Top Bottom