NT, How big of a problem is NBA/referee corruption?

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Ugh. It's only become a "problem" because we have 876 HD cameras capturing every angle of every play in every game. The NBA has always had inconsistent to downright inexcusable officiating. We live in a 24/7 news cycle now, so awareness is heightened. Example: could you imagine if a team got to shoot 64 free throws in a Game 7 in 2012? The media firestorm would be relentless. But it's a footnote in history at this point because that game happened in a bygone era. There are plenty of other examples of this, but it's not just officials, it's the media and all of us on message boards being able to talk about it.

Are you kidding me? People have been complaining about the refs before games were broadcasted in HD. Donaghy admitted to calling fouls on certain players in order to rig games.  The problem isn't even getting ALL of the calls right, it's the phantom calls that are made and blatant calls that are missed within the last 5 minutes of the game.  I won't go so far as to say every game is rigged/fixed, but it's pretty interesting how the past few finals have been the teams that draw the highest ratings...
My point is it's become a more VISIBLE problem. It's always been a problem (hence the example I gave), but you never hear about it because it happened in an era that wasn't as heavily scrutinized. Not even ten years later, there was Kings vs. Lakers Game 6, which everyone treats as the gold standard of a rigged game. But that's the because the media had completely changed by then, and more people were able to access it and watch. There was a lot more scrutiny. Imagine that game being played out the same way today.

people who refute the corruption are trolling...

the non calls and phantom calls are troubling to watch... I dont HAVE cable so I usually stream the game but I can still see a foul or LeBron throwing the ball into the backside of the backboard through the pixelation.

how do you not see Rondo catch the Mandible claw by Wade?

ALL I KNOW THE KNICKS HAVENT HAD A FAVORABLE CALL SINCE THE 4PT PLAY

i hate it when the guy closest to the play doesnt make the call and the guy out of position does it for him, whether he is right or wrong. you are standing right there and still miss the call?

i dont think refs can control whether a team wins or loses because they dont put the ball in the hoop, but I will say that if we know a refs name its a problem lol

Missed calls happen EVERYWHERE. 

Or maybe you think Johan Santana really threw a no hitter, or that Galaraga did not. 

Or the billions of interpretive calls in defensive secondaries, or hits on the QB, legit catches vs bobbles, etc etc etc. 

The NBA has missed calls, but it's the only sport that has something built in that takes players out of the game.  Hence, the truer issue.  Tom Brady don't ever need to sit with 4 flags for illegal head nods, he just loses 5 yards everytime he does it.  But call 2 fouls in 45 seconds on Ibaka vs the Spurs, and suddenly he can't play half the game.  That's a HUGE factor. 

Timing on free throws as well.  In a game, you can foul 4 times PER quarter without giving up a single free throw.  16 fouls, no free throws, IF you foul at the right times.  Flip that around.  If all four of those fouls is on shots, now you have 16 fouls, and 32 free throws, before a team gets in the penalty.  Refs can't be trackin that *%@! thru their brain all day while they running up and down the wood and watching the clocks, the scorekeepers, listening to players, fans and coaches all yell and scream over even obvious calls and really go crazy over semi obvious ones.  Come on. 

NBA playoffs = more drama = more eyes watching = more talk.  Same games played in December when nobody watching = lot less talk.  That's why EVERY conspiracy theory revolves around playoff time.  Guess the refs flip a switch too. 
laugh.gif

Are there bad calls?  Yes.  Bad trends?  Yes.  Make up calls?  Yes.  Same as every single other sport?  Yes. 

So everyone calm the hell down. 

but you just explained that it has more of an impact in basketball than any other sport by far. so how you gonna end it with "calm down". people aint watching to see pierce and Durant on the bench. what other sport takes out big players so fast?
imagine Brady out with 3 flags 
laugh.gif
 fans would revolt.

i think its rigged w/ point spreads/totals during the season.....not all games but certain ones

Originally Posted by DubA169

Originally Posted by Stillmatic23

Rondo getting smacked in the face wasn't visible to the naked eye? You guys are really buggin.

stop hating

Are you going to answer the question? Or are you going to keep trolling this entire thread?

the fact that we know the names of certain refs and have an idea of the way they call games says alot to me.

the simple fact that people think the draft is rigged, there's problems with referees in the nba, and that people feel its corrupt is a bad enough black eye for the NBA.

you don't hear about these type of problems in the other 3 major professional sports. i know the names of a bunch of nba refs for all the wrong reasons, i could name about 2 nfl refs, 1 mlb umpire, and no nhl refs while i know way more then i should know about nba refs.

but you just explained that it has more of an impact in basketball than any other sport by far. so how you gonna end it with "calm down".   
It's IN the game.  Fouls are a part of the game.  Not the case in other sports.  My point being, the refs aren't worse than other sports, just different set of rules in terms of effect on the actual players. 

When you boil it down, balls and strikes calls are no worse than holding calls in the NFL vs foul calls in the NBA.  Probably 50 calls a game in all sports incorrect, we only notice fouls cuz they impact the players moreso than the flow of the game.  Miss a strike call, game keeps going, players don't have to sit on the bench.  Holding call costs 10 yards, but not the player.  Reach in foul could cost a player 10 minutes of playing time, hence, bigger deal and blown way out of proportion by folks. 

Originally Posted by mdwst9

i dont think refs can control whether a team wins or loses because they dont put the ball in the hoop, but I will say that if we know a refs name its a problem lol

They can't literally make a team win, but they can foul out/eject a team's star player(s) to change the complexion of the game.  You can't deny that if a ref ejects Durant and/or Westbrook before the half-time, it doesn't give the Heat a big advantage going into the 3rd and 4th quarter.  That's what we mean by rigging/fixing games, the refs are calling fouls and missing calls for certain players/teams, which gives the other team an advantage...

David Stern reminds me of some of the guys who run big Wall St banks.

What does this have to do with the topic? I'm not sure lol

Originally Posted by CP1708

but you just explained that it has more of an impact in basketball than any other sport by far. so how you gonna end it with "calm down".   
It's IN the game.  Fouls are a part of the game.  Not the case in other sports.  My point being, the refs aren't worse than other sports, just different set of rules in terms of effect on the actual players. 

When you boil it down, balls and strikes calls are no worse than holding calls in the NFL vs foul calls in the NBA.  Probably 50 calls a game in all sports incorrect, we only notice fouls cuz they impact the players moreso than the flow of the game.  Miss a strike call, game keeps going, players don't have to sit on the bench.  Holding call costs 10 yards, but not the player.  Reach in foul could cost a player 10 minutes of playing time, hence, bigger deal and blown way out of proportion by folks. 
Chill, famb.  You're speaking way too much knowledge in here.

*whistles CP for a flagrant 2*

You say it's a bigger deal. But then say people blow it out of proportion. That doesn't really make sense.

Obviously people talk about things more if they are a bigger deal.

You say it's a bigger deal. But then say people blow it out of proportion. That doesn't really make sense.

All I know is that David Stern's interview with Michael Wilbon last game was one of the more cringeworthy things I've been fortunate enough to witness. 

The refs are human they make mistakes. Sometimes they gamble on games they're officiating...it happens lol

Seriously though Stern has changed the way the game of basketball is played...for the worse. How much longer will it be until the league figures out what an offensive foul is. When will there be something done about the flopping, the stupid pump fake and hit the defender, the softness, traveling, player bias, meaningless double fouls, inconsistent technicals ect. Just tonight a ref literally blew the whistle during a last second shot and then just said F it im not gonna call anything. Later on, they call a foul on Durant (who didnt commit a foul) and then switched it to Westbrook who didnt touch anyone at all. If you're going to switch a call you better be sure you're right. They couldnt have been more wrong. These aren't missed calls, these are refs picking and choosing what they wanna do to dictate the game. The ongoing inconsistency is just driving me crazy. Because of all this we now have players, I mean crybaby females, playing to see what they can get away with. The fans are even worse because of this too. Now nobody knows what a foul is and there's just pointless arguing.

None of this is an issue in college ball. Or any other sport. If it was we'd be talking about other leagues being rigged too, but no one does. There are questionable calls with the hits in the NFL but thats because these past few years there are legitimate issues w/ player safety rising. In baseball each ump has their own strike zone and the players know that. Calling a ball or a strike is a little bit different then a ref literally not knowing what an offensive foul is or letting one player flop but not the other, or letting Lebron off but not Luke Walton.

So I'm guessing, for yall's benefit we should just have robots reffing these games.. Goodness.. Only way we can have fair treatment now..

Think about it, you get a reach in foul early in Q1 for your second foul.  Same as a horrible ball/strike call in the 4th inning. 

Ain't no rule that the player HAS to be taken out right then and there, coaches just play it safe and pull the guy.  Much like a bad spot in football, and coaches punt on 4th and 1, even tho you should be able to get 1 single yard for a first down. 
That player COULD play the rest of the game and not pick up another foul. 

So when I say bigger deal, I am not saying it's made bigger by the refs or how fans react at the game, but how everyone overreacts to it.  They make it a bigger deal than it really truly is. 

Now, if Durant gets 4 fouls in 8 minutes of the first half, ok, I might be lookin at the refs, and honestly, I have felt he's been taken out of this series, but I damn well don't think that the league mandates that KD sit the bench more due to foul trouble, what kind of logic would that be?  Hell, for that matter, why would the league not make EVERY series go 6-7 games?  What, are they half assin their fix? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Bad calls on balls and strikes, same as a bad spot in football, same as a foul.  Spur of the moment judgement calls in which a human being has to be 100% sure in what they are seeing to make a call, without the benefit of 50 HD camera's like we all get on our 50+ inch tv's.  Give us a whistle and no second looks, we'd %!#% up a lot of calls too. 

Back
Top Bottom