NT, I failed the vision test for the CHP. Why me & what has you down?

Today I had my Physical Agility Test for the California HighwayPatrol. I get there excited; #15 in line as there were a couple hundred in total.

I woke up at 0500, and drove 1 hour and 15 minutes to the testing site. The very FIRST test of the day, (vision test), I failed. I knew my left eye was a bitshaky,

but I thought it was not much of a problem to keep me out. I found out about 5 months ago I have a slight astigmatism. My right eye is extremely on point.

20/40 uncorrected and 20/20 corrected vision is required in order to advance.

The proctor said sorry kid, you're going to have to get glasses, contacts or laser eye surgery and re-apply in 6months.
ohwell.gif
frown.gif

My heart sank immediately as I realized everything I prepared for has to be put on hold. Ive doneso much for this career and to be dropped like that hurt.

Especially in an area I thought there shouldn't be a problem. I have my ride-along scheduled for this upcoming Wednesday, but man I'm so out of it.Today has been such a downer.

I can still apply yes, but they wont be hiring as much as much by the time I get back into the system.
smh.gif
smh.gif
It's already hard as hell to get in with the standards lessened and now they will soon rise again.

I guess this is what happens when you put all of your eggs in one basket. Mind you I am 20 yearsold, but I can't think of anything else I would want to do.

Is anyone else feeling down because of something this weekend? I sure hope not. I will re-applyasap, and hopefully this will not be a problem. I just feel like I let myself down,

along with all of my family who is pulling for me.

tired.gif

EDIT: I have an appointment set up for Tuesday the 21st to seek soft contact lenses!
happy.gif

everything i'm going to be doing next year will all prepare and lead up to my dream after i graduate college in four years. i don't know what i woulddo if something beyond my control were to happen and my dream would never be realized.

Sorry to hear.

Don't give up on your dream.

It isn't your fault you have an astigmatism. I have it as well and wear corrective lens.

If you aren't comfortable wearing glasses, contacts or laser eye surgery may suffice.

To make it easier on you during the testing, get contacts. Frames might be a hassle, as you probably won't be used to having them on your face when youtake the test again.

When you re-apply, make sure that you tell them you've already been accepted before and you had to reapply due to vision problems. It'll probably makeit easier to get accepted.

Other than that, just make sure everything else is in check and wait for that 6 months to pass.

Thanks NT. I appreciate your support. Thanks for taking the time to read my essay
laugh.gif
I don't know how to do the spoiler trick.

Well, everything happens for a reason I suppose, and at least I will get better vision out of this
happy.gif

It's just depressing because I didn't see this coming. No joke, I wanted to cry. I was very damn near letting it all out while sitting in the car.

Originally Posted by atljunkie

Today I had my Physical Agility Test for the California Highway Patrol. I get there excited; #15 in line as there were a couple hundred in total.

I woke up at 0500, and drove an hour and 15 minutes to the testing site. The very FIRST test of the day, (vision test), I failed. I knew my left eye was a bit shaky,

but I thought it was not much of a problem to keep me out. I found out about 5 months ago I have a slight astigmatism. My right eye is extremely on point.

20/40 uncorrected and 20/20 corrected vision is required in order to advance.

The proctor said sorry kid, you're going to have to get glasses, contacts or laser eye surgery and re-apply in 6 months.
ohwell.gif
frown.gif

My heart sank immediately as I realized everything I prepared for has to be put on hold. Ive done so much for this career and to be dropped like that hurt.

Especially in an area I thought there shouldn't be a problem. I have my ride-along scheduled for this upcoming Wednesday, but man I'm so out of it. Today has been such a downer.

I can still apply yes, but they wont be hiring as much as much by the time I get back into the system.
smh.gif
smh.gif
It's already hard as hell to get in with the standards lessened and now they will soon rise again.

I guess this is what happens when you put all of your eggs in one basket. Mind you I am 20 years old, but I can't think of anything else I would want to do.

Is anyone else feeling down because of something this weekend? I sure hope not. I will re-apply asap, and hopefully this will not be a problem. I just feel like I let myself down,

along with all of my family who is pulling for me.

tired.gif
laugh.gif
DEVASTATION

I can't even describe what has me down, people would probably justify my despair.

Some burdens are better off bared alone.

Originally Posted by LLC Money

So you fail an eye test, and then you come in here trying to mess up my vision with a new color font for each paragraph?
EDIT: I'm sorry you feel that way sir.

Damn bro that Sucks. i feel you though, casue im going to school for criminal justice to be Police officer

Originally Posted by BlazeKicks

Damn bro that Sucks. i feel you though, casue im going to school for criminal justice to be Police officer
Good luck! Stay focused friend.

I edited the title so that people know what to expect when entering this thread.

I'm going to assume that you're not the type to quit so easily so I hope that you have people close to you that will keep your spirits up and help youstay positive.

A little perseverance and some good friends will see you through this speed bump.

At one point I wanted CHP as well. Hope you get that gig next time around. I know exactly how you feel though, for real.

that suck to hear..but if you were aware you had vision problems you should of seen an eye doctor before hand

Unlucky mate, sorry to hear about that. Hopefully your eye appointment goes well. At least when you rock up again in six months they'll see you have a bitof determination and a real desire for the job.

Failed your Eye Test....

Yea thats exactly what we need...Cops who now legitimately jump because think they saw something questionable.

Go with something else son, "The world needs more bartenders"

The dilemma that I just recently thought about includes:

[color= rgb(51, 153, 204)]Possible solution:[/color]
-Getting glasses. Re-applying and taking the test that way. Then get contacts once I passed.

Problem: Might not be allowed. I'll have to ask an Officer soon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[color= rgb(51, 153, 204)]Possible solution:[/color]
-Just waiting the 6 months. I'll be done with my AA. I would have been wearing contacts for that period of time. I'll be 21 y.o.
Waited for things to have spaced out (somewhat recent citation), and allow for more maturity and accomplishments.

Problem: I have to wait 6+ months. They will probably not be hiring as much as they are now.

[Right now choice 2 is looking like the more logical choice, yet my dad feels that I am giving up/calling it quits, by not going after what I want]

?

Back
Top Bottom