NT: I have a school problem vol. POSSIBLE RELIGOUS FREEDOM TAKEN????

well at my school if you average above an 80, dont miss more than 3 days of the class, and never get a referral you get to be exempt from the final exam.
every friday it is mandatory for all muslims to go to friday prayer at around 12:30, so that means i would have to skip 3rd and 4th period, but since its areligious they use to not count it as an abscence. all of the sudden they decided to count it as an excused abscence but it would not count against exemptions.i was told this about two weeks ago. so then today i go and ask to be exempt and now theyre telling me that friday prayer abscences count against exemptionsone week before the finals. i do not have any other absences except the friday prayer ones, and now they tell me i cant be exempt. do i have an argument andwhat should i do?

EDIT: the things that gets me is that they tell me it doesnt count at first and then a week before finals they say it counts and these are my hardest classesto

Yes you have an argument because they can't deny you the right to practice your beliefs you should take it up with the school board or dean depending ifyou in college or high school.

hell no, argue your point! they're acting up.
smh.gif

^ i know but what can I do, who should i talk to and since theres only one week wats the possibility of overturning this?

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

^ uhmmm.... the principal?

i already did that they said the main office is the one in charge of it and theyll talk to them and get back to me, but yea im pissed

^ would it be worth it, would me alone have the possibility of changing this or should i bring people with me?

Originally Posted by GingersAintBad

study up and get off niketalk. if you got 80s all year then what do you have to worry about, quit whining.

actually all my grades are above 97, and i take all AP classes, but the hardest exams for me would be chemistry and english and they are the classes that iskip for friday prayer, i just dont think its fair that they dont even tell me i have to bug them to make sure i get exempt then on top of that they change atthe last second

Its not fair, but thats life. Unfortunately everyone at one point or another will get the short of the stick so to speak. If you pushed it you would probablybe allowed to be exempt, but I would study up just in case.

and rickybadman: commit that.

Over 97 WOW
eek.gif
. ask your counselor about it. Someone that knows the schools rules and that will back you up.

Originally Posted by IronmanFitness

do you pray the other 4 times a day? if not then hit the books

bro i pray every prayer, im more on the religious side like growing out a full beard at the age of 16, so this is very important to me

I understand the gripe....

they changed rules midstream...if you had known they would count against you...an alternative could have been thought up....but since you were operating underthe rules they told you in the first place...there was no opportunity to even think of an alternative.

be prepared to take those finals though...just in case

wow i feel special dirty posted in one of my threads, jk
only thing is im not prepared on what to say and who to say it to

1. talk to the teacher first, since I assume it's their rule about absences and exemptions
tell them what I wrote...

you shouldn't be penalized by not being exempted from the final exams b/c you were operating under the guidelines/rules that were told to you in thebeginning -- that your absences due to religious reasons would not be counted against the exemption.

If you had known they would be counted against you, then a possible alternative could have been thought up, but to change the rules midstream is not fair.

2. if that doesn't work...go to the principal...state the same

You can take it up with administration and it is messed up that they did that, but it's not a rights violation as they're still allowing you topractice and it's an excused absence. And you're not entitled to the exemption, it's just an incentive to do well so thats not like a rightsviolation either. But, I think it's still wrong to change the rules like that so I would definately complain to administration. And the PTA, do they havePTAs in High School?? lol some organization anyways

oh i miss the days of high school when i would leave calculus for prayer on fridays
laugh.gif
...id end up simply ditching the rest of the day.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

1. talk to the teacher first, since I assume it's their rule about absences and exemptions
tell them what I wrote...

you shouldn't be penalized by not being exempted from the final exams b/c you were operating under the guidelines/rules that were told to you in the beginning -- that your absences due to religious reasons would not be counted against the exemption.

If you had known they would be counted against you, then a possible alternative could have been thought up, but to change the rules midstream is not fair.

2. if that doesn't work...go to the principal...state the same

its not the teachers rule, its the admin's i think, but when i talked to them, they said it was the main office, im just wondering if me alone can makethe difference or would i have to get my parents involved and what not

Back
Top Bottom