NT Lets talk tattoos in the professional work field.

The last thing that someone being rescued from a burning car would be thinking about is your tattoos.

Yes tattoos are becoming more socially accepted, but they are still looked at as unprofessional in corporate America.

Originally Posted by YoUNg bR3aD

Originally Posted by JiGGa66two4

I used to be a manager at Best Buy, and literally3 months before I left I got a half sleeve on my right arm. I was consitantly interacting with millionaires on a daily basis, and they were blown away by the work. Now I am in the finance industry, and I wear a shirt and tie to work. I am getting ready to drop it onto my chest late srping. Also, during inerviews, you are not obligated to tell a potential employer about tattoos you may have; Unless you are becoming a police officer and doing narc work.

That is really good to know... Say for instance in my case I have a tattoo on my neck... Which cant be covered by a shirt and tie... but if I get something like this "tattoo camo" stuff that covers it up and use it when I go on the interview but when I get hired I come in with a neck tatt... Could they do anything about it like fire me because of it? Or would that be like discrimination?

For instance, my new job has a clear dress code that they have worked into their dress code. If they have a strict dress code that is on paper, you will haveto wear camo on our neck, however, if you get the dress code and it does not list anything about neck or hand tattoos being covered, then you are fine. I am inshirt and tie, so none of my tats can be seen, and therefore, no one I work with even knows I have them til summer time comes around and I wear tshirts to thebars and what not!

I work in the IT department & it's not an issue. I have tats on both my wrist but I was comtemplating getting a sleeve for some years because I mightgo into management. But I've decided that I'm going to just do it.

I work in the insurance biz and is super white collared in every way and there are tons of guys and gals with tattoos. I have a forearm tattoo and thought itwould be an issue but it has never been a problem at all. The only time it could be is if it is super hot and you are forced to wear a long sleeve. That ismore of a personal issue than a work one.

But pretty much stay away from areas you can't cover like face, neck, hands and for woman...feet.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

i dont think it would matter for firefighters...

EDIT: but like people have been saying...check with your department

i have a corporate job. im getting a couple this year but nothing past my elbow. just gonna keep them on my upper arms and possibly my back/shoulder

dude you've been saying this for years. Just do it already lol

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

i have a corporate job. im getting a couple this year but nothing past my elbow. just gonna keep them on my upper arms and possibly my back/shoulder

laugh.gif

i was supposed to get it done by end of 2009...couldnt finalize a designt tho...it'll be done...6 months

TypeRPinoY wrote:

DeadsetAce wrote:

laugh.gif

i was supposed to get it done by end of 2009...couldnt finalize a designt tho...it'll be done...6 months

Best wait till you get it all down. I spent 2 months doing research on shops and the artwork and waited another 4 months to do the tat....and I still don'treally like it. I am trying to salvage it by adding color in the long run. But yeah....just wait till you get it right.

Also, depends on where you work. My job isn't particularly white collar (I work for a non-profit), but I work in DC, and Washington is still a prettyconservative town. I would guess if ytou were in NY, SF, LA, they'd be a lot more accepting. But like everyone else said, tats

i dont think that will be a bad thing for a firefighter in another job yea

I teach and I don't have any that show.. nor do any of the other teachers.. Some professions are more lax about it but with a job like teaching its a highrisk. But really I don't think it should matter, but I'm not going to be the rebel without a job..

Originally Posted by Halftime718

Your tattoo is one of the best from that thread Fong, what exactly don't you like about it?

I just have high expectations. Reading mags all day about tattoos, I guess I wanted something that was mag worthy. But someone told me that a lot of peoplelike me have tattoo regret...so it is a common thing until you except it. It has been over a year and I still have mixed feelings on it. But I plan to get sometouch ups done soon, so hopefully that will make it better. Thanks though....

Your a firefighter. Nobody cares if you have tattoos. Your job is to save people from burning buildings not look professional and speak to millionaire clients,handle court cases, etc.

Originally Posted by CPinoy

But its not possible since I want to be a psychologist

maybe you can place it strategically on your neck so that its covered up by your collar?

depends on your career too. I'm in dental school right now and they strongly advise against tattoos/piercings/etc. because of the professionalismyou're supposed to carry as a dentist...sounds like BS to me

Back
Top Bottom