NT Mechanics, Come In....

Ok so my car won't start. Earlier this morning when I got off work at 7am, it started but sounded like it hard trouble starting. Everything was fine on the drive home. I stopped at the liquor store to get some milk, and when I tried to start the car again, it started but sounded like it had an even harder time starting. I eventually get home and everything is cool. Fast forward to now, I tried to start the car to go to work and it won't start. My lights in the car come on, although the interior lights are quite dim, and the car clicks but doesn't start. What could it be?
Battery? Starter? Alternator?

Thanks..

Its the starter. If the lightswork its not the battery.
If the batterys good its not the alternator. Your car doesnt use the alternator to start

Sounds like your battery isn't charging. Could be a few reasons for that. Check to make sure there isn't any corrosion buildup around the battery terminals obstructing the connection. Hopefully its not an alternator.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Ok so my car won't start. Earlier this morning when I got off work at 7am, it started but sounded like it hard trouble starting. Everything was fine on the drive home. I stopped at the liquor store to get some milk, and when I tried to start the car again, it started but sounded like it had an even harder time starting. I eventually get home and everything is cool. Fast forward to now, I tried to start the car to go to work and it won't start. My lights in the car come on, although the interior lights are quite dim, and the car clicks but doesn't start. What could it be?
Battery? Starter? Alternator?

Thanks..

How does the car sound when you turn the key? Is it dead?
Rapid tap?  Completely dead?

Makes/Model would help.  An alternator issue would usually lead to your dashboard battery icon lighting up.

I'm guessing it's either the starter or battery.  It sounds like the batter though.

Starter or Alternator. If the lights come on but they are low there must not be enough juice in the battery to turn the car on. Also check your spark plugs, when is the last time you changed them?

Well I just went and tried to start it again, and it didn't make the clicking noise this time. It somewhat made the "rr-rr-rr" sound..

The engine is an SR20DE RR

check to see if you're getting enough power to the battery, make sure the plugs are on the battery......

Check your battery's voltage first.  Start at the least expensive part then work up
happy.gif

ayejreeun wrote:
Check your battery's voltage first.  Start at the least expensive part then work up
happy.gif

i agree. a bad connection can do it too. clean up the terminals and/or check for a loose connection. sounds like a weak/old battery.

GL

I had the same issue with my car. The lights would work, but the car wouldn't start unless I jumped it. I tried changing the starter and the same thing happened. I got a new battery ($120
30t6p3b.gif
) and everything was fine. Sounds to me like you could use a new battery. Also get your spark plugs checked

It is most likely the battery. You could get it checked for free at pepboys or something.

And yes, sometimes batteries do just die that quickly.

Is not the battery, something in this case the Alternator is not charging the battery enough so I believe is the alternator or could also be the starter.

So got the car jumped and it started fine. I think it's the battery not holding the charge..If it was the alternator, my car would eventually die on me when driving since that's what provides the car with electrical power when it's on. Does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom