NT Military Members: Combat Boot Recommendations?

Interesting thread. As I've seen companies like Nike, Oakley, etc make military boots, I've wondered about this... I'm sure the DoD gives armed-forces folks standard-issue boots, but are you also allowed to purchase your own boot of choice and not use what they give you? Are there certain standards/requirements that have to be met for the boots?

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Interesting thread. As I've seen companies like Nike, Oakley, etc make military boots, I've wondered about this... I'm sure the DoD gives armed-forces folks standard-issue boots, but are you also allowed to purchase your own boot of choice and not use what they give you? Are there certain standards/requirements that have to be met for the boots?
As far as the Army goes, yeah. You can buy different brands, but they have to be between 8-10 inches, tan leather, no zippers, no velcro... etc. etc.

And then, even if you go out and buy commercial boots that meet all those requirements, and the First Sergeant or Sergeant Major says that he doesn't like them... You can't wear them.

My Marine friends told me that they can only wear issue boots. 

As far as the Army goes, yeah. You can buy different brands, but they have to be between 8-10 inches, tan leather, no zippers, no velcro... etc. etc.

And then, even if you go out and buy commercial boots that meet all those requirements, and the First Sergeant or Sergeant Major says that he doesn't like them... You can't wear them.

My Marine friends told me that they can only wear issue boots. 

BATES joint ill for comfort.. i doubt dudes is doing patrols like that anymore but those jungle boots are harsh on the feet after a few hr at full combat load.
i seen a few ssgt's and up rock whatever they wanted to. I was attached to a grunt unit so I was on my own program doing my own thing... i kept it simple and rocked out with one issued and one Bates model with dr scholl insoles... 

BATES joint ill for comfort.. i doubt dudes is doing patrols like that anymore but those jungle boots are harsh on the feet after a few hr at full combat load.
i seen a few ssgt's and up rock whatever they wanted to. I was attached to a grunt unit so I was on my own program doing my own thing... i kept it simple and rocked out with one issued and one Bates model with dr scholl insoles... 

Thanks for the replies. They are indeed phasing out the desert boots (unless you get deployed), so we're stuck with the sage color boots unless we get a bag to wear.

I wanted to try the Nike SFBs, but they don't come in sage sadly. So I looked for something similar, and the Rocky C4's came up. A lot of my friends recommended the S2Vs too... might go with that one as well.

We do get standard issue boots... I burnt through those while I was in ROTC and when we were out in the field for training. After that, I just invested in my own boots, and as long as they were in regs, it was okay. I don't know the exact regulations, but usually the 3rd party sellers and brands will say that it's DoD approved and what not.

Thanks for the replies. They are indeed phasing out the desert boots (unless you get deployed), so we're stuck with the sage color boots unless we get a bag to wear.

I wanted to try the Nike SFBs, but they don't come in sage sadly. So I looked for something similar, and the Rocky C4's came up. A lot of my friends recommended the S2Vs too... might go with that one as well.

We do get standard issue boots... I burnt through those while I was in ROTC and when we were out in the field for training. After that, I just invested in my own boots, and as long as they were in regs, it was okay. I don't know the exact regulations, but usually the 3rd party sellers and brands will say that it's DoD approved and what not.

When you purchase your OWN boots those regulations to follow. I've seen alot of people that buy sick boots with this new look or cool way to tighten them besides laces. nope you arent allowed to wear them, so there S.O.L.
laugh.gif
. and im deployed and my MP Company we have a couple infantry dudes and we have this one tanker his boots the way he tightens them our straps i think like 3-4 straps there kind of like belts. They put out that ONLY tankers are only authorized to wear them to due there job. but I'm happy with my Nikes.

When you purchase your OWN boots those regulations to follow. I've seen alot of people that buy sick boots with this new look or cool way to tighten them besides laces. nope you arent allowed to wear them, so there S.O.L.
laugh.gif
. and im deployed and my MP Company we have a couple infantry dudes and we have this one tanker his boots the way he tightens them our straps i think like 3-4 straps there kind of like belts. They put out that ONLY tankers are only authorized to wear them to due there job. but I'm happy with my Nikes.

Like others said, they'll issue a pair but they're not the best quality stuff out there.  A buddy of mine was issued $40 New Balances with the Marines so I try to ship him some Vomeros every year to keep his feet from being destroyed.

Like others said, they'll issue a pair but they're not the best quality stuff out there.  A buddy of mine was issued $40 New Balances with the Marines so I try to ship him some Vomeros every year to keep his feet from being destroyed.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

We just got issued these Converse's for Afghanistan...they feel really good and light. The sole design give you a strong heel to toe pushoff when you walk. Also the side zip makes it easier to get in and out of. I'm not military so I'm not sure how the rules are for boots with the AF. DoD pretty much lets us do whatever.
r70k7k.jpg

I am getting these Merrells as well, when I don't want to wear a full on boot, and to walk around the base.
1187936.jpg

Don't get Goretex in the desert environment. The fine powder like sand clogs the Goretex pores and your feet get drenched in their own sweat. I learned that lesson with a pair ofo GoreTex XCR North Face hiking boots when I was in Iraq.
i have the first ones.... man them things are comfortable as hell, only thing is they are a bit heavy on the foot compared to my other boots... kinda resemble moon boots lol

i wear rocky's on the regular especially when im in the field its a great IDGAF BOOT
laugh.gif
i got another spare stashed just in case for ceremony purposes or some special event
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

We just got issued these Converse's for Afghanistan...they feel really good and light. The sole design give you a strong heel to toe pushoff when you walk. Also the side zip makes it easier to get in and out of. I'm not military so I'm not sure how the rules are for boots with the AF. DoD pretty much lets us do whatever.
r70k7k.jpg

I am getting these Merrells as well, when I don't want to wear a full on boot, and to walk around the base.
1187936.jpg

Don't get Goretex in the desert environment. The fine powder like sand clogs the Goretex pores and your feet get drenched in their own sweat. I learned that lesson with a pair ofo GoreTex XCR North Face hiking boots when I was in Iraq.
i have the first ones.... man them things are comfortable as hell, only thing is they are a bit heavy on the foot compared to my other boots... kinda resemble moon boots lol

i wear rocky's on the regular especially when im in the field its a great IDGAF BOOT
laugh.gif
i got another spare stashed just in case for ceremony purposes or some special event
pimp.gif

i might have to try the nike ones i been meaning to, how do they comapre to the oakley joints?

i might have to try the nike ones i been meaning to, how do they comapre to the oakley joints?

Those Nike SF boots get some excellent reviews from people that have worn them. The Converses I posted also get excellent reviews, feels like you are walking on air. The Converses also come in Sage Greenand without the side zipper as well. I'm usually brand conscious and wouldn't even mess with Converse, but when it comes to boots for deployment I could give a damn what the brand is...comfort and reliability is paramount. The warzone aint the place to be gettin all cute.

With that being said I'll be doing some convoying and getting on and off C-130's and Chinooks, with gear and cargo all over the place...I need a protective boot. But if it was just for kicking it on the FOB, I'd go for the more lightweight low profile boots, or a pair of Merrells, but I know that's not an option for military other than spec ops.

Those Nike SF boots get some excellent reviews from people that have worn them. The Converses I posted also get excellent reviews, feels like you are walking on air. The Converses also come in Sage Greenand without the side zipper as well. I'm usually brand conscious and wouldn't even mess with Converse, but when it comes to boots for deployment I could give a damn what the brand is...comfort and reliability is paramount. The warzone aint the place to be gettin all cute.

With that being said I'll be doing some convoying and getting on and off C-130's and Chinooks, with gear and cargo all over the place...I need a protective boot. But if it was just for kicking it on the FOB, I'd go for the more lightweight low profile boots, or a pair of Merrells, but I know that's not an option for military other than spec ops.

Back
Top Bottom