NT: Official Personal Finances Thread

Marcus by Goldman Sachs is offering up to $500 bonus with a deposit of $50k in new funds.

Boost your savings. Get a 1% Cash Bonus up to $500.

For a limited time, take advantage of this offer on our high-yield Online Savings Account. Deposit $1,000 or more in new funds into a new or existing account within 10 business days of enrollment in the offer, maintain your balance at enrollment plus the new funds for 90 days, and we’ll give you a 1% cash bonus up to $500. Enroll in this offer at the link below or by calling 1-855-730-SAVE (1-855-730-7283) by 11:59 pm ET on 7/29/19.

$50k in a savings account is a long term losing bet. Invest that.
Ehh depends on how much assets you have. I think building to that number as a semi long term cash target is reasonable. But on like a 80-20 split between investing and cash.

50k in cash is better served in something like VUSXX , thats where I park my cash when i’m out of the market, great yield and exempt from state taxes.

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/betterment-launches-everyday-savings-cash-account/

On the cash conversation. I'm considering it. Same rate as the MF I'm in and no NAV risk (admittedly I was never concerned about the MF I was in but zero is better)

The checking will be the main draw.

I did it. I already have Betterment so it's a no brainer. If their checking accounts come with a yield component I'm making that my primary bank.

Last edited:
With market uncertainty I parked some of my money in a PNC high yield savings @ 2.33% absolutely no issues transferring money in or out. Needed some cash and ACH'd 40k with no problems, deal didn't go through so I put it back in. lol

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/betterment-launches-everyday-savings-cash-account/

On the cash conversation. I'm considering it. Same rate as the MF I'm in and no NAV risk (admittedly I was never concerned about the MF I was in but zero is better)

The checking will be the main draw.

I did it. I already have Betterment so it's a no brainer. If their checking accounts come with a yield component I'm making that my primary bank.

I just transferred my cash reserve from Ally to Wealthfront too :lol:

Think I’ll probably stick to Wealthfront...read the fine print and saw that this is a promotional period until 12/31/19. Now of course Wealthfront or any other high yield savings can slash their APY as well but don’t want to go through the trouble of opening another checking

I just transferred my cash reserve from Ally to Wealthfront too :lol:

Think I’ll probably stick to Wealthfront...read the fine print and saw that this is a promotional period until 12/31/19. Now of course Wealthfront or any other high yield savings can slash their APY as well but don’t want to go through the trouble of opening another checking
As soon as the yield drops I am out and back to my mutual fund. It's only a few dollars of difference but I use the interest to invest in the market or pay a bill so every penny counts.

Just submitted my claim for the Equifax data breach settlement. Can get up to $125 for each claim. Did one for each of my family members as well.

Last edited:
Oh I took the credit monitoring for six years over the money. And you could just apply for the ten hours thing which I did. I feel like the monitoring is more of a value add

Oh I took the credit monitoring for six years over the money. And you could just apply for the ten hours thing which I did. I feel like the monitoring is more of a value add

I opted for the cash since I primarily monitor through credit karma, as well as credit wise (Capital One) and credit journey (Chase). Also request a full credit report for free once a year.

I see the point. Like for example I don't own fixed income at all in my portfolio. I can't say I'll ever keep 50k of cash around but I understand the reasoning behind it.

The purpose of the Marcus 1% bonus post was to take advantage of the quick 6.15% APR in 3 months. Withdraw the funds as soon as the bonus hits the account.

In my case, I maintain a 6 months emergency fund of $50k anyway. Anything more is invested in businesses, real estate, or stocks.

I’ve got 300k in cash just sitting for this next big purchase next month and it’s just laughable at this point.

Back
Top Bottom