NT: School Me on Bartending

best chance is to go to bartending school...barbacking is stupid in my opinion because really hoping for a chance to be a bartender. if u go to bar tending school, ur licensed and can immediately be hired as a bartender and lots of places look for bartenders during the summer.

best chance is to go to bartending school...barbacking is stupid in my opinion because really hoping for a chance to be a bartender. if u go to bar tending school, ur licensed and can immediately be hired as a bartender and lots of places look for bartenders during the summer.

Bartending school won't help much. It will only teach you the basics, and it doesn't actually prepare you for bartending. Best bet is to work your way up, like someone said. Every restaurant/bar is different when it comes to drinks, so try getting a job at a restaurant/bar first and then learn their drinks and have a good friendship with your manager. If the manager likes you and sees that you know the drinks, he may put you as a bar back

Bartending school won't help much. It will only teach you the basics, and it doesn't actually prepare you for bartending. Best bet is to work your way up, like someone said. Every restaurant/bar is different when it comes to drinks, so try getting a job at a restaurant/bar first and then learn their drinks and have a good friendship with your manager. If the manager likes you and sees that you know the drinks, he may put you as a bar back

Originally Posted by stateofsingularity

It's more profitable with **** . . . .

Quoted for truth
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by Si3xers55

100% false.  you NEED to know people.  you get that from working in the industry, not bar tending school.

100% false.  you NEED to know people.  you get that from working in the industry, not bar tending school.

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Pretty much. 
If you do get a gig out of bartending school you'll be working Monday's and Tuesday's and will probably be doing lunch, if it's in a restaurant.

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Pretty much. 
If you do get a gig out of bartending school you'll be working Monday's and Tuesday's and will probably be doing lunch, if it's in a restaurant.

yup, and no one buys drinks at lunch.  you'll just be serving people who sit at the bar because they didn't make a reservation.
laugh.gif

yup, and no one buys drinks at lunch.  you'll just be serving people who sit at the bar because they didn't make a reservation.
laugh.gif

Alright, here's some reasonable advice.
There's several ways of going about it:

1) As mentioned become a bar back (assistant to the actual bartender) do the grunt work and learn drinks on the job

2) Bartending school (a bit pricey) but if you don't want to become a bar back then it's a clear cut alternative

3) Learn from experience. (What I did):

I suggest number three for several reasons. If you frequent a bar (or order a drink/bottle enough) you should know how it tastes like, the process of preparing it and how much it costs. Take for example something like a girl drink, buttery nipple, it's a third of everything in ratio, (butterscotch schnapps, mid-top shelf vodka and baileys creme, caramel preferred). You order it enough times, try a few times and use the same ingredients. When you look up (or try other drinks) do the same thing. What else uses schnapps, vodka or creme. Go through the same procedure. Eventually you'll get into wines and other spirits (liquors) that's for the more "sophisticated" and older crowd, with regards to pairing or fine dining.

Starting off with even 5-10 basic recipes in due time and practice. You can learn on your own how to make up to 20-30 drinks within a few months.  However I would still suggest getting actual experience in a bar, that way you're familiar with the set up, materials and customs necessary to make certain drinks. I regret not doing it officially because then I would have made more money, but considering I'm trying to make a bit extra on the side I might reconsider it. Also most social times (Thursday evenings up to Saturday evenings) will pretty much be sucked by this newfound job. Given that's when most of the business happens. Good luck if you have any other questions just ask or even read up a Bartending for Dummies book which is also a reliable reference.

Learn how to make these drinks: Most commonly order from my experience and will provide a good foundation:

AMF

Buttery Nipples

Liquid Cocaines

Long Island

Lemon Drop

Manhattans

Jager Bombs

Washington Apples/Red Headed Sluts

Good luck.

Alright, here's some reasonable advice.
There's several ways of going about it:

1) As mentioned become a bar back (assistant to the actual bartender) do the grunt work and learn drinks on the job

2) Bartending school (a bit pricey) but if you don't want to become a bar back then it's a clear cut alternative

3) Learn from experience. (What I did):

I suggest number three for several reasons. If you frequent a bar (or order a drink/bottle enough) you should know how it tastes like, the process of preparing it and how much it costs. Take for example something like a girl drink, buttery nipple, it's a third of everything in ratio, (butterscotch schnapps, mid-top shelf vodka and baileys creme, caramel preferred). You order it enough times, try a few times and use the same ingredients. When you look up (or try other drinks) do the same thing. What else uses schnapps, vodka or creme. Go through the same procedure. Eventually you'll get into wines and other spirits (liquors) that's for the more "sophisticated" and older crowd, with regards to pairing or fine dining.

Starting off with even 5-10 basic recipes in due time and practice. You can learn on your own how to make up to 20-30 drinks within a few months.  However I would still suggest getting actual experience in a bar, that way you're familiar with the set up, materials and customs necessary to make certain drinks. I regret not doing it officially because then I would have made more money, but considering I'm trying to make a bit extra on the side I might reconsider it. Also most social times (Thursday evenings up to Saturday evenings) will pretty much be sucked by this newfound job. Given that's when most of the business happens. Good luck if you have any other questions just ask or even read up a Bartending for Dummies book which is also a reliable reference.

Learn how to make these drinks: Most commonly order from my experience and will provide a good foundation:

AMF

Buttery Nipples

Liquid Cocaines

Long Island

Lemon Drop

Manhattans

Jager Bombs

Good luck.

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

AMF
Buttery Nipples

Liquid Cocaines

Long Island

Lemon Drop

Manhattans

Jager Bombs

And cocktails......................................................

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

AMF
Buttery Nipples

Liquid Cocaines

Long Island

Lemon Drop

Manhattans

Jager Bombs

And cocktails......................................................

Back
Top Bottom