NT...School me on the military

Discussion in 'General' started by 651akathepaul, Feb 24, 2009.

1. 651akathepaul

651akathepaul

Here's the situation:

I graduated last spring with a business degree. I'm considering OCS (officer cadidate school), for the navy probably, but I'm uncertain on whether Ishould dedicate 4 years of my life to 1/2 my time at sea. I'm 24 on Saturday. Have no wife or children to hold me back.

With the economy out of whack, the Military seems like the best way to get job security, not to mention the amazing benefits. I'm just hesitant to pull thetrigger and want to hear opinions of anyone who is/was/or wants to be in in the military or knows my situation.

Right now I'm considering the Navy and Air Force. Any suggestions? I do have tons of questions about what kind of missions I'll be on and what not,which is probably better answered by a recruiter, but most of the time they bs with you and tell you what you want to hear just to get you enlisted. So I willask NT first...

2. dunknforce

dunknforce

DO the Marines foo

I wish i would have joined earlier

In the best shape of my life, Travel all over, Going to school while still active duty, 0 bills

Its all a young man could ask for

Officers make the good $$$ too

forget about the navy and air force its to easy give yourself a challenge and be a Marine

3. datznasty

datznasty

My Dad was in the Army, I've been around it all my life. I currently work for a contractor for the US Army doing their I.T work and teaching soldiers howto do so. I think it's a great life. The diversity, the overall closeness of people (in fact to most people TOO close and comfortable), the standard ofliving, everything is above average to most places. Particularly in my example, I live in Oklahoma, so in terms of some of those things (diversity andpeople's reaction to it mainly), you REALLY can tell right away when you leave the city. The females are amazing, and the general stereotype is thateveryone in the Military is sleeping with everyone, including the married. Females love Military dudes. They literally just show up to their duty stationairport and chics are already giving the [​IMG] face. Most places give some type of Military discount, at our mall it's 20% You don't pay sales tax onbase, groceries at the Commissary are literally lie 50% or more chaper than Wal Mart even, free gyms, GI bill, I think it's a great choice

People like to be pretentious and act like it's for losers, but you can do much worse.

4. 651akathepaul

651akathepaul

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm just trying to feel my way around this, because if I do this I don't want to look back. I'm just uncertain on howit will play out.

5. lee the turntablist

lee the turntablist

with the economy the way it is it is a great way to find a source of income specially if your gonna be an officer definitely something to look into but it is adecent/big commitment + military's not for everyone

6. the rat pack is back

the rat pack is back

i'm also considering joining the military, i will be graduating from college in june and i'm thinking about going into marine ocs...

7. devildog1776

devildog1776 Banned

semper fi devildogs......

8. DVMNXK

DVMNXK

9. million dollar stacks

million dollar stacks

YUT YUT

10. smoke ya later

smoke ya later

commisary meat is cheaper, everything else is the same or more

11. the takeover

the takeover

Join the Navy [​IMG]

12. jayadict92

jayadict92

been to fort sill? spent four months there training... most boring place, ever. lawton and okc were so dull.

13. arhymingape12

arhymingape12

IM iN the national guard. And as a matter of fact im at MEPS right now, getting ready to ship to fort knox. I came in as ann e3 because of me bein in school

14. elboricua 6

elboricua 6 Banned

You the only one that know how hard do you want to push yourself and from your choices, it does not seem like very hard at all ..

No matter what, everyone gets paid the same - the only variations are location, rank, time in ..

I would say join the Marines, but that's not a challenge that everyone is willing to take and not a challenge that everyone can conquer. However, at theend of it, Marines tend to get respect all around the world .. Yes, more than any other service, Marines is a fraternity and you will see that everywhere yougo, some old timer recognize you and start telling you stories .. Most time they buy you a drink and dinner and walk away saying thank you ...

No matter what Jam you in, if a fellow Marines is near, for the most part, he'll join in to get an $+* beating along side you ... I cant care what anyoneelse say and I know is a friendly rivalry, but when it come to comradely, no other service beat the Marine .. With that said every service has their perks andits up to you to know what you are seeking ...

P.S. There's no uniform in the world that come close to the Marines Dress Blues .. PERIOD! Just want make sure I got that across! [​IMG]

15. sorkoram

sorkoram

OBJECTION

Navy Summer Whites(officers)> __* [​IMG]

If you want money, go Air Force (their rate of promotion is slower, but they got more money to toss around)
    If you want to fight the good fight and be the deadliest on Earth (a man with his rifle) -- go Marines.. SemperFidelis [​IMG][​IMG]
    If you want to stay on the boat and get tons of action when you port without having to go to the frontlines (unlessyou're internally deployed, which won't happen for a long time), go Navy

If you want to be a bum, go Army.[​IMG].lol just messin, they're ok in my book,but still [​IMG]

If you want to be one of the scariest and deadliest guys on this planet.. go in the Navy then get into BUD/s -- become aSEAL [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. elboricua 6

elboricua 6 Banned

You mean dress whites and no they're not ...

I guess you never seen a Marine wearing their dress whites huh? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. sorkoram

sorkoram

Man I'm running on 0hours of sleep but yes I meant Service Dress Whites..I actually like Service Dress Yankee too [​IMG][​IMG]

Only reason I dislike the Marines Service Dress uniforms is because of their covers, but yes I've seen them time and time again [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

if properly maintained and, if the guy isn't a p.o.s and leads from the front by setting an example, then the Dress Whites >>> [​IMG]

18. elboricua 6

elboricua 6 Banned

Marines are the trend setters when it comes to uniforms - exclude the PT gear - everyone else follows .. case in point Cammies/BDU's

19. sorkoram

sorkoram

I do like the digi's the Marines have [​IMG], but of course the Marinesare going to lead the way because they haven't changed up much from the beginning [​IMG]

new Navy PT gear is [​IMG]

both are good in my books

20. devildog1776

devildog1776 Banned

[​IMG]

21. elboricua 6

elboricua 6 Banned

We don't need to change our uniforms - We have been killing everyone else since 1775 why change something that for 2 centuries no other service has comeclose to meeting? [​IMG]

I know you are trying to stick up for your Popeye uniform wearing folks ... but come on - there's no competition there ..

22. sorkoram

sorkoram

I'm not sticking up for the enlisted, only the officers [​IMG]. I hatethe dungarees, which I'm glad I don't have to wear [​IMG]
    the blue jean dungarees [​IMG]

I'm always cool with the Marine cats and their uniforms, they NEVER look unsat, unlike some of the lame officers we got [​IMG][​IMG]

but on topic though,
    if you do go Marines OP, just make sure you're intune mentally with what you are going to go through at Parris Island or Camp Pendleton [​IMG][​IMG]

OCS isn't that bad btw if you choose to go that route for Navy or OTS for Air Force ..The Basic School for Marines [​IMG]

look up you PRT standards and go for Outstanding [​IMG]

23. solewoman

solewoman

im thinking about ocs for air force if i dont get a gov job by end of summer.

24. datznasty

datznasty

Yea that's where I'm at now, been like 17 or so of my 24 yrs. Did you ever hoop? If so, what gym did you go to?